Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-20-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Problems with random user agents and Goodreads

The Goodreads metadata plugin follows the standard pattern of invoking some generic calibre code for getting a browser object through self.browser and then browser.clone_browser() within the worker.py. From what I remember (code not in front of me) somewhere in the calibre code is some cleverness to generate random user agents presumably to assist with not having us blocked for scraping.

The problem I am seeing with Goodreads specifically is that when moving to a new website design they provided different html to different browsers. So for Chrome you get the full blown new design, then for other browsers like Firefox you get something different.

The latest iteration now means that there is yet another variant between at least those two browser types. Frankly it is all a giant pain to deal with, and I would rather just have Chrome based user agents rather than all these other variants which are creating too much work for me to have to maintain support for.

Is there a suggested/recommended way to provide some Chrome only based user agents from the browser provided to the plugin? I vaguely recall years ago there was a method you could override in a base plugin class to provide the agents? I don't yet have my own computer with me to be able to trawl through the code easily and figure out whether it was my imagination or if true exactly what that code should look like to do what I want?

Or is this all just a bad idea, likely to see the Goodreads plugin completely blocked and I should suck it up and try to support scraping for all the different page variants...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You override

Code:
@property
def user_agent(self):
   return random_user_agent()
as for whether its a good idea or not, only experimentation will tell. You can get various types of user agents via the random_ua.py calibre module.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:34 AM   #3
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Kovid for the steer, I shall take a look at this in a few weeks time.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:22 PM   #4
kiwidude

Hi Kovid,

So a user kindly put some code in for me making use of a random_chome_user_agent() function from random_ua.py. However someone else then tells me that this was only added in calibre 6.

Looking at the history I can see there was previously a random_chrome_ua() function from back in 2017 - can you please give me a rough min version of calibre I could use for calling that as a fallback? Trying not to force calibre 6 as a min version for widest possible support.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:28 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It was added in caac92bbd8 so any release after that should be fine. You can find a list of releases for any commit in github,
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...7162ad729850a4

which here gives us 2.81.0

Though Ihave no idea how well that function works in historical calibre releases.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #6
kiwidude

That's great thanks Kovid. Yeah it will be an "at your own risk" type of support in clinging on to an older calibre, if it works then it is a bonus, if not they upgrade.