Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #1156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Thanks. Do we know why it started forcing the update from 1.17 when it did? Was it just random or was there a new update and that is why everyone was forced to update?

Inukami
It's not the first time Amazon has force updated the Kindle app. And they will do it again. Keep a copy of the install for the version you are using and every version that's DeDRM compatible so you'll hopefully be able to install a working version if 1.17 gets updated again or stops working.

The other option is to try to get a cheap Kindle off of Amazon and use that instead of the app for downloading Kindle eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #1157
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Hi everyone, I have an "old" kindle paperwhite from 2015.
When I need to convert EPUB books to send them to the device how should I convert them?
By default is Moby, but I'm not sure if it's the best format.

Which one should I use?
I would suggest use azw3 aka KF8. It's a newer format than mobi and much closer to epub in it's features.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #1158
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
EPUB converts to AZW3 quite well.

ETA: Didn't realize this was already answered on the next page. But obviously I second David's recommendation!

Last edited by lkmiller; 02-21-2021 at 03:18 PM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #1159
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I reckon DeDRM 7 is pretty much ready for release. The latest version plus pull request plus one change mentioned in the notes give a fully functioning version as far as I can tell.
Ding! Ding! You win the prize! Full release DeDRM 7.1.0 is out!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #1160
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thanks for the help! I changed the setting to convert in azw3 by default.
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #1161
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Hi!

I just had a problem where I downloaded a free Kindle book and then went to look for where it downloaded onto my PC. I found the Owner/my documents/my kindle content directory and it's not there.

For background, I admit to being behind in updating my Calibre as the old version I have been using has worked well for me. My Kindle for PC also is an old version though I can't find which version it is as the darned program will no longer open! No matter where I click... the link on the Amazon page where I just downloaded the book, the link on the desktop or the exe file in the directory where the program's files are.

Here are my questions:

1) If I download the newest version of Kindle PC, will I have problems with DeDRM?

2) If I update my Calibre and get the newest version of DeDrm, will I be able to convert the Amazon books to .epub so I can load them into my preferred reader?

I just tried accessing the ebook on my phone's Kindle and it's there. Does that mean it's actually downloaded onto my phone or is my phone's Kindle just accessing the book from Kindle's cloud or something like that?

My phone is an iPhone X Max. Would it be possible to find where the ebook has been downloaded on it and then to email the file to my PC then use the updated version of Calibre with the most updated version of DeDrm to convert it to epub ..... or........

Where can I find a reliable version of Kindle 1.17 to reinstall on my PC.... yes, I had auto update turned off.

I hope you all can make heads or tails of my convoluted thinking and questions. I just want to get back to being able to download the free books on kindle and convert them into epub so I can read them in my preferred ereader.

Thank you,
Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #1162
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
1) If I download the newest version of Kindle PC, will I have problems with DeDRM?
It is likely that it will work as long as you follow the instructions in the first post in this thread to prevent Kindle for PC from downloading books in KFX format.

Quote:
2) If I update my Calibre and get the newest version of DeDrm, will I be able to convert the Amazon books to .epub so I can load them into my preferred reader?
Assuming DRM removal is successful you will be able to to convert using calibre. If you encounter problems with DRM removal you will need to ask for assistance at either Apprentice Alf's Blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub. Details of DRM removal cannot be discussed here on MobileRead.

Quote:
I just tried accessing the ebook on my phone's Kindle and it's there. Does that mean it's actually downloaded onto my phone or is my phone's Kindle just accessing the book from Kindle's cloud or something like that?
The book is downloaded to your phone but there is no way to access the downloaded files unless your phone has been jailbroken. Even if you obtain access to those files there is no way to remove that DRM, even with the latest available tools.

Quote:
Where can I find a reliable version of Kindle 1.17 to reinstall on my PC....
The first post in this thread has the filenames to search for to download older versions of Kindle for PC. Once you download be sure to verify the hash using the instructions provided in order to avoid malware.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #1163
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Thank you!

jhowell, thank you for all your suggestions.

I actually found my original install file to install version 1.17 and just reinstalled over the old install and all of the settings I had were saved. Makes me wonder if the program hadn't shut down properly or something.

I'm just glad that it's working now and downloading .azw files.

Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #1164
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Ding! Ding! You win the prize! Full release DeDRM 7.1.0 is out!
Just wanted to check it works with Big Sur, Calibre 5.12, K4Mac 1.30 before I shift Mac Mini to it...

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #1165
Grizzlybear48
Grizzlybear48 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi!

I just had a problem where I downloaded a free Kindle book and then went to look for where it downloaded onto my PC. I found the Owner/my documents/my kindle content directory and it's not there.

For background, I admit to being behind in updating my Calibre as the old version I have been using has worked well for me. My Kindle for PC also is an old version though I can't find which version it is as the darned program will no longer open! No matter where I click... the link on the Amazon page where I just downloaded the book, the link on the desktop or the exe file in the directory where the program's files are.

Here are my questions:

My phone is an iPhone X Max. Would it be possible to find where the ebook has been downloaded on it and then to email the file to my PC then use the updated version of Calibre with the most updated version of DeDrm to convert it to epub ..... or........

Where can I find a reliable version of Kindle 1.17 to reinstall on my PC.... yes, I had auto update turned off.

I hope you all can make heads or tails of my convoluted thinking and questions. I just want to get back to being able to download the free books on kindle and convert them into epub so I can read them in my preferred ereader.

Thank you,
Shykat
Hallo Shykat,
answer to Q1: Do not use the latest version of K4PC, use version 1.17 instead and prevent it from being updated automatically (google for "preventing forced update of Kindle for PC").
answer to Q2: Update Calibre to latest version (5) and use latest deDRMplugin from Alf (version 7.0.1 - unzip run the plugin procedure.
That does not mean that you can convert ALL .azw-books into .epub. Had recently the same problem: Some of them were converted sucessfully, others not. This propably depends, if amazon has equipped them with "hard" or "soft" DRM.
Good luck,
Grizzlybear48
Grizzlybear48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #1166
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Just wanted to check it works with Big Sur, Calibre 5.12, K4Mac 1.30 before I shift Mac Mini to it...

Inukami
It works in my Big Sur VM. The only issue is that disabling KFX using the
Code:
chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test
causes an error message on exiting K4Mac but has no effect on operation. See the first message in this thread for more information.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:52 AM   #1167
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear48 View Post
Hallo Shykat,
answer to Q1: Do not use the latest version of K4PC, use version 1.17 instead and prevent it from being updated automatically (google for "preventing forced update of Kindle for PC").
answer to Q2: Update Calibre to latest version (5) and use latest deDRMplugin from Alf (version 7.0.1 - unzip run the plugin procedure.
That does not mean that you can convert ALL .azw-books into .epub. Had recently the same problem: Some of them were converted sucessfully, others not. This propably depends, if amazon has equipped them with "hard" or "soft" DRM.
Good luck,
Grizzlybear48
You can use even the current Kindle for PC as long as you disable KFX downloads. Current DeDRM is 7.1.0. Go to Apprentice Alf's or Apprentice Harper's if you're having trouble with any purchased book. For the most part, DRM removal from Amazon books should be all or nothing.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:14 AM   #1168
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It works in my Big Sur VM. The only issue is that disabling KFX using the
Code:
chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test
causes an error message on exiting K4Mac but has no effect on operation. See the first message in this thread for more information.
I'm still seeing reports of macOS 11.2.2 (M1 Mac mini) having trouble with DeDRM 7.1.0/calibre 5, but things work with DeDRM 6.8.1/calibre 4.23.

Last edited by lkmiller; 03-06-2021 at 05:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #1169
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I'm still seeing reports of macOS 11.2.2 (M1 Mac mini) having trouble with DeDRM 7.1.0/calibre 5, but things work with DeDRM 6.8.1/calibre 4.23.
I can't emulate a M1 Mac so can't comment there. We have found several issues with Rosetta 2 in our testing on a couple of MacBooks and a Mac Mini at work so that may be affecting calibre/DeDRM on an M1 Mac. Takes me back to the days of the 68K to PowerPC and then the PowerPC to Intel Mac changeover with Fat/Universal apps being popular. Multiple architecture binaries are so much fun (for certain definitions of fun ).
Old 03-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #1170
Lan
Lan began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei phone, PCwin10
Fail to convert due to KFX

I bought an ebook from Amazon today, want to to convert it to epub but fail due to KFX.
calibre version 4.23, Kindle for PC version 1.30 (last update 11/09/2020)
Before this, converting book from azw to epub in calibre no encounter any problem.
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc