Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #811
breakmeouttahere
breakmeouttahere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle kt3 5.13.5
i tried rebooting from the restart menu and then copy the hotfix and update, but it said error 007 and didnt work. now i wonder, what did i do wrong. at the sideloading content part, is there like a special animation or something? cause i just clicked done and that was it. also, is there like a trick to copying the .zip and .json files maybe? i created a folder,'.demo' and put both in there, the .zip unpacked. the .bin file just disappeared from the root directory. i understand that being Kindle (F):/
and yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me actually
:/
breakmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:05 AM   #812
Chrona93
Chrona93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'm now updated to 5.14.2 and tried following the jailbreaking steps, but after searching ;enter_demo and restarting the device, there are no prompts. It seems I am in demo mode as some things are different ("Settings" and "Web Browser" are greyed out in the three-dot menu in the top-right), and I can get the demo menu by searching ;demo but what am I supposed to do without the prompts mentioned in the guide? I tried clicking sideload content and then just adding in the demo.json and zip into .demo as instructed and making an empty goodreads folder but this does nothing. Clicking on "Get Started" afterwards also does nothing.

Is there a video somewhere on someone getting this jailbreak working? One that's in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voratio View Post
All the firmware files are on Amazon's servers, the problem is they just happily point you to the latest.

To get a specific version, go to the Amazon firmware page. Locate the link for your Kindle model, click on it to start downloading the latest firmware (right now, it's 5.15.1). In your browser's download section/button, right-click on the file as it's downloading and copy the link for it, then stop the download. Open a new tab, paste the link and edit numbers from the firmware version at the end to the firmware version that you want (5.14.1.1, for example) and press Enter to start downloading the file.
Thank you!
Chrona93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #813
Chrona93
Chrona93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Nevermind, I have it working. I missed up one of the steps because I haven't been well. Works great but you just skip steps 4-8 of first section like others mentioned.
Chrona93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #814
Newsbuddy
Newsbuddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5th Gen
I'm heartbroken. Somehow, my Paperwhite deactivated airplane mode, and it updated to whatever the latest FW is. Now I'll never get to see my desired interface ever again. I loathe this new interface with a fiery rage, and it has really turned me off of reading my expensive Paperwhite.

Here's to hoping that either the Kindle dev team allows for further customization to retrieve my desired interface, or that a new exploit is found.
Newsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #815
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsbuddy View Post
I'm heartbroken. Somehow, my Paperwhite deactivated airplane mode, and it updated to whatever the latest FW is. Now I'll never get to see my desired interface ever again. I loathe this new interface with a fiery rage, and it has really turned me off of reading my expensive Paperwhite.

Here's to hoping that either the Kindle dev team allows for further customization to retrieve my desired interface, or that a new exploit is found.
Were you jail broken before the update was applied? As far as I know the JB survives updates with proper follow-up.

Assuming you still have an active JB there is a way to downgrade to an earlier firmware level, but I have never used it and don't know what restrictions it has.

Hopefully someone else can provide more information if there is any immediate hope for you.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #816
mangkoran
mangkoran began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone knows which fw version that is installed on new PW5? I just bought PW5 16GB during CM.
mangkoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #817
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangkoran View Post
Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone knows which fw version that is installed on new PW5? I just bought PW5 16GB during CM.
Depends on how long it has been sitting in stock on the shelf. Your best bet will be to check immediately when you receive it in an area with no open WiFi and no internet connection set up as it will want to update itself as soon as possible.

Once you know you can take appropriate action, either using the appropriate JB or deciding if you want to keep it in airplane mode and side load all content in hopes of a future opportunity to do so at the level you received.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:22 PM   #818
mangkoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Depends on how long it has been sitting in stock on the shelf. Your best bet will be to check immediately when you receive it in an area with no open WiFi and no internet connection set up as it will want to update itself as soon as possible.

Once you know you can take appropriate action, either using the appropriate JB or deciding if you want to keep it in airplane mode and side load all content in hopes of a future opportunity to do so at the level you received.

Dave
Thank you for the suggestion!

However, as PW5 16GB was just released recently (after the jb fix fw released), I over thought that it is highly unlikely to jb it :'( But let see later after I received mine. Hopefully it is using old fw version
Old 11-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #819
mangkoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangkoran View Post
Thank you for the suggestion!

However, as PW5 16GB was just released recently (after the jb fix fw released), I over thought that it is highly unlikely to jb it :'( But let see later after I received mine. Hopefully it is using old fw version
Fear of getting new stock, I cancelled my PW5 16GB order and ordered PW5 8GB instead. Finger crossed 🤞

Tags
jailbreak