Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #1846
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Exactly! Yes, I do want to read more Haruki Murikami. But hey, there's haunted houses to explore and demons to fight.
Ghostbusters 3,
you and me!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #1847
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Rattus New Yorkus by Hunter Shea
Amazon US FREE
I have never heard or seen this, but how awesome. And free? Sold.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #1848
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not fully horror but I know there are paranormal elements and hauntings, some recommend for horror seasons. I haven't read it yet but grabbed it up - Beloved by Toni Morrison for 1.99 on sale
https://www.amazon.com/Beloved-Vinta...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Old 10-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #1849
Paperbackstash
Wizard

TOR is doing some sales on their Macmillan site also some you have to look around a bit

Hex is on sale for 2.99 ebook price when it's usually over 15

$2.99 eBook Sale: October 2021
https://us.macmillan.com/search?dFR%...hType=products
Old 10-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #1850
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
TOR is doing some sales on their Macmillan site also some you have to look around a bit

Hex is on sale for 2.99 ebook price when it's usually over 15

$2.99 eBook Sale: October 2021
https://us.macmillan.com/search?dFR%...hType=products
Hex is also on sale for $2.99 at Amazon US.

I picked the book up a while back, but haven't yet read it (I don't know why not, it sounds terrific). He has a new book out soon, Echo, that sounds equally interesting.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #1851
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
A chilling thriller that brilliantly blends psychological suspense and supernatural horror, reminiscent of Stephen King's The Shining, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, and William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist.

The lives of the Barretts, a normal suburban New England family, are torn apart when fourteen-year-old Marjorie begins to display signs of acute schizophrenia.

To her parents’ despair, the doctors are unable to stop Marjorie’s descent into madness. As their stable home devolves into a house of horrors, they reluctantly turn to a local Catholic priest for help. Father Wanderly suggests an exorcism; he believes the vulnerable teenager is the victim of demonic possession. He also contacts a production company that is eager to document the Barretts’ plight. With John, Marjorie’s father, out of work for more than a year and the medical bills looming, the family agrees to be filmed, and soon find themselves the unwitting stars of The Possession, a hit reality television show. When events in the Barrett household explode in tragedy, the show and the shocking incidents it captures become the stuff of urban legend.

Fifteen years later, a bestselling writer interviews Marjorie’s younger sister, Merry. As she recalls those long ago events that took place when she was just eight years old, long-buried secrets and painful memories that clash with what was broadcast on television begin to surface—and a mind-bending tale of psychological horror is unleashed, raising vexing questions about memory and reality, science and religion, and the very nature of evil.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #1852
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Where Stars Won't Shine by Patrick Lacey
Amazon US $0.99

Quote:
I'll be seeing you.

That's the note left behind for Ivy Longwood when infamous killer Tucker Ashton murders her boyfriend. Several years later, after Tucker vanishes from his jail cell, Ivy travels to Ashton's hometown of Marlowe, Massachusetts. Not for closure or therapy. She's being called there. Steered by forces beyond her control. What she'll find is not the quiet suburban town Marlowe once was. It's something new. Something dark. Something that answers the question: Where did Tucker Ashton go?

Last edited by radbaddude; 10-17-2021 at 08:35 PM.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #1853
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I have never heard or seen this, but how awesome. And free? Sold.
I've read it! It was pretty creepy. I gave it 3 stars.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #1854
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I've read it! It was pretty creepy. I gave it 3 stars.
Great!
I am annoyed with myself that it's October when I usually read a lot of horror, but I just haven't been in the mood so far this month.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #1855
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Evil Harvest by Anthony Izzo is $1.99 at Amazon US.

I picked up Mr. Izzo's early books (Cruel Winter, Evil Harvest and The Dark Ones) when they were released as paperbacks by Pinnacle(?) way back when.

I've only read Cruel Winter which I gave two stars to (look for the two star review with the Bananarama reference if you're interested).

Evil Harvest was written later and I wouldn't mind giving him another chance.

Quote:
Something dark and malevolent lurks among the citizens of Lincoln, New York. For years, an Evil has controlled its demonic appetites, claiming victims at random: a traveling salesman, a newly arrived family, a child. The deaths were isolated, quickly forgotten, while Evil resumed waiting. . .

Now as the time of Harvest draws near, the residents of Lincoln may learn too late of the otherworldly darkness dwelling in their hearts. Enter a mysterious stranger named Matt Crowe, returned to Lincoln with a terrible secret and a burning determination to avenge himself on the monsters that destroyed his family. But time is running out, and the Evil is growing restless--and hungry.

Others in Lincoln suspect what is happening--what is about to happen--and only by banding together will they have any chance of stopping the gruesome Harvest--and of casting its perpetrators back into the eternal fires of hell...
Old 10-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #1856
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
The Shadows by Alex North is $2.99 at Amazon US.

This one is tough. It is sold as a horror novel and not a horror novel, but a thriller with supernatural elements (which sounds like horror to me). Point it, this sounds like a non-traditional horror novel, but with accolades from all over.

I think the cover is terrific.
I just tried reading this. Do not recommend. The author is British, but the story is placed in a generic English-speaking town. It uses a mishmash of vernacular from the UK, Australia and the US, apparently in an effort to make it "accessible." This is not only distracting and annoying on its own, but shows an ignorance of US law enforcement that makes it unreadable (the cross-jurisdictional investigation by the detective would have seen her thrown into jail before any crime-solving took place). I gave up at about the 20% point, and looked online for spoilers as to how it ends.

I'm glad I quit where I did, because if I had wasted my energy on completing the book, I would have been furious. The resolution is a total cheat. Both POV characters make deliberately deceitful statements about the identity of the past victim. This isn't an unreliable narrator, this is an author who wants you to think he's being clever in the way he obfuscates what would be plain facts in any well-written novel. Comparison? It's as though throughout a story, multiple characters who never trade notes with each other all refer to an item of clothing as a "green scarf." Then, in the denouement, we learn that the color of the scarf was red, and it was "Green" brand!

Never again, Alex North.

Last edited by curtw; 10-18-2021 at 04:57 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #1857
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

All of Locke and Key is on sale at Amazon. The first book is $0.99 and the next six are $1.99 a piece.

Locke and Key is Joe Hill's horror comic series about a family that moves in to a New England mansion left to them in a will and finds it is full of doors that do magical things.

A very good series. There's a Netflix adaptation that is also excellent, though season two has been on the way since forever. Hopefully this sale is due to Season two being on the way?

$13 for the whole series is a very good deal.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #1858
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Night Shift by Stephen King is $1.99 at Amazon US.

I wonder if it is on sale because the first story (Jerusalem's Lot) has become a TV series (Chapelwaite)?

Anyway, a terrific book of stories. Some people will try to convince you it is his best collection. Those people are wrong.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #1859
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Night Shift by Stephen King is $1.99 at Amazon US.

I wonder if it is on sale because the first story (Jerusalem's Lot) has become a TV series (Chapelwaite)?

Anyway, a terrific book of stories. Some people will try to convince you it is his best collection. Those people are wrong.
I'm one of those people! (But that's OK, J̶o̶n̶. Ooops! My mistake!)

But seriously: Which one of his collections do you feel is his best?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #1860
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm one of those people! (But that's OK, J̶o̶n̶. Ooops! My mistake!)

But seriously: Which one of his collections do you feel is his best?
I don't know. They all have great stories. Who could honestly say that Night Shift is a better collection than Skeleton Crew? Or Nightmares and Dreamscapes? (I need to catch up on the newer collections, but I am sure there are diamonds there as well.)