Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
pdf ipad reader that easily accesses Calibre Content server

I've tried so many and can get none of them to work with the Content server - I guess I'm just not literate enough to get anything to work. Even going through Calibre's Content server documentation step by step. I just want to get pdfs from Calibre to the Ipad (without Calibre Companion!). Marvin works like a charm for epubs. Is there not a pdf reader that works similarly?

PS Mapleread does work, but the interface appears to change each time Apple updates the OS. Now it requires "drag and drop" from Calibre instead of just going to the Calibre library. Doable, but not fun. And then I can transfer from there to Goodreader (due to its ability to get rid of margins in pdf).

I know I keep asking similar questions here, but I keep trying to ask an "intelligent" enough question to get my problem across and have someone help me figure this out. Sorry.

Last edited by peaceridge; 10-13-2021 at 01:19 PM.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Use your Browser Luke!
And simply download once you find your book. Then you PDF app con open it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use your Browser Luke!
And simply download once you find your book. Then you PDF app con open it.
Sorry, I'm being so dense - what Browser? On which device - ipad or pc? I tried using several browsers on both devices, entering the ip #'s and most aren't finding the other device. I edited my original question to say that I can get Mapleread to work on a browser, but it's not easily done - lots of steps. I think I need more handholding!
Old 10-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
on the Ipad (or Android device )
With CC being in such sad shape, this is our fallback, as it may. (CC had the advantage of Off line use)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Why not use iCloud on your computer? I keep files there and can access them from my iDevices and my Win 10 computer.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Why not use iCloud on your computer? I keep files there and can access them from my iDevices and my Win 10 computer.
I do have dropbox, but just wanted an easy (to me) solution like Marvin provides. I guess I'll just go "round my elbow" to get them until someone figures out an elegant solution.

Thanks all, anyway.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Sorry, I'm being so dense - what Browser? On which device - ipad or pc? I tried using several browsers on both devices, entering the ip #'s and most aren't finding the other device. I edited my original question to say that I can get Mapleread to work on a browser, but it's not easily done - lots of steps. I think I need more handholding!
Don't need to use a browser. Mapleread has OPDS capability to connect to the Calibre server.

My preference for Mapleread is to set the date (sort) to Calibre date as I want the dates order to be insync(?) & convenient. After connection to Calibre, you can then select the book to retrieve; one can "over select" as the "duplicate" won't be retrieved.

The default limit for sending via OPDS on Calibre is 30 books each time but can be changed; the other way is just do pagedown(?) on Mapleread & select more using ctrl-a for each page. Don't know how it would work if you have thousands of books to do the initial load onto the ipad.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #8
peaceridge
Guru

Since IOS 15, Mapleread does not auto detect Calibres OPDS for me (the auto detect is greyed out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Don't need to use a browser. Mapleread has OPDS capability to connect to the Calibre server.

My preference for Mapleread is to set the date (sort) to Calibre date as I want the dates order to be insync(?) & convenient. After connection to Calibre, you can then select the book to retrieve; one can "over select" as the "duplicate" won't be retrieved.

The default limit for sending via OPDS on Calibre is 30 books each time but can be changed; the other way is just do pagedown(?) on Mapleread & select more using ctrl-a for each page. Don't know how it would work if you have thousands of books to do the initial load onto the ipad.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

OK, theducks, I finally got Goodreader browser to work!! Don't know what I was doing wrong before, but it's working now. Thanks to all.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #10
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Since IOS 15, Mapleread does not auto detect Calibres OPDS for me (the auto detect is greyed out).
I just did the ios 15 & it was ios 15.0.2 & it works with Mapleread opds but differently(?); had problems as have abandoned ipad. The method seems changed to me as have the icon at the bottom for web sites. I think that it used to be a download arrow then select then actual download......

After some diddling on why I was not able to select the books for download, I finally looked at Calibre & the books had not been converted from azw3 to epub. After that hurdle, the other books were able to be downloaded. Had thought that the "preference" for "ALL" will download no matter what format; too bad Mapleread won't read azw; then MoonReader has no problems with azw format.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote