Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 09-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #1
vendetta
vendetta began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre Ebook viewer on PC
Issues with highlighting in the Calibre viewer

I'm having issues with highlighting in the calibre viewer.

Most of them work fine however some of the highlights after closing and opening the book again do not appear in the text. However they are still present in the highlight viewer (both in the reader and the annotation browser). If I right click the highlight and select modify, sometimes the following error appears:
Traceback (most recent call last):
at IframeClient.handle_message (userscript:viewer.js:16690:21)
at IframeBoss.annotations_msg_received (userscript:viewer.js:27686:29)
at select_crw (userscript:viewer.js:18505:19)
TypeError: Failed to execute 'setStart' on 'Range': parameter 1 is not of type 'Node'.

Sometimes this error appears:
Error: Highlight text missing
The text associated with this highlight could not be found in the book. This can happen if the book was modified. This highlight will be automatically removed.

Moreover, when I click on some of the highlights it leads to other text in the book.

(Also this is my first post so any tips would be appreciated)
vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you are running an up to date version of calibre, and if you are still experiencing the issue open a bug report and attach an ebook file in which the issue reproduces alongwith a set of steps to reproduce the issue.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
vendetta

Could you please guide me on how to do that?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://calibre-ebook.com/bugs
Old 09-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Dear Kovid,

I noticed now on two devices, one is Samsung Galaxy A51, "long tap" doesn't activate the Selection Bar (chrome), so highlights are impossible.

What do you suggest?

(it works fine with other websites)
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No idea, it works fine for me both in chrome on desktop and on android.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No idea, it works fine for me both in chrome on desktop and on android.
Yes. It does on most of my devices, only not these two phones. Weird.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you can setup developer tools you might be ble to get some debug output in the console.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
WHY
Enthusiast
WHY began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
Yes. It does on most of my devices, only not these two phones. Weird.
I have the same problems with my both Samsung phone and tablet.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338540

My current workaround is using firefox mobile instead. I tried Chrome, Safari and many other browsers on my Samsung devices, highlighting does not work reliably with any of them. Only firefox does!. But on the ios device, there is no issue at all. Still don't know why...

Last edited by WHY; 09-18-2021 at 12:36 PM.
WHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:08 AM   #10
vendetta

Hey Kovid
I reported the issue as a bug about 10 days ago. Any idea when I should be able to get a fix?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1943517
Old 09-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When I find the time to look at it.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:07 AM   #12
nqk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHY View Post
I have the same problems with my both Samsung phone and tablet.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338540

My current workaround is using firefox mobile instead. I tried Chrome, Safari and many other browsers on my Samsung devices, highlighting does not work reliably with any of them. Only firefox does!. But on the ios device, there is no issue at all. Still don't know why...
I can confirm this. The selection works on Firefox.

But I prefer Chrome because I add the Content Server link to Home Screen, and it works like an app, with full screen and no address bar. So far I don't know how to hide the Firefox address bar

Last edited by nqk; 09-20-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #13
WHY
Enthusiast
WHY began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
I can confirm this. The selection works on Firefox.

But I prefer Chrome because I add the Content Server link to Home Screen, and it works like an app, with full screen and no address bar. So far I don't know how to hide the Firefox address bar
You could enable the full screen from the menu of the viewer

Last edited by WHY; 09-20-2021 at 10:41 AM.
WHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #14
nqk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHY View Post
You could enable the full screen from the menu of the viewer
I know that. You have to do that every time you resume reading. With Chrome, the experience is much better.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:30 PM   #15
ryanwwest
ryanwwest began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, Leaf 2
Created an account to comment that I'm facing the same issue on Android Chrome (and Kiwi browser which is Chromium-based). Even after enlarging the font significantly, I can only successfully tap and select text or a previous highlight about ~15% of the time - the other 85% seems to miss the text bounding box and advance to the next page instead (depending on which portion of the screen I held my finger). I'm using a Galaxy Fold 3. This unfortunately makes it quite hard to select text. Perhaps I'll try Firefox as a workaround as well, though it would be nicer to have this fixed.
ryanwwest is offline   Reply With Quote