Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
"Hours-minutes left in book" algorithm question

How are the calculations made for "x hours-minutes left in book?" If you put the Kindle down for ten minutes and leave it open to a page in the book, does that pause forever get figured into its calculation, or is it only the time it took to read the most recent page the sole variable it considers? Or what?
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know exactly, but it is definitely smart enough to tell when you aren't reading at all. I imagine it looks for patterns.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've wondered about this, too, and wondered just how accurate it is. I haven't done any testing but I keep my Kindle set to show the time left in the chapter and my impression is that it's reasonably close. But that's just an impression and I'm not really convinced.

Has anyone done any testing on this?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
How could we, just a bunch of customers, possibly know?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It isn't a silly question, there are several people here who might know, on account of they tend to break open updates and read the code for fun & profit.
a/k/a the Developer's corner.

Then too, there is trial and error. All the OP wants to know is the easily-observable visual effects...
Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It isn't a silly question, there are several people here who might know, on account of they tend to break open updates and read the code for fun & profit.
a/k/a the Developer's corner.

Then too, there is trial and error. All the OP wants to know is the easily-observable visual effects...
I can't speak for Ms Cassidy, but I took her comment to be a gibe at Amazon for keeping its customers in the dark about behind the scenes matters, not at me for asking the question. But now that you mention it, maybe it *was* a gibe at me.

In addition to reading code and trial and error, Amazon could have answered the question at some point in a published document or in answer to a question in an Amazon Kindle help forum (if one exists). I admit I didn't research the question.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Err, no manufacturer is likely to give detailed implementation schemas, and no FAQ will ever be 100% complete. I am generally content to be merciful on Amazon, and not get overly worried about Amazon's lack of description.
I would be willing to put down money that none of their support staff envisioned this question being unclear.

You want answers, you always go to the communities that use the darn things, we tend to either know more or have more time to answer questions.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I wonder how many of amazon's programming staff have the time to be avid readers? (And thus get first hand results of their own algorithms...)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find the calculations are quite reasonable if you continuously read, but I often get interrupted and there are pauses in my reading which makes actual reading time quite a bit less than the estimate.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Err, no manufacturer is likely to give detailed implementation schemas, and no FAQ will ever be 100% complete. I am generally content to be merciful on Amazon, and not get overly worried about Amazon's lack of description.
I would be willing to put down money that none of their support staff envisioned this question being unclear.

You want answers, you always go to the communities that use the darn things, we tend to either know more or have more time to answer questions.
Err, I've had excellent experiences getting answers from the support offered by SW developers and HW manufacturers as well as many poor experiences. User forums are not a panacea either as conflicting advice and information often appear in the same thread.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Just teasing!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The algorithm is pretty accurate. If it says I read 30 pages an hour (using my own counting in Calibre to determine a 'page length'), it's actually correct, +/- 1 minute or so.

In the end, the algorithm is useless however, at least with books converted from EPUB to AZW3 using Calibre. At some point, the algorithm will decide that I'm reading twice as fast. One moment it says the time left in the book is 4 hours, 30 minutes, and the next, it says 2 hours and 15 minutes. It has been doing that with every book I ever read, multiple times each book. It can be reset by searching for ";ReadingTimeReset" (without quotes), but that function is officially not known to users.

(I have never tested with an original Amazon AZW3 book; I only own 3, and I'm talking about a KPW1 here.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote