Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #16
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I've been to the country about 5-6 times for work and reading all the cultural and historical references of the P&V translation was fantastic. I've read Dunnigan the first time I read it and I enjoyed that as well, but it was just a great story. The P&V translation is a great story and a learning experience as well.

I do prefer the sparser use of French in the Dunnigan translation. At the start of the novel when Anna Pavlovna talks to Prince Vassily about Bonaparte being the antichrist the P&V translation is all French in the Dunnigan translation it goes "Eh Bien, mon prince,... Dunnigan used just enough French so you knew it was French without having to jump back and forth with French translation footnotes. But apparenlty I've read Tolstoy had a reason for using the French he did (used in upper society) and he also purposely decreases the amount of French as the book goes on indicating a declining Euro influence in Russia. Dunnigan gives you that sense without the translation footnotes.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
T
I think what disappoints me most is that the above quotes show the "cinema" reference was an insertion, without it the passage would have been a close rendering. Hence my rant against excessive liberty.

How do you react to this kind of VERY loose translation?
It's too loose, taking too much liberty with the source. It's not to do with if people understand it, or an anachronism. It's adding content that's not there at all, far beyond a paraphrase (c.f. King James, NIV, Jerusalem Bible and Living Bible vs original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Returning to the translation that triggered this thread, the translator has done it again. Kipling's words from The White Seal:
Quote:
he met all the untrustworthy ruffians that loaf up and down the seas, and the heavy polite fish, the scarlet-spotted scallops that are moored in one place for hundreds of years, and grow very proud of it
(e.a)

And the Hindi translation rendered back into English, with stiffly awkward fidelity
Quote:
He also found many loafer types of sea creatures who, by their smooth talk, cheat anyone and trap them somewhere in the wrong place. He found a big fish which was very kind. A (literally "1") strange balloon-shaped creature was also found, which has remained in the same place for the last hundreds of years, as if it would be named in the Guinness Book of Records
"scarlet-spotted scallops" to "A strange balloon-shaped creature" is bad enough, imo - changing a description from colour to shape? "scarlet-spotted" is such a simple concept even I can accurately translate it into simple Hindi. Hindi has a word for scallop, "strange creature" not needed, he could always have just left it as "scallop" - as he did for "walrus".

But throwing in another extraneous anachronistic reference "Guinness Book of Records", once again simply transliterated into devanagari characters, is Picard level facepalm material. I'm only halfway through, but it's going to be hard work finishing this, as much as I was looking forward to reaching rikki-tikki-tavi.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #19
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Returning to the translation that triggered this thread, the translator has done it again. Kipling's words from The White Seal:
That Hindi translation is rather unfaithful.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
Yes, in the same way the Sun is rather warm.
Advert
Old 09-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
/me puts on Muppet heckler voice.
"It's terrible."
Old 09-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Yes, in the same way the Sun is rather warm.
How's your Hindi Robin? Surely ANYONE that can read English and write Hindi decently can do better.

Though I know people bilingual with English-German, English-Irish and English-something and none would dream of translating books. It is a lot of work. But I've read a good handful of Kipling and have loads on my TBR pile (ebook and paper editions older than 1906) and that seems excruciating.

Worse than Disney novelizations of their animations of Kipling and fairy stories. Disney books ought to be limited to the USA, or something.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

This is the last one I read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewards_and_Fairies
I used the text from gutenberg.org as I don't have any paper editions that late!
Old 09-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
How's your Hindi Robin? Surely ANYONE that can read English and write Hindi decently can do better.

I'm tempted, now! I bought the book 3 years ago as one of my very first Kobo purchases, after having hunted for a Hindi version for a long time. The translator says in his foreword that the absence of ANY translation was spur to his, so I started it thinking it would be a good way to broaden my vocab and improve my reading comprehension. It never occurred to me that the book I was reading would not be the one Kipling wrote.