Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-25-2023, 04:42 AM   #1
Kelzan
Kelzan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Ipad Pro
Adding a plugin to the list

I recently posted a new plugin on the forum, and would like to get it added to the 'official' list. The instructions say to PM a moderator, but I can't figure out how to contact somebody directly on the site.

If a moderator happens to read this, could I please get it added to the list? Thanks!

Here's the info:
PHP Code:
[*][URL="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354707"]Audio M3U[/URL]
[
I]This plugin adds support for audiobooks using playlist filesAudiofile metadata and cover artwork can be imported or exported through the pluginalong with useful information about the audio files themselves.
Donate: [URL="https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/KellyDLarson"][COLOR=#3399CC]PayPal[/COLOR][/URL][/I] 
Kelzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 05:36 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Done, should be in the Prefs->Plugins list within the next hour.

Mods are listed at the bottom of ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=166

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
Kelzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Mods are listed at the bottom of ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=166

BR
Thanks so much for the help!

Yeah, I saw the names and clicked on a couple, but still couldn't figure out how to message anybody. I'm sure I probably missed something obvious
Old 06-25-2023, 05:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelzan View Post
Thanks so much for the help!

Yeah, I saw the names and clicked on a couple, but still couldn't figure out how to message anybody. I'm sure I probably missed something obvious
You can't for a few more posts (anti spam setting), but you could bop on down to the Miscellaneous: Feedback forum and ADD your request to the Enable Messaging thread
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:12 PM   #5
Kelzan

Quick question to anybody who knows, what steps do you need to take as a plugin developer to post an update to the plugin? Is it as easy as bumping the version number within the plugin itself, and overwriting the .zip file with the newer version in the original post?

I wasn't sure how automated the process is, or if there were any other additional steps that would need to be taken.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:03 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelzan View Post
Quick question to anybody who knows, what steps do you need to take as a plugin developer to post an update to the plugin? Is it as easy as bumping the version number within the plugin itself, and overwriting the .zip file with the newer version in the original post?

I wasn't sure how automated the process is, or if there were any other additional steps that would need to be taken.
Yes. Having a New post in the thread also notifies the users of what that specific update does (rather than replacing/removing previous comments.
That same post is where some developers first post a Beta before it goes live in post 1 (Betas are a manual download and install. My preference is the ZIP include the version as part of its name, since it will be landing in my downloads folder) MyPlugin-V1-3.zip
Old 06-25-2023, 10:12 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You just need to bump the version number in the zip file and attach th enew zip to the first post replacing the old one.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:42 AM   #8
Kelzan

Thanks! So I was wondering about seeing zip files with the version encoded into the name, which seems like a good way to help keep things straight. I had initially sort of assumed that the name of the zip file itself was meaningful, and had to match the name of the plugin itself. It sounds like perhaps that's not the case, and the name is arbitrary? Does every zip file in the plugin directory get scanned for contents, regardless of the name of the zip?
Old 06-26-2023, 01:54 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the plugin indexer uses whatever zip file is attached to the first post in the plugin thread. It's name is irrelevant.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:38 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kelzan - Whilst the name of the zip in the first post in the plugin thread can include version numbers, the cat's name, etc, etc, within an hour of uploading it will get 'renamed' within the plugin update process to the value of 'name' in __init_.py. And it is that name that users see in Preferences>Plugins, update notices etc, and in the calibre plugins folder in their configuration directory.

IMO putting extraneous verbiage in the name of the first post zip only serves to obfuscate matters. There have been several instances of mismatches between zip names and what's in __init__.py that have lead to confusion.

One thing you might want to do is put a Version History section at the end of the first post of your plugin - Example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337516.

Curious - how did you decide 0.7.53 was the latest calibre version for Audio M3U.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #11
Kelzan

Thanks @BetterRead, the Version History section looks like a good way to do it.

I believe 0.7.53 was the value in the original file that I started modifying when I first began creating my plugin, so it comes from the 'demo' plugin code interface_demo_plugin.zip. I honestly have no idea what calibre version would work for the plugin, and I'm not sure I'd even know how to test it, so I just left that field alone.

And while I'm admitting things I don't know (admittedly a lot), I also left it marked as compatible with Linux and IOS, though it's only ever been tested on Windows. I didn't do anything that I feel would make it incompatible, though I have no way of verifying that it works across all platforms. Do you think I should change it to Windows only compatibility?
Old 06-26-2023, 06:50 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Leave it as all three OSs, very few plugins won't run on all three, and most only get tested on the developer's OS.

Re minimum calibre version, I doubt your plugin would work on 0.7.3, it's probably safe to change it to 6.0. If you want to test on previous versions you could install multiple instances of Calibre Portable ==>> Previous calibre releases

BR
Old 06-27-2023, 03:37 AM   #13
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
Also check out this page: calibre-usage

Scroll down a bit to Usage share by major version. 5+ covers nearly 85% of the installed base.
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:28 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradles View Post
Also check out this page: calibre-usage

Scroll down a bit to Usage share by major version. 5+ covers nearly 85% of the installed base.
If I am understanding correctly, some of those stats are a rolling 60 day view.
In other word CONNECTED and started Calibre in the last 60 days.

Some of those countries high on the list surprised me, because the ratio of Calibre use is way higher that larger countries like the USA. Are some of these ex-patriots?
It would be interesting to see the Language used in Calibre UI for each , but I suspect even that much info has privacy issues.