Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #46
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I was wondering how you managed that. I didn't want results from the cloud showing, only what was on device. Searching as you suggested was bringing up all kinds of things I didn't want to see.

So I enabled parental controls and disabled the cloud. Now it only shows search results for items on the device! Much more satisfactory.

Is that how you have your Voyage set up, Harry?

Thank you! This makes collections and the device itself a whole lot easier to work with
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #47
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Note that things have moved on since the earlier posts and at the moment, it is possible to jailbreak newer devices, such as Voyages, in order to use extensions to manage collections.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #48
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Note that things have moved on since the earlier posts and at the moment, it is possible to jailbreak newer devices, such as Voyages, in order to use extensions to manage collections.
Would collections maintained in this way still be synced into the cloud? I live that feature so would not want to lose this.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #49
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
As I understand it, no - while it can be configured to leave existing collections alone, so they should still sync, I believe these would be local to the device.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #50
ac12a
ac12a began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon has done a really poor job of implementing collections.
Collections has tremendous potential as the 3rd function of a traditional library card catalog, the SUBJECT search.

But in 3 implementations, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, and "Manage your content," they stumbled.

#1 - The list of collections is out of order. This might be fine for those with only a few collections. But for those of us with MANY collections, looking for a specific collection is difficult, remember the list of collection is out of order, so you can't just go to the middle looking for a collection starting with M. That collection could be ANYPLACE in the list of collections. And the problem gets worse as you add more collections.

#2 - When you go to add a book to a collection, that list of collections is also out of order, so finding the collection to assign to the book becomes a PiA.

#3 - In "manage your content," there are several problems
- The window of collections only lists FIVE collections. This is a very small window to search through, when one has 50, 75, 100+ collections.
- It appears that there is a max number of collections.
- The list of collections is in "most recent" order, which does me very little good when looking for a specific collection to add the book to. An alternate ALPHA sort is what is needed.
- I cannot edit the name of a collection, nor delete a duplicate collection.
ac12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #51
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac12a View Post
Amazon has done a really poor job of implementing collections.
Collections has tremendous potential as the 3rd function of a traditional library card catalog, the SUBJECT search.

But in 3 implementations, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, and "Manage your content," they stumbled.

#1 - The list of collections is out of order. This might be fine for those with only a few collections. But for those of us with MANY collections, looking for a specific collection is difficult, remember the list of collection is out of order, so you can't just go to the middle looking for a collection starting with M. That collection could be ANYPLACE in the list of collections. And the problem gets worse as you add more collections.
You do know that you can change the sort, right?
Quote:
#2 - When you go to add a book to a collection, that list of collections is also out of order, so finding the collection to assign to the book becomes a PiA.
But you can search for the collection by name when you're adding the book to the collection, so...
Quote:
- The window of collections only lists FIVE collections. This is a very small window to search through, when one has 50, 75, 100+ collections.
Again...you can search for collection by name when you're adding books to collections
Quote:
- It appears that there is a max number of collections.
This one I don't know about, as I haven't run into any limit. If there is a limit, though, it's more than 79, which is the number of collections I have. [edit] I just added another 22 collections, to see if I could go over 100. I was successful. I then deleted all 22 of them.
Quote:
- The list of collections is in "most recent" order, which does me very little good when looking for a specific collection to add the book to. An alternate ALPHA sort is what is needed.
...and this exists. Just to the right of where it says "Show: Collections" it says "Sort By:" with a drop down list. The choices in the drop down are:
Name: A-Z
Name: Z-A
Created Date: Oldest-Newest
Created Date: Newest-Oldest
Modified Date: Oldest-Newest
Modified Date: Newest-Oldest
It seems to default to "Modified Date: Newest-Oldest
Quote:
- I cannot edit the name of a collection, nor delete a duplicate collection.
I was able to do both of these things.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 07-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #52
ac12a

Shari

#1 - Sorting collections
> I subsequently figured out how to sort cloud collections by viewing collections. And that is a great help.
> But I still have not figured out how to sort the collections in Kindle4PC (where I usually am, and is my master collections list) or Kindle4Mac.

> Yes, the search works for cloud collections (I do not remember seeing it before).
BUT, it only lists 5 collections, where there are more collections with that prefix.
Example, only 5 collections are listed for prefix "home" when I have 12 collections that start with "home." I cannot figure out how it selects which of the 12 collections to include in that list of 5 collections. (as of Oct21-2017)
Time to report another bug to Amazon.
> The search function is not available (that I could find) in Kindle4PC.

> Yes #2 works to solve part of the problem, however it is only a partial solution as the search response is limited to 5 collections (as of oct-21-2017)

#4 - Max number of collections, in cloud collections.
> This changed, as I confirm that I can now add more collections, where before I was stopped cold.

#5 - The list of collections is in "most recent" order, which does me very little good when looking for a specific collection to add the book to. An alternate ALPHA sort is what is needed.
> As in #1, searching works for cloud collections, to a point, because the search only displays 5 collections (not the entire list of collections with that prefix)
> Searching does not work not for collections in Kindle4PC which does not have that collection search function.

#6 - I cannot edit the name of a collection, nor delete a duplicate collection (in cloud collections)
> I can edit the name of a new collection (that I create).
> But I cannot edit the name of a collection (which was pre-populated by Amazon) in cloud collections.
> Amazon must have done some internal house cleaning, because there are no duplicate collections today, where there were many before.

Unfortunately, cloud collections and collections in Kindle4PC do not sync, so I am forced to do double work. Currently, my master collection list is on my Kindle4PC, as I started that long before there was cloud collections.

Last edited by ac12a; 10-22-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 AM   #53
ac12a

I browse a collection when I am looking for a book in a particular subject, such as photography (which is how I make my collections).

I try to limit the number of books in a collection to less than 150.
More than that and browsing a collection becomes difficult.
So I break larger collections down into sub-collections.

This was originally driven by the Kindle2 where I could only see 10 books on a screen. So browsing through a 200 book collection meant paging through 20 screens. I determined that 10 screens was a practical maximum for a collection on the K2.

The sub-collections make finding books easier in a large collection of several hundred books.
Example
- food (as the level 1 collection)
- food.breads (as the level 2 collection, or sub-collection)

For others like fiction
- Fiction (level 1)
- Fiction.historical (level2 by type of fiction)
- Fiction.fantasy (level2 by type of fiction)
- Fiction.A-H (level 2 by title A-H, for those books that don't fit into my sub-collection bucket by subject)

Once I started doing sub-collections, I started doing it for smaller collections, to make it easier to organize and find my books. This is especially when I know I am going to add more books into that collection.

Most of my books are non-fiction, so subject organization is easy.

But fiction is much harder, for me. I am still trying to figure out how to organize them, probably by genre/type of fiction/sci-fi. I have 500+ fiction and 300+ sci-fi books.

Why so MANY books?
When I can get books for "free" from Amazon, I grab it NOW, to read later.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #54
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
The one thing that Amazon could do that would make a big difference to me would be the ability to manage collections on the Kindle via PC - adding/deleting books from the Kindle itself is tedious beyond belief.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
The one thing that Amazon could do that would make a big difference to me would be the ability to manage collections on the Kindle via PC - adding/deleting books from the Kindle itself is tedious beyond belief.
Amazon used to have the collections open but too many people deleted the files and Amazon took away the openness because of this. This was back in the days of the original Kindle and maybe the Kindle 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #56
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
I agree and keep giving Amazon that feedback. Hope others are too.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote