Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #16
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I use the orange LED night-style light all the time. It gives the reader a parchment-like background that I quite enjoy.

Maybe I've read too many faded paperbacks!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Don't know nothing about a blue light, but just holding the Kobo when I'm in bed puts me to sleep and I get no reading done. LOL
A boring story works wonders to cause sleep
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #18
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A boring story works wonders to cause sleep
Yeah it was rather boring, so maybe that’s the problem.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The below mumbo jumbo link looks kinda scientificky to me? So your saying it is BS?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bad-for-sleep/
I think the studies are preliminary at best. The one study cited in SA:

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/4/1232

Reading the procedures and protocol, it seems designed to maximize chances of observing an effect. Yes, they are trying to eliminate possible other factors, but the device is a full size iPad “set to maximum brightness and placed in a stand that held it at a fixed angle at a 30 to 45 cm distance”. I have to assume this was black text on white. Participant is not allowed to hold it or make adjustments. It sounds like torture (they were allowed a 15 minute break in the 4h reading sessions).

For the people reading print books, they are allowed to hold the book any way they like and used their own materials. That is not a good ‘control’ group IMO.

Does that sound like a fair fight? In any case it has little to do with real world usage, and likelihood that the device is actually much smaller and much less bright. And critically, who has replicated the result (involving only 12 highly curated ‘healthy young adults’)?

Last edited by tomsem; 10-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Stop it. SCIENCE has been invoked. All hail!
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 04:53 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Stop it. SCIENCE has been invoked. All hail!
LEEBASE has spoken! End of discussion! Grovel before the mighty LEEBASE!

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #22
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I think somebody's sarcasm-meter is on the fritz.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
LEEBASE has spoken! End of discussion! Grovel before the mighty LEEBASE!

leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:44 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
This is awkward... I like you, but I don't love you. I hope we can still remain friends (without benefits.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #25
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
One of my concerns when I bought my Oasis was how the lack of blue light filtering would affect my sleep. But even with 12 LEDs, I've thankfully had no trouble falling asleep at night. Mind you, I keep the frontlight at the lowest level possible - just enough to illuminate the screen and not look like a tablet.

However I still prefer reading on a yellow tinged background at night. I can sort of achieve the effect by sitting near a warm light source with the frontlight just barely turned on.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Blue light at night just looks artificial, which is something that you might find ok, but is just terrible for those who don’t (e.g. those that have been using flux, Nightshift on Mac and iOS or equivalents on FireOS and Android, or Kobo for the past years).
There’s no denying that it’s tremendously pleasant after getting used to not seeing 6500k tinted light all the time. It helps screens blend in better with the light color typical lights have and generally therefore makes screens easier on the eyes.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote