Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Alcott, Louisa May: Little Women (Illustrated) V2.0 September 2010

A classic tale of four sisters growing up. Even though the times have changed, the people are so human I can see myself having the same conversations with my family and friends today. A very touching book.

The text is based on the Project Gutenberg edition (eBook #514), which was edited by richough3 in this version. Images are from the 1880 edition. Since richough3’s version, I updated the following:
  • Re-sampled all images to improve clarity
  • Normalized CSS styles - removed over 200 redundant styles created by Calibre, consolided them into others and improved them for layout
  • Formatted Table of Contents and Table of Illustrations (matching 1880 edition)
  • Block formatted verses (relative centering - matching 1880 edition)
  • Formatted smallcaps throughout - except for Table of Illustrations (matching 1880 edition)
  • Changed all straight quotes (" and ') into curly quotes (“ ” and ‘ ’)
  • Changed all triple periods (...) into proper elipses (…) and all hyphens/double hyphens in emdashes (- and -- into —)
  • Floated images that are embedded into text so that text flows around them (matching 1880 edition)
  • Moved images to be closer to the paragraph that describes them (we’re not stuck to hard page breaks any more!)
  • Floated chapter-header images with first letter in the image so that it aligns with the text (see chapters 5 and 7 as examples)
  • Added proper accents to dozens of french words - some had no accent, some had the wrong accent
  • Added italics to dozens of words (matching 1880 edition)
  • Proof-read from cover to cover, correcting a couple dozen more errors that hadn't been caught in previous proofs
Due to some of the complex formatting (e.g. of the poetry, the Pickwick Portfolio, etc.), some parts don’t flow very well if you use very large text. I intend to make a “large type” edition soon if people request it...

This is my first ePUB book so I’m very interested in feedback. Thanks!

Enjoy!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Little Women - Louisa May Alcott.epub (6.07 MB, 1602 views)

Last edited by EricDP; 09-26-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: p.s. forgot to state that this version passes epubcheck 1.0.5 and epubpreflight 0.1.0. :)
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
This is my first ePUB book so I’m very interested in feedback. Thanks!
It looks very good on a quick look. The only thing I noticed immediately is that the first paragraph in each chapter still has a first line text indent. It's common for the first paragraph in each chapter to have no first line text indent, as there's no ambiguity about it being the start of a paragraph.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I agree with you and struggled with whether or not to do this. Ultimately, I was modelling after the 1880 Edition, which has the first line indented so I set it up that way.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
This is the best e-pub edition I have seen yet! So far a quick skim but looks beautiful, table of contents and chapter navigation is slick and nice. Thank you!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Thanks for uploading this, I have not read the book in a while and it'd be lovely to have it.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
EricDP
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
This is the best e-pub edition I have seen yet! So far a quick skim but looks beautiful, table of contents and chapter navigation is slick and nice. Thank you!
I'm glad you like the look of it. Are you reading on a Kobo? Let me know if there are any problems--I proofed on a nook.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
I am reading this on a Blackberry playbook, and am enjoying it very much. I have the app "Book Reader for Epub and Kindle" and it renders the illustrations very well.

The list of illustrations loses the first two letters of the link. Hence Cover becomes ver. The links all return to top of the page. This occurs in landscape and portrait views.

Everything else about this complex book renders perfectly, with full page illustrations and side by side illustrations looking very well. I think it looks best in portrait as that was the original book layout.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote