Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Can't Move to Collection

I have a paperwhite on which I have several collections. Books arrive in Uncollected and my goal is to move certain ones that are at the top of my reading list into To Read. Normally, I do this by making an extended finger press on the book which opens up a menu of a bunch of options including Add or Remove from Collection. But, there are two books currently where the extended finger press opens up a menu which just has Mark as Read and delete book. Now, it is true that I normally move a book into a collection when it is unread, freshly downloaded, and these two were books previously downloaded which I had to find via search and then, since the extended finger press doesn't work in search, I opened and immediately closed them. This brought then to the front of Uncollected so I could try things like the extended finger press, but no joy.

I wish there was an option for going back to the old interface where so much space wasn't taken up with covers and where the option for moving to a collection was more obvious.

So, any suggestions? I have gone to Digital Content on the website and both reset farthest page read and added them to the desired collection, but I will see later if that actually worked.
tamhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #2
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

Apparently, the changes via the website worked. Handy to know that, but I do wonder about the observed behavior on the paperwhite.
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think I had this happen once, but cannot reproduce now. I think I wound up going to non-Collection view and doing the collection assignment there.

But also I have sometimes forgotten to click the Done button to save the change.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
tamhas
Zealot

I have to say that, having discovered that one can do the category assignments on the web page, that is actually a great, fool safe way to work. I just have to open it periodically and review recent purchases and assign them as appropriate. Much less risky than having to open Uncollected and try to read the covers and think what it was.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
how do collections work? can i place a single item in multiple collections? can sideloaded material be placed into collections?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
how do collections work? can i place a single item in multiple collections? can sideloaded material be placed into collections?
Yes, on item in multiple collections.

You need to at least register the device to create collections, but after than you can put side loaded content in them.

You'll get a variety of opinions here as to whether collections 'work'. My recommendation is to use them sparingly, or at least don't put a lot of time into it, especially with side loaded content. Short of jail break, you will not be able to manage that with calibre, or back any of it up.

You do get some more flexibility if you Send to Kindle and let amazon store it for you, at least you won't lose your collection work and can manage it with web browser.

If collections or playing nice with calibre are something you're interested in, get a different eReader. For example Pocketbook will pay attention to calibre tags and will let you browse using them, and will also let you browse file folders if you like to organize that way.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-05-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #7
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
thanks for the info. i think i'll just work with collections on the kindle itself. i don't really have too many collections to create and mainly want to easily find ebook side loads vs pdf side loads vs send to kindle files.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I only have a handful of collections, and none have more than about 50 items in them. If they had a Started filter or Mark as Favorite I could do with a couple fewer of them.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #9
tamhas
Zealot

For me, collections is a place to park things for special purposes. E.g., To Read and Read are self explanatory. After a book is Read, I delete it from the Kindle and keep it only in Calibre. Skip is a place to put things if I decide I am not going to read them. They get deleted in the next maintenance pass. Reserve is a place to park things I will want to read, but I want to wait a while, e.g., if I am building a complete set of something. Reference is for reference books like dictionaries and the like.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhas View Post
For me, collections is a place to park things for special purposes. E.g., To Read and Read are self explanatory. After a book is Read, I delete it from the Kindle and keep it only in Calibre. Skip is a place to put things if I decide I am not going to read them. They get deleted in the next maintenance pass. Reserve is a place to park things I will want to read, but I want to wait a while, e.g., if I am building a complete set of something. Reference is for reference books like dictionaries and the like.
I assume you're side loading, otherwise there is a Read property when you finish the book (or just want to mark it as such) that you then can use in a Filter. When this showed up I got rid of that collection.

If they ever add filter for Started (anything that you've turned a page for), or an option to have these always appear at the top of the list, I could get rid of my Currently Reading collection.

If they let you set a Favorites (or equivalent) property that would eliminate my Read Next collection.

I also have one for omnibus books ('complete works of' etc.) and Foreign Language books (which I aspire to be able to read one day).

Regarding the original topic, note that one has to touch the Save button after updating collections, and not Close (X), which will cancel the update. I sometimes tap the latter by mistake and wonder why it didn't 'take'.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Takes up to 8 tries to finally move the book to collections... next time I pick up the reader to read the books are Back in the Uncollected UGHHH
Another problem I am having are Duplicates!! I DL 1 book it copies on the reader 6-8 times!! My account only shows 1 book. So, if I delete, I may only end up having to rebuy this is Crazy!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote