Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple WWDC 2021 Keynote will Take place June 7 at 10am PST

The Apple WWDC 2021 Keynote presentation will Take place June 7 at 10am PST.

Now that M1 iPad Pros have arrived, I surely hope they announce meaningful updates to the iPadOS to bring it fully into the 21st century. It is past time for a true laptop replacement in the form of an iPad, but iPadOS has to improve greatly to take advantage of the new chips and technology. It takes more than a new iPad Pro with lots of horsepower, it also take a much more capable and usable iPadOS.

As far as macOS goes, I’m finding it more and more difficult to get excited by their annual updates that just don't wow me any more. Maybe they will have something this year to make the M1 chips really shine.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
IPadOS will not ‘arrive’ until app developers start embracing the features it already has.

Where are the apps that support:
- keyboard shortcuts and navigation
- apps that can use user-installed fonts
- multi-document
- and there are many, many apps that could easily support Split Screen, but don’t.

It hasn’t exactly been a case of ‘if you build it, they will come’. Part of the reason is perhaps that they have macOS apps that sell for much more than people are willing to pay for on iOS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m not sure I buy into that premise. If we could buy the app once for macOS, then use it on an iPad Pro too for no extra charge, like I do with Photoshop and Lightroom, then people would likely buy into that ecosystem. It takes a lot of effort to change the ecosystem though, so Apple might have to get tough.

The iPad Pro is made to go head to toe with Macs, to a certain degree, it is time Apple forced that ecosystem on developers and customers, otherwise why even buy an iPad Pro. They could easily revert the non-Pro models back to using iOS, and change iPadOS into an iPadProOS. People who want the power of a laptop in an iPad would then need to buy into it with the idea that with power comes greater charges, and the rest of iPad users could stay with the iOS cheaper app ecosystem. iPadOS was really split off for the Pro models. The lesser powered iPads could easily operate again under iOS. Of course Apple likely won’t do that. So we probably will be stuck with highly overpriced Pro models that cannot deliver what customers want because the OS is to underpowered and poorly designed.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m not sure I buy into that premise. If we could buy the app once for macOS, then use it on an iPad Pro too for no extra charge, like I do with Photoshop and Lightroom, then people would likely buy into that ecosystem. It takes a lot of effort to change the ecosystem though, so Apple might have to get tough.
It's already the case, no?

Quote:
The iPad Pro is made to go head to toe with Macs, to a certain degree, it is time Apple forced that ecosystem on developers and customers, otherwise why even buy an iPad Pro. They could easily revert the non-Pro models back to using iOS, and change iPadOS into an iPadProOS. People who want the power of a laptop in an iPad would then need to buy into it with the idea that with power comes greater charges, and the rest of iPad users could stay with the iOS cheaper app ecosystem. iPadOS was really split off for the Pro models. The lesser powered iPads could easily operate again under iOS. Of course Apple likely won’t do that. So we probably will be stuck with highly overpriced Pro models that cannot deliver what customers want because the OS is to underpowered and poorly designed.
For me, what makes the iPad so appealing is the ecosystem with the apps. Apple already has that. Now with the M1 we can maybe hope they will bring more desktop pro App to the iPad, but I don't see the necessity to separate the base iPadOS for the different iPad models.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I wish they would fix in iPadOS/iOS is giving external keyboard same way to generate diacritic characters as macOS: hold key to see variants, then select using number.

As it is, you have to memorize Option key (‘dead key’) sequences, but these don’t work for everything (these also work on macOS, but holding the key is more intuitive and matches virtual keyboard behavior).

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-.../11.0/mac/11.0

Last edited by tomsem; 05-26-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Advert
Old 05-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
One thing I wish they would fix in iPadOS/iOS is giving external keyboard same way to generate diacritic characters as macOS: hold key to see variants, then select using number.

As it is, you have to memorize Option key (‘dead key’) sequences, but these don’t work for everything (these also work on macOS, but holding the key is more intuitive and matches virtual keyboard behavior).

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-.../11.0/mac/11.0
Wow, I didn’t realize they limited the external keyboards like that. Do the Apple keyboards and keyboard cases also lack this functionality? I just tried my Logitech keyboard case and it definitely lacks this function.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When is Apple going to get their heads out of their backsides and allow the iPad Pro to be a MAC tablet?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When is Apple going to get their heads out of their backsides and allow the iPad Pro to be a MAC tablet?
Totally agree. The iPad Pro should get its own macPadOS which transforms it into a Mac tablet capable of running macOS apps. People will be paying as much for a tricked out iPad Pro as they will for a Mac, so they should get the power and the capabilities of a Mac. Us mere mortals can stick with our non-Pro, more affordable, less capable iPads if we don’t need an iPad Pro.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Wow, I didn’t realize they limited the external keyboards like that. Do the Apple keyboards and keyboard cases also lack this functionality? I just tried my Logitech keyboard case and it definitely lacks this function.
I have tried Apple Magic Keyboard (Bluetooth) and it is the same.

Workaround, of course, bring up the virtual keyboard (tap keyboard icon in lower right corner when external keyboard is connected) and use that.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have tried Apple Magic Keyboard (Bluetooth) and it is the same.

Workaround, of course, bring up the virtual keyboard (tap keyboard icon in lower right corner when external keyboard is connected) and use that.
At least there is a workaround. Unfortunately, the need for so many workarounds with iPadOS causes it to be so lackluster. It is like having an expensive Ferrari but with the onboard computers intentionally programmed to act as a governor and keep the speed to 70mph or less. Ferrari probably wouldn't sell too many of that model. Apple needs to correct these shortcomings with a much more useful and standard OS. The hardware is getting really good, but the OS is still not up to the point of being able to fully utilize that hardware to its potential.

Apple needs to get after developers too. I bought a set of Govee RGBIC strip lights and installed the Govee Home app on my iPhone XR and iPad Air 2020. App works okay, but the iPad version is the same as the iPhone version, exactly the same, no landscape view, too small for the screen. That really angers me that so many iPad apps are still just iPhone apps, even in 2021. Apple should put their foot down and demand a real iPad app for iPadOS.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At least there is a workaround. Unfortunately, the need for so many workarounds with iPadOS causes it to be so lackluster. It is like having an expensive Ferrari but with the onboard computers intentionally programmed to act as a governor and keep the speed to 70mph or less. Ferrari probably wouldn't sell too many of that model. Apple needs to correct these shortcomings with a much more useful and standard OS. The hardware is getting really good, but the OS is still not up to the point of being able to fully utilize that hardware to its potential.
We need to wait, maybe they will have some good things about a better integrated Desktop view of iPadOS.
I have no interest in this though
Quote:
Apple needs to get after developers too. I bought a set of Govee RGBIC strip lights and installed the Govee Home app on my iPhone XR and iPad Air 2020. App works okay, but the iPad version is the same as the iPhone version, exactly the same, no landscape view, too small for the screen. That really angers me that so many iPad apps are still just iPhone apps, even in 2021. Apple should put their foot down and demand a real iPad app for iPadOS.
I disagree with that.
Devs do what they can with limited resources. While I understand that an optimized iPad version is great ( and I wish it was the case for all of them), sometimes it does not make sense.
Also, I don't think the situation is as bad as you describe it. The iPad is doing great because of the great ecosystem / apps optimized for it.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Also, I don't think the situation is as bad as you describe it. The iPad is doing great because of the great ecosystem / apps optimized for it.
Perhaps if by great you mean videos and games look good. But for those who actually want to use an iPad Pro as a powerful, professional tool, as opposed to an entertainment device, iPadOS falls flat. iPadOS is too glitchy and cumbersome to be the kind of OS that readily lends itself to professional video editing and graphics work, or even things like spreadsheet creation and modification. iPadOS certainly works fine for using an iPad Pro as a portable, but VERY expensive, video player and gaming device, but not so much for professionals who would like to use it in their business or for their job. So my thought is that iPadOS is good on the toy and play side, inadequate on the professional tool side. We really need a true professional iPadOS for the iPad Pros.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Perhaps if by great you mean videos and games look good. But for those who actually want to use an iPad Pro as a powerful, professional tool, as opposed to an entertainment device, iPadOS falls flat. iPadOS is too glitchy and cumbersome to be the kind of OS that readily lends itself to professional video editing and graphics work, or even things like spreadsheet creation and modification. iPadOS certainly works fine for using an iPad Pro as a portable, but VERY expensive, video player and gaming device, but not so much for professionals who would like to use it in their business or for their job. So my thought is that iPadOS is good on the toy and play side, inadequate on the professional tool side. We really need a true professional iPadOS for the iPad Pros.
What we need is a dual-booting iPad Pro that boots iPad OS and OSX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #14
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
My usages : read textbooks and documentation, highlight text and take notes with the pencil, draw with Procreate, Affinity Designer, photo edition with Affinity, consult some news and websites, read mangas, comics and occasionally watch videos.

For the rest I have my MBP 16 that's way more handy to me. (VS code, terminal...)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
My usages : read textbooks and documentation, highlight text and take notes with the pencil, draw with Procreate, Affinity Designer, photo edition with Affinity, consult some news and websites, read mangas, comics and occasionally watch videos.

For the rest I have my MBP 16 that's way more handy to me. (VS code, terminal...)
I had already figured out that you are in a rare classification of iPad Pro purchaser. You can afford to buy a top of the line Pro when you really don't need one other than wanting it for entertainment. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, an Apple will appreciate your purchase. However, I think most people who are willing to shell out $2,000+ for a tricked out Pro 12.9" and essential accessories will do so because they NEED that power and capabilities to accomplish work of some kind. Most other people will likely buy a non-Pro model at a fraction of the cost for entertainment and what not. Apple could, probably won't, but could even release a large 12.9" non-Pro iPad for those like you who want a larger, better screen but keep it less powerful and sell it for less too so as to make more sales.

The "Pro" in iPad Pro really shouldn't mean "top of the line." It should mean "the iPad for professionals who need the most powerful iPad available to use as a tool." Right now it looks like the M1 iPad Pros have the power and electronic guts to be professional tools, but they lack an OS which fully supports that usage.

Last edited by OtinG; 05-28-2021 at 11:40 AM.