Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
DaMastah
DaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Glo
Angry Bug ? Fonts dont change in ePub (2.1.4 Glo)

I don't know if it's been reported yet but I can't change the font on my ePub on my Kobo Glo 2.1.4.

I can select another font but nothing changes.

Working fine with kepub though.

Anyonre experiencing the same thing ? Any way to fix that ?

I tried rebooting and restoring the device but it doesn't fix the problem.

Last edited by DaMastah; 10-06-2012 at 06:05 AM.
DaMastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If this is a book that has a stylesheet altered by Calibre, go into "Look and Feel" in the conversion tab. Go down to Filter Style Information and check fonts (and margins if they are not adjusting). I have 32 drm free ePUBs on my Go at the moment and the fonts change on all of them. I did not have to make any changes on books that simply lost their DRM, but I did have to make the changes in Look and Feel on books that someone else had converted or altered in Calibre before I got them.

Last edited by taming; 10-06-2012 at 06:17 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Also, don't forget that some books have embedded fonts that won't let you change them unless you run it through Calibre as per above post.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
DaMastah
DaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it is

All my epub are free from embedded fonts...
I can change fonts on the very same books on my Kobo Touch...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Works on the touch but not the glo? Sounds like a bug.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
DaMastah

Turned out I was wrong.
The two books I was testing had embedded fonts. Quite a bad luck as these were the only ones in my library according to quality check.

I removed the fonts and it works now as expected.
Strangely enough, my touch works fine with the embedded fonts on these books...

Anyway, thanks for your help !
Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If this is a book that has a stylesheet altered by Calibre, go into "Look and Feel" in the conversion tab. Go down to Filter Style Information and check fonts (and margins if they are not adjusting). I have 32 drm free ePUBs on my Go at the moment and the fonts change on all of them. I did not have to make any changes on books that simply lost their DRM, but I did have to make the changes in Look and Feel on books that someone else had converted or altered in Calibre before I got them.
I really want to thank you for this information. I have been using calibre for years and I love it but I never knew how to resolve this issue. I side-load a lot of books and this was most definitely a game changer for me!

Many Thanks

I now have only one formatting issue that I have not been able to resolve and that is inconsistent bottom margins when viewing side-loaded books.

Is this a common problem for others as well & is there a solution?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
RG1
RG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with others

Device: Sony PRST-2, Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I now have only one formatting issue that I have not been able to resolve and that is inconsistent bottom margins when viewing side-loaded books.

Is this a common problem for others as well & is there a solution?
This works as designed/intended. You can put
Code:
body{widows:1;}
in the .css to get "consistent" bottom margins, but you might get pages with a single text line or a single word only.
To avoid those single lines or words, the default value (if there is no explicite statement in your css) for widows is 2. A description for widows is here http://xhtml.com/en/css/reference/widows/
RG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Can't remember which books in my library had issues with fonts, which with margins, etc. Any downside to converting all the books in this fashion (checking all the boxes)? i.e. can there be any problems if I take a book that's completely fine, check all the boxes, and convert it?
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
RG1
RG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with othersRG1 plays well with others

Device: Sony PRST-2, Kobo touch
Quote:
can there be any problems if I take a book that's completely fine, check all the boxes, and convert it?
I'm not a big fan of those automatic conversions since you will loose a lot of the formatings in your books. It will not only remove the unwanted margins but all margins. You can check the result of a conversion without any risk. Calibre will store a backup of your book so you can go back if you want.
RG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Can't remember which books in my library had issues with fonts, which with margins, etc. Any downside to converting all the books in this fashion (checking all the boxes)? i.e. can there be any problems if I take a book that's completely fine, check all the boxes, and convert it?
I can only speak for myself, but I had various issues with Kobo and other e-readers when dealing with side loaded books, fonts that could not be changed, margins, line-spacing etc.

Since I updated the look and feel as taming posted - I no longer have any issues modifying fonts, margins, etc. The only remaining issue is the bottom margin and that was a problem before I made the changes.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

I see. And I suppose there's no way to check which ePubs have embedded fonts/margins/etc from Calibre?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
I see. And I suppose there's no way to check which ePubs have embedded fonts/margins/etc from Calibre?
I believe that the Quality Check plugin can do that....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
kobokobe
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that the Quality Check plugin can do that....
Ah, thanks I'll try that
Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
kobokobe
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I had various issues with Kobo and other e-readers when dealing with side loaded books, fonts that could not be changed, margins, line-spacing etc.

Since I updated the look and feel as taming posted - I no longer have any issues modifying fonts, margins, etc. The only remaining issue is the bottom margin and that was a problem before I made the changes.
Hm, is there a check box for line-spacing? I just took all my side-loaded ePubs and converted them, resetting fonts and margins. Didn't see anything that resembled line spacing, but now I can't change the line spacing for any of those epubs, even ones that were working before the conversion. Ideas?