Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Question About Series' Brackets

Hi.

Sometimes, I have books within a series that I don't have to have in numerical order. For example, under the tag "Fantasy," I have a series titled "Five Hundred Kingdoms" for Mercedes Lackey's books. I told Calibre not to number the series, so each is listed as "Five Hundred Kingdoms [1]."

Am I missing a button somewhere to not have the [1] at all - or any brackets? The books are in the series because they are all set in the same ... universe (for lack of a better descriptor) but they can be read as stand-alone books. In other words, I don't need the brackets or numbers.

Thanks for the help.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Series columns, both standard and custom, all expect to have numbers. There is no way to get rid of them.

Instead of using series, you could use a tag or a text custom field. They don't have an associated index.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Hi.

Sometimes, I have books within a series that I don't have to have in numerical order. For example, under the tag "Fantasy," I have a series titled "Five Hundred Kingdoms" for Mercedes Lackey's books. I told Calibre not to number the series, so each is listed as "Five Hundred Kingdoms [1]."

Am I missing a button somewhere to not have the [1] at all - or any brackets? The books are in the series because they are all set in the same ... universe (for lack of a better descriptor) but they can be read as stand-alone books. In other words, I don't need the brackets or numbers.

Thanks for the help.

Marilyn
Zero is a valid number for series_index.
I use that when a series has no order or there is an orderless addition to a series. eg A Guide to Middle Earth. The Darkover concordance.

I even use fractional numbers [1.5] for "revised" editions
I have yet to come up with an acceptable way of handling "Omnibus" editions where ,originally there were 2 or 3 books and now the book contains all of those AND my library still has single book titles in the series.For now, i also tag OMNIBUS

I would love to see a active link entry to allow an entry for "contained in" books with no need to "Split" or duplicate a book.
Title 1 links to book 73 as contained in.
Title 2 links to book 73 as contained in.

and there would still be the real book 73 entry (with a marker indicating it is a link master? Deleting this book will remove the [single link] linked titles)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Series columns, both standard and custom, all expect to have numbers. There is no way to get rid of them.

Instead of using series, you could use a tag or a text custom field. They don't have an associated index.
Oh, the text custom field! I forgot that was a new option for Calibre. That'll work perfectly!

Thanks for the help.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote