like this:

PHP Code:
header('Content-type: application/zip');
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$filename\"");
header("Expires: 0");
header("Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate");
header("Pragma: no-cache");
readfile($fullPathOfFile); 
and it works nice when I visit the page with my PC. However it doesn't work with the browser of my Kobo Aura, and consequently I can't download my epubs to my e-reader, which was the whole point.
I guess somehow the headers are wrong, could anybody please help me out with this?
Thanks in adavance, French Imp
french imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by french imp View Post
PHP Code:
header('Content-type: application/zip'); 
Try 'Content-type: application/epub+zip'

The Kobo browser will only download certain file types that it knows how to process.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
french imp
french imp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hello,
Thank you, GeoffR, I tryied it, but it didn't work with epub+zip either.
Any other ideas?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I just did a check with the calibre server. It is setting content type to "application/epub+zip" and works fine. If you are downloading a kepub, make sure the extension is ".kepub.epub".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
french imp

Thank you very much for your help, davidfor. I tried changing the extension to .kepub.epub, to no avail. Btw when I provide a standard link to the file, it works ok with the extension .epub. Only, that's not what I want to do.
Could there be something wrong with my other header commands?
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by french imp View Post
Thank you very much for your help, davidfor. I tried changing the extension to .kepub.epub, to no avail. Btw when I provide a standard link to the file, it works ok with the extension .epub. Only, that's not what I want to do.
Could there be something wrong with my other header commands?
How are you displaying the download? A link, button or something else? Does anything else happen when you try the download? There was discussion on this recently. From memory, the browser will handle a link OK. But, other things don't work. Especially if something like a popup is displayed.

Also, have you checked the server logs? Does it show the request to get the file?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
french imp

The download is displayed as a buttun in a formular. The button opens a php page
containing the following code

PHP Code:
$file $_GET['file'];
$dir $_GET['dir'];
$fullPath EPUB_DIR."/$dir/$file";
header("Content-type: application/epub+zip");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$file\"");
readfile($fullPath);
exit(); 
where $file is the name of the file, $dir the directory where the file sits.
This works with firefox but not with the kobo's browser. When I click on the button, the screen blinks 2 or 3 times but I don't have the dialog box asking me if I want to download.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

What does the server show? Does the above code get executed? If you can't see exactly, I suggest adding some logging statements to show. At least enough to see whether the code is being reached.

And what does the code behind the button do? If it is opening another window or tab, I don't think it will work.

I won't have a chance today, but, I can try and have a play at work in the next few days. There's plenty of servers I can try something like this on. It would help to have all the code involved. Any chance? If so, send me PM with a download link, or I can send you an email address to send it to.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
french imp

Hello davidfor,
thank you very much for your efforts. I have found a way around, thanks to your previous post. Instead of a form button, I have created a link to a dummy epub file, which is really a php file with a .epub extension (I had to change the .htaccess so that apache execute epubs), and this dummy epub executes the above code - and it works. Apparently it has to be a link to xxxx.epub. But since you feel like investigating further I'll do what you ask, I'd prefer not to fiddle with apache in such a silly way. Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #10
french imp

Hi Davidfor,
here's a minimal code exemplifying the problem :
PHP Code:
<?php

// minimal code to illustrate the problem
// this file is epub_test.php
// some epub file test.php should be in the same directory
// the file displays a download button, which works with ff
// but not with the kobo's browser

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

// code for downloading the epub file

$path "";

$file "test.epub";

header("Content-type: application/epub+zip");

header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$file\"");

readfile($path.$file);
} else {

// form with the trigger button

echo "<form method = 'post' action = 'epub_test.php'><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Download epub'></form>";

?>
Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That will help. But the source for the calling page is also important. Plus if I write it, I'll come up with something different to what you have.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #12
french imp

This page is the calling page. The script must be called epub_test.php. If you open this script, you'll have the button, and if you click on it, you'll download the file - or not.

Tags
download, epub, headers, kobo, php