Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
Is this problem only with the EPub format?
Are the other formats display correctly characters?
No, problem with displaying characters is present in html files as well as epub and lit.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear citac:

I cannot help on the characters myself and will hope somebody else chimes in. I do know that the December Firmware Upgrade can still be found at: www.astak.com and that changed the standard EPUB font sizes from the initial three, to five, and then to seven!! So, I think if you do the December Firmware Upgrade you will not find that huge jump between font size 1 and font size 2 is past history when talking about EPUB!!
I just downloaded the firmware and installed it, and I like the way it looks (the clock is a nice touch!). I came across another problem: when I connected the reader to my computer to transfer some files, I got a message saying that there was a problem with the connection and that my hardware might not function properly. When I later looked at the internal memory, there was nothing there except the Recent files folder. Is there a way to revžbuild what was there? (Perhaps I should post this as another thread.)
Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I just downloaded the firmware and installed it, and I like the way it looks (the clock is a nice touch!). I came across another problem: when I connected the reader to my computer to transfer some files, I got a message saying that there was a problem with the connection and that my hardware might not function properly. When I later looked at the internal memory, there was nothing there except the Recent files folder. Is there a way to revžbuild what was there? (Perhaps I should post this as another thread.)
Does your computer use the Intel 82801 USB chipset (Look in the device manager)?
Known compatibility issue :
Disable the "enhanced USB2.... device (forces USB 1.x)

I found an older USB1.x only card and installed that, so I have USB2 and dedicated USB1 ports.
Now I only get the "Nag" that I should use a different port: Do NOT
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does your computer use the Intel 82801 USB chipset (Look in the device manager)?
Known compatibility issue :
Disable the "enhanced USB2.... device (forces USB 1.x)

I found an older USB1.x only card and installed that, so I have USB2 and dedicated USB1 ports.
Now I only get the "Nag" that I should use a different port: Do NOT
I will check that in a minute; just wanted to say that I had connected the reader to my computer before, but this is the first time this happened. I can use an old card reader to connect it next time (that usually gives me the nagging message); right now I'd just like to find out what files were there in the internal memory and if I'm going to have any problems in the future if they're not restored (there was the Digital editions folder I think, but I don't remember what else since I mostly used the SD card).
Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will check that in a minute; just wanted to say that I had connected the reader to my computer before, but this is the first time this happened. I can use an old card reader to connect it next time (that usually gives me the nagging message); right now I'd just like to find out what files were there in the internal memory and if I'm going to have any problems in the future if they're not restored (there was the Digital editions folder I think, but I don't remember what else since I mostly used the SD card).
If you were transferring files when you got the message, check the "drives" for errors when you get a solid connection. Damaged file-system is very likely
Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
If you were transferring files when you got the message, check the "drives" for errors when you get a solid connection. Damaged file-system is very likely
:sigh: I barely have time to check the posts anymore. I wasn't transferring any files, the error message appeared as soon as I plugged the device in. As soon as i connected the device, I got a message saying that the computer has found new hardware, but that "a problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly". It's connected to a port in the back of the computer with a USB extension cord.

My SD card opened properly with all the files there, but the inbuilt storage shows up as empty, with 0 bytes. They both show up as a Linux File-Stor Gadget USB device, and Windows tells me they're both functioning properly. I checked the device manager, yes, the computer I'm working on currently uses an Intel 82801 USB chipset; however, it's my sister's and I don't want to make any changes on it. Is there a way to find out what files were there in the internal memory without resorting to making any computer changes?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
:sigh: I barely have time to check the posts anymore. I wasn't transferring any files, the error message appeared as soon as I plugged the device in. As soon as i connected the device, I got a message saying that the computer has found new hardware, but that "a problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly". It's connected to a port in the back of the computer with a USB extension cord.

My SD card opened properly with all the files there, but the inbuilt storage shows up as empty, with 0 bytes. They both show up as a Linux File-Stor Gadget USB device, and Windows tells me they're both functioning properly. I checked the device manager, yes, the computer I'm working on currently uses an Intel 82801 USB chipset; however, it's my sister's and I don't want to make any changes on it. Is there a way to find out what files were there in the internal memory without resorting to making any computer changes?
Just because you can see files is no guarantee that the structure is intact.

It's not a massive change, nor non-reversible with ease.

DISABLE (the line with "Enhanced") , not delete.
When you are done: Enable.. It only affects USB2 mode, anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Just because you can see files is no guarantee that the structure is intact.

It's not a massive change, nor non-reversible with ease.

DISABLE (the line with "Enhanced") , not delete.
When you are done: Enable.. It only affects mode, anyway.
I can both see and access the folders and files on the SD card. The problem is internal memory, which shows up as empty. Can you tell me what files were there, other than the free books (I think they were in the internal memory, not on the SD card)? I will in any case try this tomorrow.

Right now, solving the non-displaying characters is a bigger issue, as I'm trying to study and the question marks all over the text are incredibly annoying. I have to pass this exam, and I can't concentrate.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #24
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Thumbs up

Problem solved.
There was total mess in htm file, header was set to "windows-1250" but text
was in UTF8 encoding. I fixed everything also I made EPub file.
All files working perfectly on my EZReader.
Pick Up Your Email.
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I can both see and access the folders and files on the SD card. The problem is internal memory, which shows up as empty. Can you tell me what files were there, other than the free books (I think they were in the internal memory, not on the SD card)? I will in any case try this tomorrow.

Right now, solving the non-displaying characters is a bigger issue, as I'm trying to study and the question marks all over the text are incredibly annoying. I have to pass this exam, and I can't concentrate.

Been a long time since I got my PEz

IIRC there was just 2 files (and no Free ones): The Operators book (Like the printed one,now out of date) in English and Chinese (delete if you can, causes some issues with Calibre)
There are 2 folders (3 if registered with Adobe) that support the Recent Read and Keeps track of where you were in titles, plus ADE folder.
Free boo
ks were only shipped on SD cards (not a Manufacturing process to include). By (Windows) default, some of these folders may be hidden from users.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #26
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
Problem solved.
There was total mess in htm file, header was set to "windows-1250" but text
was in UTF8 encoding. I fixed everything also I made EPub file.
All files working perfectly on my EZReader.
Pick Up Your Email.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out, but I'm afraid it didn't work. The pictures are mostly shifted, i.e. they're not where they're supposed to be, and there are some chapter breaks that are totally unnecessary (for example, after the number of a chapter but before the chapter title, like this. X. [then a break, resulting in a blank page], then Title of Chapter. There's also a blank page after the cover image.

But the biggest problem is that I still can't see the capital letter Ć. It's now been replaced with the AE ligature! It appears in a number of places, and it's quite often as an ending of our last names. It is used capitalized in a lot of examples in the book.

I also opened the epub with Sigil to see how you managed to solve the problem, and I can't figure out why there are so many styles added by Calibre in the html and CSS file. It's almost like every paragraph has a style, and it's the same with lists - each and every ol, ul and li element has been styled separately. Why not just leave it unstyled, which would then default to the common representation of lists? I can't understand that.

Sigil has it's own set of problems, like deleting the character encoding I tried to add to the copy of the file you sent. It declared it as an error and proceeded to delete everything below (but that's something I should probably take to the Sigil forum).
Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #27
citac
Fanatic

Quote:

Been a long time since I got my PEz

IIRC there was just 2 files (and no Free ones): The Operators book (Like the printed one,now out of date) in English and Chinese (delete if you can, causes some issues with Calibre)
There are 2 folders (3 if registered with Adobe) that support the Recent Read and Keeps track of where you were in titles, plus ADE folder.
Free boo
ks were only shipped on SD cards (not a Manufacturing process to include). By (Windows) default, some of these folders may be hidden from users.
Well I must have confused the two then, because I remember seeing the free books folder (I think it was a lot of Halloween and Freebooks files) which I didn't need and deleted. Checking their site it does say that the books come with the card. The internal memory has only the Recently read folder. I think it's possible that I received the error message, panicked that something was deleted and saw only one folder.

I'm afraid my own memory is quite short these days, with work, school, and other obligations. If you lost some time over trying to help, I sincerely apologize. It doesn't help that trying to convert this blasted textbook is making me want to pull my hair out.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
If you lost some time over trying to help, I sincerely apologize. It doesn't help that trying to convert this blasted textbook is making me want to pull my hair out.

Now retired, so time is not a big issue (as long as I pet the cat, NOW)
Hair's been mostly gone for last 10 years