Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Backlists self-published by authors?

The recent thread about Patricia Ryan has me wondering how many other authors there are who have self-published their own backlist titles in DRM-free places like Smashwords. I would like to purchase more books like this! Fun as it can be to discover a new author on Smashwords, sometimes I would rather go with a proven author who already has a solid reputation. I know Konrath has some stuff. Who else can you think of who is a proven, published author who has released their backlist themselves on Smashwords or another indie site?

- J.A. Konrath
- Patricia Ryan
- ?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
William Meikle has, sort of.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm doing it--The Red Church was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. I have also put up several story collections and three original novels and as soon as I get MY rights back, I am putting them all up, starting with FOREVER NEVER ENDS in September (and I will be releasing "author's preferred editions" with my original titles on them instead of the ones the publisher picked. In other words, now they are mine to share with you the way I want.)

I am really thrilled to have a chance for readers to find these books again. I published six novels with Kensington Books but I will probably earn more and reach more readers this year than I ever did in mass market paperback. This is awesome.

I also know Kevin J. Anderson is putting up some of his science fiction backlist. Konrath doesn't have any rights to his NY novels so he's publishing all the novels that NY rejected, as well as the new ones he's rejected NY on. There are dozens if not hundreds of authors doing this now and in five years almost every author will be doing this with book old and new titles. It's too simple not to.

Scott
http://www.hauntedcomputer.com

Last edited by Scott Nicholson; 07-25-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Alexis Harrington is doing her backlist through Smashwords.

Mike Stackpole is doing a couple of his old titles on his website and on Amazon.

Dana Stabenow is doing her Liam Campbell (except for the new one) and Star Svensdotter books through Amazon. They're DRM free which is good, because the one I bought had the worst formatting you can get (no paragraph indents nor with those lacking spaces between the paragraphs).

Which brings up a point. It's great that they can bring out their backlists themselves and basically get all the money for their work, but in many cases I think we as readers are often better off if they would go through someplace like EReads who will do the "publisher part" of things like formatting and stuff. Smashwords and the like make it simple to upload a Word doc and publish your material, but it's seldom I've downloaded a books from there that didn't need work before I could comfortably read it. Smashwords makes it easy (so does Amazon DTP for that matter), but I wish all their authors would spend the time to get their books to look decent. Hope that doesn't sound to negative or anything, I think it's great all the avenues that e-publishing offers authors to put out their backlists themselves and if they have the know how to do it without help great, but some need help and seem to be forgoing it to do things on the cheap with mixed results.

Some of the Book View Cafe titles are authors bringing out their backlists. There are also CJ Cherryh and friends efforts at http://www.closed-circle.net/ and the author consortium at http://awriterswork.com/

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-25-2010 at 04:14 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Tim Myers just did it! All of his backlist, (the ones originally under Elizabeth Bright, too) are now on Smashwords!!
Lighthouse series
Soap Boutique series
Candlemaking series
Card Making series (Elizabeth Bright)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Which series would you recommend for a good starter?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
A few I know:
F Paul Wilson has started.

Patricia Rice through Book View Cafe on smashwords

Mark T Sullivan has one of his.

Jon F. Merz
has added some.

Rebecca Forster legal thrillers
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Since Phenom didn't get back before my patience ran out (a process which, admittedly, can be measured in minutes, very few minutes, when I'm in a bookstore) I picked up the first books of both the Lighthouse and Candlemaking series; I'll report back.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Since Phenom didn't get back before my patience ran out (a process which, admittedly, can be measured in minutes, very few minutes, when I'm in a bookstore) I picked up the first books of both the Lighthouse and Candlemaking series; I'll report back.
I look forward to your report, these seem like books I might like.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
You know, we ought to start a sticky or some such to provide a author/linkset for ebook backlists...

Think of it as a partner to the PD ebooks we host here...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
You know, we ought to start a sticky or some such to provide a author/linkset for ebook backlists...

Think of it as a partner to the PD ebooks we host here...
Maybe a Wiki entry (with a sticky that has a link to it?) so it could be edited by anyone?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Risen was published by Pinnacle Books for six months, out of print for six years! I'm thrilled to have the rights back, to do some rewriting, and make it available again. It has me considering finishing another novel that's 80% done.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
C.J. Cherryh, Jane Fancher, and Lynn Abbey are running their own ebook store at The Closed Circle.
http://www.closed-circle.net/

They also link to other authors with similar efforts, like Barbara Hambly:
http://www.barbarahambly.com/?page_id=78#purchase
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Michael McCollum has a website where he has his backlist available (along with new works?) at http://scifi-az.com/
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Michael McCollum has a website where he has his backlist available (along with new works?) at http://scifi-az.com/
Yes, his new works are also exclusively available at his website.

Choice of format, DRM and GR free.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote