Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Sinner3k
Enthusiast
Sinner3k began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, B&N Nook Classic, Pocket Edge, Kindle Fire
Need help with Calibre settings...

I know I'm a noob here, but I did try to search the forums for an answer and I wasn't able to find one.

The way Calibre sends files to my reader (Aluratek Libre) makes it almost impossible to see the title of the book in the list. I don't need to see "Edgar Rice Burroughs" in front of the title if I just opened the "Edgar Rice Burroughs" folder of ebooks. I want Calibre to use the name of the book as the file name, not the author and the filename. I wouldn't mind being able to place the series name and number in front of the book title, but the author is definitely redundant in this case.

I did try to change settings under Calibre's preferences and re-load the books, but that didn't seem to work.

Can somebody please tell me what settings I need to use to make this work?

Thanks!!
Sinner3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Go to Preferences --> Add/Save --> Sending to Device by clicking on the hammer icon in the toolbar.

In the Save Template input box put something like:

Code:
{author_sort}/{series}/{title}
When you send your files to the device, it will make a folder for the primary author, any series the book may belong to, and then save the book with it's title.

ie:

Code:
Burroughs, Edgar Rice/
  Barsoom/
    A Princess of Mars.epub
At least it should. There is a list of possible values for the file structure. Modify it to your taste.

cap

EDIT: you may need to use a backslash \ instead of a forward slash -- I'm on Linux, not Windows.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's always a forward slash.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

That suggestion helped me with the files structure on my reader (which is nice), but I guess what I need is to figure out how to get Calibre to display the title of the book as the filename instead of the author first. Even if I have it create a folder for just a certain series of books (Barsoom, for instance), Calibre is using <Author> - <Title> for the filename, so with the limited space I have, I only see the name of the author and the first few letters of the book title. If I could get the title in front of the author for the filename (or just the title in this case), that would be a lot more helpful when trying to select which book by a certain author I want to read.

Thank you both for your help!!

Oh, and kovidgoyal, I cannot thank you enough for creating this awesome program!!! For each minor complaint I have, I have a hundred good things to say about it.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

If your device is displaying the filename, and you used the pattern I gave you above, and you are reading a book sent using the pattern, then you should be seeing only the title, not the author.

Also, check the preferences on your device.

cap
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

I used the code you suggested (and added series number to the code) and it helps with the folder structure, but not the filenames. Maybe it has something to do with the reader itself. I just thought it was odd that on my PC, the filename in the Calibre database is <title> - <author>, but on my reader, it is <author>#<title>. I can just go in and rename the files to delete the author manually, but it's a pain.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
capidamonte

The Libre uses the Jetbook driver I think, and the driver default is set to the following:

{author_sort}/{series}/{title}

So, again, there shouldn't be an issue, unless you've changed it. Have you double-checked the metadata for the file you're using, in Calibre? It's possible that you have the title set to "author - title", I suppose.

Renaming all your files is what Calibre is for, so figuring out how to do it will save you many hours in your future.

Maybe some more details of how you're processing a book, from HD to Calibre to Libre would help.

cap

Last edited by capidamonte; 06-13-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

I haven't been able to find anything in the settings that would affect the filename, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll have to play around in Calibre some more to see if I've messed with a setting I shouldn't have.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
lancedod
lancedod began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex 511eb (Hanvon N520 clone)
epub conversion help with Hanvon n520

Hi, I'm new to this site but need some help with conversion. I have the elonex 511eb, the Hanvon N520 clone. I've used calibre to convert from pdf to epub a few times, and when using sigil or adobe digital edition the entire file is viewable. But when loaded onto the 511eb only about 75% of the book can be viewed. I have been able to convert the same book so it is totally viewable after messing with the settings but the results aren't constant when converting other books. What I have noticed is that when the file is completely viewable on the e-reader it's about 5kb bigger than the file which isn't totally viewable. Anyone have any suggestions cause this is really frustrating me. Usually it works when converting files one by one (not all the time) in comparison to converting a batch of files
lancedod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancedod View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site but need some help with conversion. I have the elonex 511eb, the Hanvon N520 clone. I've used calibre to convert from pdf to epub a few times, and when using sigil or adobe digital edition the entire file is viewable. But when loaded onto the 511eb only about 75% of the book can be viewed. I have been able to convert the same book so it is totally viewable after messing with the settings but the results aren't constant when converting other books. What I have noticed is that when the file is completely viewable on the e-reader it's about 5kb bigger than the file which isn't totally viewable. Anyone have any suggestions cause this is really frustrating me. Usually it works when converting files one by one (not all the time) in comparison to converting a batch of files
I think you would be better off posting this in a new thread that pertains to your reader (it sounds like a reader-specific issue to me) than by posting in an unrelated thread. Try this forum area:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=216

Good luck finding the info you are looking for!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner3k View Post
I haven't been able to find anything in the settings that would affect the filename, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll have to play around in Calibre some more to see if I've messed with a setting I shouldn't have.
There are two places that effect filename when sending to a device. Folks here already went over the save template for sending to device. Since you are having trouble with that working even though you just specified just title. I'll go over the other area.

Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin - select device plugin - customize. If you use the Jetbook plugin then it should look like the attached image. The default template is:

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

This template creates as example the following

Asimov, Isaac/Foundation - Isaac Asimov.epub (or txt, html, rtf, pdf etc...)

The folder of the author followed by the title - then the author name in the file name. Adjust this the same way that was previously suggested and you can set how books are saved on your device.

If you change it to

{author_sort}/{title}

This template creates as example the following

Asimov, Isaac/Foundation.epub

Change as you see fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device_interface_plugin.png
Views:	389
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	53379  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
Sinner3k
Enthusiast

Just so it doesn't seem like I'm crazy, here's the settings I'm using:

{author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>3s}/{title}

Which give me (for the Cobra series):

Books/Zahn, Timothy/Cobra001/

...which is exactly what I want (thanks in no small part to the help I received on this thread, thank you!!). What I DON'T want is the filename to read:

Timothy Zahn#Cobra.epub

...which is exactly what is happening. I would like the title to come before the author in the filename so that I can see the titles of books written by the same author that are not part of a series, like this:

The Mad King#Edgar Rice Burroughs.epub
The Outlaw of Torn#Edgar Rice Burroughs.epub

As you can see, a long author's name takes up most of the screen's available space. That's the only problem I need to fix to be in ebook nirvana.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

Timothy Zahn#Cobra.epub
In the device interface plugin did you try unchecking the Read metadata from files on device?

I'm not familar with your device but I bet if you look at the device in explorer it may show a file name of Cobra.epub and is pulling out Timothy Zahn#Cobra.epub and creating this info via metadata read from the file on your device.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-15-2010 at 06:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Which give me (for the Cobra series):

Books/Zahn, Timothy/Cobra001/

...which is exactly what I want (thanks in no small part to the help I received on this thread, thank you!!). What I DON'T want is the filename to read:

Timothy Zahn#Cobra.epub
You are not crazy.

The Jetbook device driver forces the last part of the path to be {authors}#{title}.epub. The driver uses uses this pattern to determine author and title. I don't know why it does this (the driver is before my time), or what will break if it is changed. For all I know, the Jetbook requires this format.

Their are changes in 0.7.2 that make the forced filename not be required for filename metadata matching. All that is required is that title and author_sort or author be somewhere in the name. If someone can convince Kovid that the forced name is not necessary (which may be easy for all I know), then it can be removed.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Jetbook requires that format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote