Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #751
wow400
wow400 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW

Last edited by wow400; 09-17-2022 at 12:18 PM.
wow400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #752
wash
wash began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
I'm stuck in ;demo mode on 5.14.2 KOA2

After side-loading the Post Jailbreak hack with Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin my Kindle rebooted and it's still stuck in ;demo mode. When I select "Resell Device" in the Demo Menu I get a "Shipping Mode Error"

Any tips?
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 05:21 AM   #753
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa doesn't litterhanakomisa doesn't litterhanakomisa doesn't litter

Device: PW3(?), PW5 (5.14.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
I'm stuck in ;demo mode on 5.14.2 KOA2

After side-loading the Post Jailbreak hack with Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin my Kindle rebooted and it's still stuck in ;demo mode. When I select "Resell Device" in the Demo Menu I get a "Shipping Mode Error"

Any tips?
Try factory resetting by first typing ;uzb into search bar, then plug in the device, make a file called "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" (without any extensions, just a file.) on the "root" (actually internally referred as /mnt/us, so if you see that it's just your "Kindle" storage you see when plugged in.) of your Kindle's storage, then reinstall 5.14.2 using this link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...sis_5.14.2.bin, factory reset again just to make sure everything is clean and start over, best of luck!

Last edited by hanakomisa; 09-21-2022 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Clarifying on where to make the file, edit the download link since I confused KOA3 with KOA2.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #754
wash
wash began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
Try factory resetting by first typing ;uzb into search bar, then plug in the device, make a file called "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" (without any extensions, just a file.) on the "root" (actually internally referred as /mnt/us, so if you see that it's just your "Kindle" storage you see when plugged in.) of your Kindle's storage, then reinstall 5.14.2 using this link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...sis_5.14.2.bin, factory reset again just to make sure everything is clean and start over, best of luck!
I tried that multiple times and it didn't work. I ended up starting the whole process over again and it worked the second time. Now I can read my books. Thanks, though
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #755
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Firmware 5.14.2 on PW5. The ";enter_demo" command did nothing except put it into a silent demo mode where I couldn't access settings but could exit using ";exit_demo". So I couldn't do the whole two-finger gesture shebang. The "alternative method" for entering demo mode also didn't work and gave the same results.

Instead, I entered ";demo", manually went to "Update Registration Info", filled in the dummy values, manually went to "Sideload Content" and did "Done" without doing anything. Pressed "Exit". Did ";demo" again, did "Sideload Content" again, but this time, I continued with the instructions starting at creating the ".demo" folder. For me, the ".demo" folder was already there, with a file "boot.flag" in it, so I just put the jailbreak files next to it.

Other instructions identical, and it worked perfectly with this variation.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 05:42 AM   #756
vs40
vs40 is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW 11 JB
Hi, folks!

Any info with which firmware now KPW5 is shipped out the box?
vs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #757
Puky70
Puky70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindly Voyage
I got one with 5.14.2 last week (germany).

Last edited by Puky70; 09-29-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Puky70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #758
DarkWolf
DarkWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, PW4
2 Days ago in Germany, PW 5 Signature Edition with 5.14.3
DarkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:27 PM   #759
vs40
vs40 is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW 11 JB
Ok... I would try my luck)
Ordered regular KPW5, also on amazon.de.
I hope I will get ≤5.14.2
vs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:25 AM   #760
Iceyz
Iceyz began at the beginning.

Device: DX to PW5!
Can I please confirm, to update to a newer firmware eg 5.14.3.2

Do I update and reapply:
"Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom" or as some of the guides suggest: "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install"

Thanks
Iceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #761
Iceyz
Iceyz began at the beginning.

Device: DX to PW5!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceyz View Post
Can I please confirm, to update to a newer firmware eg 5.14.3.2

Do I update and reapply:
"Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom" or as some of the guides suggest: "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install"

Thanks
Don't seem to be able to edit my own message so I'll quote myself.

For anyone that it helps I got a kindle shipped a couple months back (only opened today) with 5.14.0.1 - the JB DID NOT work until I updated to 5.15.1 - then I was able to JB and apply the hotfix from the OP.

I updated the firmware to 5.14.3.2, got a message that said 5.12.x (or similar) but the JB remained, I was able to install kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18982.tar.xz / KUAL-eb7e23d-20221002.tar.xz and I ended up re-applying
JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix (1).zip .. unsure if I need to use mrpi to reapply the jb hotfix again from the OP? But it wouldn't apply again as a regular update on 5.14.
Iceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:49 PM   #762
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2 & PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceyz View Post
the JB DID NOT work until I updated to 5.15.1
Misleading typo. (Or you did it wrong ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #763
phoenix wright
phoenix wright began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My kindle is jailbroken and its on 5.13.5 version. Can I update its firmware? If I can, which version should I choose?
phoenix wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #764
pcace
pcace began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Firmware 5.14.2 on PW5. The ";enter_demo" command did nothing except put it into a silent demo mode where I couldn't access settings but could exit using ";exit_demo". So I couldn't do the whole two-finger gesture shebang. The "alternative method" for entering demo mode also didn't work and gave the same results.

Instead, I entered ";demo", manually went to "Update Registration Info", filled in the dummy values, manually went to "Sideload Content" and did "Done" without doing anything. Pressed "Exit". Did ";demo" again, did "Sideload Content" again, but this time, I continued with the instructions starting at creating the ".demo" folder. For me, the ".demo" folder was already there, with a file "boot.flag" in it, so I just put the jailbreak files next to it.

Other instructions identical, and it worked perfectly with this variation.
Hey, thank you so much, i have followed your instructions and almost got to the end - i get the jailbreak successfull message. But when i get to the post jailbreak to "Select Update Your Kindle to install the custom hotfix" i do that after copying the hotfix to the device, i restart the device and just end up exactly where everything started... i am back to the stock kindle start screen.
Since i really am a newbe in this jailbreaking thing - is that supposed to happen? or how do i know if i really jailbroken the device?
my goal is to install koreader - but how!?

cheers and thanks a lot!
pcace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:08 AM   #765
pcace
pcace began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcace View Post
Hey, thank you so much, i have followed your instructions and almost got to the end - i get the jailbreak successfull message. But when i get to the post jailbreak to "Select Update Your Kindle to install the custom hotfix" i do that after copying the hotfix to the device, i restart the device and just end up exactly where everything started... i am back to the stock kindle start screen.
Since i really am a newbe in this jailbreaking thing - is that supposed to happen? or how do i know if i really jailbroken the device?
my goal is to install koreader - but how!?

cheers and thanks a lot!
Hi there, sorry for that last message - i just did not quite understand that the jailbreak worked and i do have to install (copy to the device) this thing:
"KUAL (coplate) | KUAL-eb7e23d-20221002.tar.xz | 2022-Oct-02 03:15:00 | 73.4K | e88213b65824aec51a23c755e5f31875 | Upstream"

now there is only one last question: if i happen to update to a newer firmare - is there any chance to downgrade again?

Cheers and Thanks for the great forum and jailbreak!
pcace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak