Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
muniek66
muniek66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Boyue Likebook Mars or Onyx Boox Nova?

I am considering buying a new Android e-reader. Is it worth to wait and pay extra to Onyx Boox Nova?

I'm a bit worried about reports of poor battery management at Boyue Likebook Mars ...

Thank you very much for any advice .
muniek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Rbneader
Evangelist
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I'm in the same boat. I suggest waiting just a bit until this new round of releases is out and there are a few more side by side comparisons.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/ has a lot of information and comparisons. They also review software and ease of use, not just hardware specs. I find that site very useful.

Battery life is less in Android based ereaders, because it's not an OS designed for eInk. It's measured in days instead of weeks, so it's still not like a tablet that needs charging every day. It's just noticeably less than in non-Android ereaders. I haven't found it to be that big a deal in my day to day use.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
muniek66
muniek66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Battery life is less in Android based ereaders, because it's not an OS designed for eInk. It's measured in days instead of weeks, so it's still not like a tablet that needs charging every day. It's just noticeably less than in non-Android ereaders. I haven't found it to be that big a deal in my day to day use.
Therefore Onyx Boox Nova may have the same problem with battery life...
muniek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, Likebook Mars, Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniek66 View Post
Therefore Onyx Boox Nova may have the same problem with battery life...
I see that you have a Nook - which is also an Android-based E-Ink device, by the way!

I don't know about the Nova, as it hasn't reached buyers just yet, but I do have a Likebook Mars. Battery life is reduced when WiFi is on. I always turn WiFi off when I want to just read. At the rate that the battery discharges while I read, I would get at least twenty hours of battery life if I just read with WiFi off.

Also, be aware that when companies like Kindle and Kobo talk about weeks or months of battery life, they always base that on a half hour per day, WiFi off, four or five days a week. When you look at it that way, the differences in battery life between Android E-Ink devices and others aren't quite so much.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:48 AM   #5
helen19770707
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx C67 kindle
I heard that Onyx Boox is promoting a new firmware that is able to minimize the power consumption. Have no idea how is the effect, but at least they're doing something on it. Why not wait a while and let's see.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote