Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
how long does your battery hold charge?

Hi, I've recently replaced my battery in Max 2, DYI method. Now I'm really curious how good the result is.

I came up with the following quick testing method: With 100% of charge open the built-in web browser to launch some old movie on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCoGSRZShy8

I didn't switch it full screen, just left it as it is, only switching to fast e-ink mode so the movie was actually watchable (I didn't really watch the movie, but just kept waiting until it goes silent, checking the batt level from time to time). My battery holds 1h 20 minutes. It's really low compared to a phone, but then I don't have e-ink on the phone. I'm just curious if e-ink draws so much power playing movie(??) or my new battery have rather low capacity.

Thank you in advance for reporting yours, if you're willing to make the test
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Besides the issue of Hal Holbrook, there's two issues here:
  1. How much current your device takes with a video in a browser.
  2. What the actual capacity of your battery is.
Ok, the two combine for the useful parameter of how long you can play video.

On my Poke3 you can read (if you're rooted):
Code:
# cat /sys/devices/soc/800f000.qcom,spmi/spmi-0/spmi0-00/800f000.qcom,spmi:qcom,pm660@0:qcom,qpnp-smb2/power_supply/battery/charge_counter
(I'm not sure if the separate "shadow" register is one that is reset by the OS.)

You could ask somebody with the same model:
  • Charge fully up
  • Measure the battery voltage and the charge_counter
  • Run a video for x length of time
  • Measure the battery voltage and the charge_counter
The differences in voltage should be about the same, the differences in the charge_counters should be about the same.

Me, I do so much dev and only read books that I never actually (specifically) charge my devices.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
I'm mostly interested in comparing with the same model, but other model would also do. On paper my current battery has 4300 mAh. I have about the same battery capacity on my phone where I can watch movies for a few hours, thus either the e-ink draws significantly more power for playing movie or my new battery is subpar. I never watched movie on my Max2, when it was new, so I have nothing to compare.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote