Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #571
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
That said, you should be careful with a definition of "bloat" from your somewhat limited perspective. You have not used the device like scientists do. You don't know what it's like to heavily annotate a document with sometimes three, four "sticky notes" per page; what it's like to need to jump back and forth between formulae, theorems, and explanations, several times per page across a 400 pages book. You don't know the modus operandi of someone who carries this light device always, as a portable desktop, and works on it in a shared environment without having to rely on other means such as a computer.
With the very greatest respect, ManDay, the usage you describe is hardly unique to scientists - it's common to any academic research. When I'm working on translations of my Egyptology texts on my iPad, that's precisely the way that I work: adding annotations (often several per line, never mind per page), and constantly flipping backwards and forwards between the original text and the copious reference material I'm using to translate it - hieroglyphic sign lists, dictionaries, grammar references, commentaries, etc. It's what differentiates research usage from simply "reading a book", as I might do on my eInk Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #572
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post

Sony seemed to figure out that the device would not be successful when aimed at a narrow niche, such as just lawyers.
You don't find it ironic then that the features Sony has removed, and which seems to irk some segments of potential customers, are exactly those features that lawyers might complain about for security reasons?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #573
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
ManDay,

I appreciate you taking the time to write up your use cases, and I can certainly see how some of the dropped features in the S1 were of great value to you. Sadly, I don't think there are enough users like you to fund the further development of the device, even when selling it for a grand. In the end, it will be the mass market that saves you, and us, and allows for the continued development of the product.

Sony seemed to figure out that the device would not be successful when aimed at a narrow niche, such as just lawyers. I bought my S1 from a composer who saw in it the ability to quickly write music. He moved on to the Surface Studio, an amazing 29" display that you can write on with a stylus.

I don't mean to sound so harsh and uncaring. I regret using the word "bloat". Still, I think users have to adapt when software changes. We live in this amazing world where there are so many ways to solve our problems.

I can only smile at what consumes us because I started programming on punched card machines and DECWriters, which, by the way, were terminals that printed on paper! Every new device I buy fills me with delight and astonishment. I remember when I had to use rocks, and now, look, just look at this beautiful thing!

I know you don't want to change your habit of not carrying around a laptop, but, we do indeed have the most amazing, small, lightweight laptops ever created, and ones that are a joy to use. Yes, they cost money, but you can get zero percent financing from Barclays at the Apple Store and figure out the monthly payment so that you don't pay them a dime of interest.
I appreciate your constructive attitude towards my issue with the sync capabilities of the device and also find your apt recount of technological progress delighting. The things and technologies that become possible are indeed amazing, if one thinks about it. I do, however, think, that there are a few fundamental aspects, very much like the UNIX philosophy, that contribute to a sustained and stable progress. And minimizing inter-dependencies, for instance dependencies on commercial, 3rd-party products like non-free operating systems, to name just one example, between technologies is in fact one.

I guess one could even find lighter, handier, but especially cheaper alternatives to a MacBook Air. But really, how realistic and how practical will it be for me to buy and carry another computer, just to be able to use a tablet? For obvious reasons, I can't simply ditch my current computer, which is my main work-horse, so I will have two computers. The second one only for the purpose of transferring files to the tablet. Doesn't that taste at least a little bit funny to you? Eventually, I need to establish means to synchronize not only between the DPT and the "light" computer, but also between the "light" computer and my main computer. That, in turn, may compromise security of my main computer and requires me to get acquainted with OS X/Windows. A whole rat-tail of complications is in the pipe, and for what? For Sony made a little choice.

I'm just trying to illustrate that I'm not reluctant to solve my problems with the device and indeed willing to adapt, as far as I can. But it might not be as easy for me as you may imagine. I readily admit that even within the exquisite circle of DPT buyers, I might count as a bit of a weirdo. But to a lesser extent, there are many people in a similar situation like me. Now we have to wait it out. I just hope they manage to add back at least the essentials in a non-interfering manner, so that eventually, we can also benefit from this new, awesome hardware and you, too, remain happy with a decluttered and easy-to-use interface.

Last edited by ManDay; Yesterday at 09:23 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #574
juegos
Enthusiast
juegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
I know you don't want to change your habit of not carrying around a laptop, but, we do indeed have the most amazing, small, lightweight laptops ever created, and ones that are a joy to use.
I think even Sony wouldn't go that far in defending their own product. There's no one who's going to buy a small laptop just to carry around with the DPT-RP1 to get documents on it.

Quote:
Sony seemed to figure out that the device would not be successful when aimed at a narrow niche, such as just lawyers.
The predecessor DPT-S1 with internet access, browser, cloud download / sync option, drag-and-drop file transfer, was suitable for a much broader niche than the DPT-RP1. The latter now requires the Digital Paper App on a Windows/Mac pc, installed as a network driver in conjunction with a Sony certificate to enhance security (hence why people have trouble installing it). You can't even drag and drop files anymore from and to the device in the file explorer. Hence it is now a totally locked down device more in line with needs of very specific niches (particularly I can imagine law firms and certain branches of government).

Furthermore, if they wanted to broaden their niche they'd have developed basic features such as navigation features instead of devoting their resources to the Digital Paper App.

To me as an academic, despite the hardware improvements, the DPT-RP1 is a big step back.
juegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #575
LarryNYC
Zealot
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
I'm just amazed that people can do all their work on an S1 without having access to a real computer. I guess Sony didn't think that untethered usage was a common use case.

My iPhone has a better browsing experience than the S1. I still think an iOS app would be better than adding in cloud and browsing capabilities to the RP1.

Apple computers are of high quality. I got five years use out of my MacBook Pro and my wife will get another five years out of it now that I have upgraded. I'm not interested in some junky laptop. You get what you pay for in this world.
LarryNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #576
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you have a reflowable PDF, can you change the font size on the RP1?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #577
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you have a reflowable PDF, can you change the font size on the RP1?
No, it just appears as if you printed it out
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #578
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I've put up my follow up video:

https://youtu.be/QIXmUiU81Ic

I've got a few workarounds I use and talk a bit about why I think Sony made such drastic changes (document security, as has been stated here).
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #579
agentofhope
agentofhope began at the beginning.

Device: Sony dpt
Sync question

So, I've synced Box with one of my Mac computer folders, and synced that folder to Sony Digital App. When I upload a pdf file to the Box folder from my phone, it automatically syncs with the Mac computer folder. But, the pdf file does not appear in my Sony DPT. I've set the Sony Digital App to sync intervals of 10 minutes. What am I missing?
agentofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #580
LarryNYC
Zealot
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentofhope View Post
So, I've synced Box with one of my Mac computer folders, and synced that folder to Sony Digital App. When I upload a pdf file to the Box folder from my phone, it automatically syncs with the Mac computer folder. But, the pdf file does not appear in my Sony DPT. I've set the Sony Digital App to sync intervals of 10 minutes. What am I missing?
Hmmm, it worked for me. Does the Digital Paper App show that it is connected to the RP1? Did you set up WiFi?

Last edited by LarryNYC; Today at 12:45 PM.
LarryNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #581
agentofhope
agentofhope began at the beginning.

Device: Sony dpt
Quote:
Hmmm, it worked for me. Does the Digital Paper App show that it is connected to the RP1? Did you set up WiFi?
Figured it out. Instead of dragging drop folder from Mac to app, I needed to type in the name of the folder and then open from within the app. Thanks for following up.
agentofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #582
NNN
NNN began at the beginning.

Device: MessgePad 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You don't find it ironic then that the features Sony has removed, and which seems to irk some segments of potential customers, are exactly those features that lawyers might complain about for security reasons?
In a profession where AOL accounts are not uncommon, security is not the primary concern. Reasonable security is good enough. Convenient, quick access to information is critical. Convenient access means a light device that wirelessly syncs with remote, relevant devices and documents, and can access legal databases and the court's register of actions.

Re security: any U.S. attorney caught violating work-product or attorney-client privilege would lose her/his law license and her/his livelihood. Where the punishment is severe and the advantage questionable, attorney hacking has not been a problem.
NNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 PM   #583
jra166
jra166 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox N96
A few updates from the Amazon Q&A:

Question: The device currently does not allow one to jump straight to a specific pdf page. Is there a plan to add this functionality?

Answer: Hi Anon, Yes, this is planned in a future firmware update. -Jen
By Sony Support USA on June 25, 2017

From this answer, we learn that navigation features and functions will be improved with future firmware updates.

Question: I pre-ordered mine on june 7th and now received a notification: expected delivery: wednesday, july 12, 2017 - wednesday, august 9, 2017 by 8 pm.

Answer: Hi George, We’re sorry for the delay: demand for this product exceeded our expectations. Please continue to check with Amazon for updated delivery information. Regards Jen
By Sony Support USA on June 25, 2017

From this answer, we learn I'm not getting my unit anytime soon... I pre-ordered on June 16th.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:01 PM   #584
Boerta
Boerta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interesting. Do they have a roadmap of planned features for it?
If not, they should, imo. Would mean a lot with regards to my interest in it.
Boerta is offline   Reply With Quote