Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
segaboy
I read too much
segaboy began at the beginning.

Device: Surface Pro 6
Help improving sync performance across devices

Hello!

This is my first post here. I have been using Calibre for many years, but the way I use it has changed considerably.

I no longer use a dedicated ereader. I have transitioned to using Calibre and the Calibre ebook reader on my Microsoft Surface. Also, since my library has expanded, I have been making use of the organization and tagging features Calibre has to offer. This has made the cloud syncing aspect critical for me.

My library has been in OneDrive for a few years now, and I wasn't too concerned about syncing issues because at the time I wasn't using the more advanced features for organizing my library. Today, I had to restart my tablet and when I restarted there were several library changes I made that were just gone... I know this is due to OneDrive.

I think this is because the OneDrive filesystem is not mounted directly from the cloud. It is a local filesystem that is synced later after a short delay.

I want to avoid issues like this in the future, so I'm asking the community - what is the best could syncing filesystem for Windows when using Calibre? More specifically, are there any that behave more like a remotely attached filesystem, like NFS or SMB?

I would also like to be able to reliably move from device to device. While I mainly read on my Surface Pro 6, I would also like reliable access on my work computer for accessing other types of books, like technical manuals.

Please, I would like to read about all your experiences.
segaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One word: Mirror

Also, 2 way sync can cause (timing) havoc.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've used Dropbox for several years. But there are caveats:

Never keep Dropbox running in the background. And NEVER keep both Calibre and Dropbox running at the same time. Sync, pause syncing, open Calibre, do what you need there, close Calibre, sync, quit Dropbox. Then IN THE SAME ORDER on your other computer.

Still, even with these precautions errors slip in. Run the Library check often.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't synch in real time.

Use one of the file synch tools to synch periodically with calibre closed .

I do it daily using GoodSync, FreeFileSynch is popular.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, dropbox, google drive, onedrive, sync