Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
What is "Overdrive"? - Summary discussion

I'm looking for comments and corrections to my understanding of "Overdrive." Please forgive my detail and lengthy post....

I'm new to library lending and somewhat confused. Here's my thinking to date after borrowing one eBook from a library (and reading about Overdrive).

In hearing about "Overdrive" in these forums and elsewhere, I thought it was a "system" to handle display and/or play digital material received from libraries. You hear about it, see it's logo, etc, etc. but.....

"Overdrive" actually seems to be a digital media distributor, providing media services for libraries, schools, and retailers. See short article HERE.

"Overdrive" has a product named "Overdrive Media Console" which is available for Windows, OSX, and a multitude of portable devices, however, Overdrive Media Console may NOT be needed to actually use some of the delivered digital material.

I was surprised when my library "Overdrive" book download was actually an Adobe Digital Editions book (on my iMac and iPad.)

I now also understand that content is delivered to different devices in different formats (i.e.: the recent Kindle announcement.) So in reality there is no single "overdrive format," but rather "Overdrive" is the system that delivers the proper format to the device (and with the proper privileges, rights, etc., determined by the lender and/or seller.)

Some confusion came to me when I learned that some "Adobe Digital Editions" compatible apps on my iPad could "get" the library book (file) itself, so I wondered, why do I need OMC?? I think the answer is that Overdrive would be needed to play other types of media... Audio Books, Vids, etc. True?

So..... If, I use a reader app on my iPad to download an "Overdrive" "ADE" book from a library I really never need to know about "Overdrive". As long as I have my ADE account setup I really never need to know about ADE either. The download simply occurs and I can read the book in my app.

Same is true for Kindle and other devices. The proper file is downloaded and the user does not need to "know/use" "Overdrive" (though it's actually being used for delivery).

So what about other media? When is Overdrive Media Console actually needed/used?

Please, correct and expand on my interpretation.

(btw... I did an "overdrive" search of these forums but did not find this type of info. I posted a question in the "Apple Device" forum but did not receive much discussion.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yes, Overdrive is a distributor for library materials. They serve books in standard ADE-DRM ePub and PDF, used to also do so in DRM Mobipocket but no longer since the advent of Kindle library availability, and I've heard that some library systems have DRM-free eBooks available as well.

You don't need the special Overdrive software to download eBooks. They directly serve an ADE .acsm file which you can run through ADE, or the Mobipocket/Kindle itself (well, for Mobipocket they used to at least; Kindle borrowing has not yet made its way to Canada, so I don't know if they changed anything).

The Overdrive Media Console is mainly for downloading audiobooks, as they send .odm files which are like Overdrive's special version of .acsm files and contain a pointer to the actual download, which needs to be processed through their software. You also need it to transfer DRM-ed WMA files to an iPod (it converts them to MP3 using iTunes) and possibly to a WMA-player as well. MP3 audiobooks, which are non-DRM, you can transfer directly yourself from the Overdrive folder, though the software will also offer to do it for you with a compatible player model.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
deleted

Last edited by NightBird; 11-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote