Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #31
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Whar be stored all these magnuficent fonts ye're smacking yer gobs about? (hey, I figured what the hell, they're prolly pirated from somewhere anyhow...)
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #32
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Whar be stored all these magnuficent fonts ye're smacking yer gobs about? (hey, I figured what the hell, they're prolly pirated from somewhere anyhow...)
All standard fonts on your Windows PC are free to use. And a lot of others beside those.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #33
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: PocketBook InkPad 4
I would really like to use the font Linux Libertine (a kind of Times New Roman). But, as already mentioned here, it looks too thin. Don't know if there is a freeware tool to (easily) tweak the font appearance?

And, I'm not sure wich format is to be preferred: ttf or otf? Maybe it doesn't matter at all. bartveld, what do you think?
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #34
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
I would really like to use the font Linux Libertine (a kind of Times New Roman). But, as already mentioned here, it looks too thin. Don't know if there is a freeware tool to (easily) tweak the font appearance?

And, I'm not sure wich format is to be preferred: ttf or otf? Maybe it doesn't matter at all. bartveld, what do you think?
As I understand it (I'm new to Kobo, so not really an expert ) both font formats will work. TTF certainly does, haven't tried OTF.
I like you Linux. I've tinkered with it a bit, but I don't have my Kobo near so I can't try them out. Please see attached.
I've left the BoldItalic untouched for now.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Linux Libertine fattened.rar (791.9 KB, 711 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #35
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
As I understand it (I'm new to Kobo, so not really an expert ) both font formats will work. TTF certainly does, haven't tried OTF.
I like you Linux. I've tinkered with it a bit, but I don't have my Kobo near so I can't try them out. Please see attached.
I've left the BoldItalic untouched for now.
Yes both font variants work, I just wonder if one should be preferred for some reason. Thanks for the modified "Linux Libertine". For me it looks a little bit too fat now.
(I for myself had a look at fontforge, but I know nothing about creating/editing a font, so I am lost here).
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #36
bartveld
Evangelist

Yeah, too fat, I expected that. I'll make a somewhat thinner version.
BTW, I don't know FontForge myself, so I can't give you any pointers. I use FontCreator, but that's a paid app.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #37
bartveld
Evangelist

So how about this one? I've just tweaked Regular and Italic, and less than in the first attempt. Since there seems to be enough difference between the original Bold and the touched-up Regular, I've left Bold and BoldItalic alone.
Still can't see it for myself on the Kobo.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Linux Libertine fattened 2.rar (864.5 KB, 756 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #38
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I have several sets of professional fonts I've purchased for some freelance design work. Tisa Mobi Pro is by far one of my favorite purchases ever, but it doesn't show up too well on the Glo.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #39
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I have several sets of professional fonts I've purchased for some freelance design work. Tisa Mobi Pro is by far one of my favorite purchases ever, but it doesn't show up too well on the Glo.
Yeah, e-ink does unexpected things with fonts. In that regard it isn't fully developed yet.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #40
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
So how about this one? I've just tweaked Regular and Italic, and less than in the first attempt. Since there seems to be enough difference between the original Bold and the touched-up Regular, I've left Bold and BoldItalic alone.
Still can't see it for myself on the Kobo.
Your "modified Times Roman" looks great on my Kobo Glo.

For some reason the Libertine fattened 2 does not work (the screen is just a mess of ink blotches). Prior to install, it looked fine on Windows Font viewer though.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #41
bartveld
Evangelist

Was finally able to try out the Linux myself. Regular looks good, but Bold is weird. Since I didn't touch the Bold I'm not sure what to do about it. I'll look into it tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Kidding aside, I thought maybe someone had a site set up with a bunch of properly named fonts, or maybe an explanation of how they must be named, which variants are required, etc. for Kobo.

Uh, Argh!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #43
beedaddy
Zealot

Quote:
Was finally able to try out the Linux myself. Regular looks good, but Bold is weird. Since I didn't touch the Bold I'm not sure what to do about it. I'll look into it tomorrow.
Mhh, I thought Regular still looks a little too bold, compared with the built-in Georgia, for example. But maybe my preferences differ here. By the way, the Libertine font seems, by a given font "size", smaller than the built-in fonts, doesn't it?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #44
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
Mhh, I thought Regular still looks a little too bold, compared with the built-in Georgia, for example. But maybe my preferences differ here. By the way, the Libertine font seems, by a given font "size", smaller than the built-in fonts, doesn't it?
How does Bold look on your screen? I've fiddled a bit more with it, but I can't get it to display properly.
Size-wise, I haven't had time to compare yet, but that may happen and I suppose can be resolved by enlarging the fonts in the settings.
If Bold works for you I may try a thinner version of Regular that might suit you better. If Bold doesn't work I'll have to keep working on that first.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #45
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just tried the 2.2.0 firmware on my Touch. The sideloaded font "Sabon LT Std" that I really like looks as good as it did on 1.9.17.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote