Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Angry Ebook DRM provider goes dark, the books you paid for disappear

Not sure if this article has been raised here already - I couldn't find it. I guess fictionwise servers will be overloaded in the next few weeks as customers download all their books to make sure they have copies!... Then I guess you will need to DeDRM the lot!...

Just another in the long line of arguments for a serious review of the whole eBook DRM debacle:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/08...rovider-g.html

Quote:
Ebook DRM provider goes dark, the books you paid for disappear
Posted by Cory Doctorow, January 8, 2009 12:55 PM

Hudson sez, "Fictionwise used Overdrive to provide DRM encrypted ebooks to their customers and Overdrive has informed them that they will be shutdown on 30 January with no reason given. Since Fictionwise doesn't have the decryption keys, they are not able to provide new versions of the books to all customers."

Fictionwise strives to maintain your purchases indefinitely, but our terms of service do not guarantee they will be available forever. Forever is a long time. We have control of our MultiFormat files and we have control of the Secure eReader format, so that gives us the ability to ensure we will continue to be able to deliver those formats to you. However, as noted above, other formats are delivered through third party aggregators. We do not have legal control of those third party servers. If those third party servers "go dark" for one reason or another, we have no way to continue delivering those files.

And publishers wonder why their customers rip books off on #bookwarez sites rather than paying for them...

OverDrive and the eReader Replacement File Program FAQ:
http://www.fictionwise.com/help/Over...cement-FAQ.htm
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
This is from last year. I do recall talk about FW being dropped by Overdrive. I think the downloading has been done.

Edit: Here's the front page thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yeah and I still have over 2 dozen books that have not been replaced. I am proactive and make sure that all my DRMed books are liberated soon after they're downloaded.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Yeah and I still have over 2 dozen books that have not been replaced. I am proactive and make sure that all my DRMed books are liberated soon after they're downloaded.
Same for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I've still got 3 or 4 books that haven't been replaced. It's really annoying when I see those books available for purchase in the .lit format, but they haven't been able to replace them. This makes twice I've bought ebooks and had them become "unavailable". First through Amazon, then through Fictionwise. This is the reason most people (who do some research before they buy) won't buy a format that cannot be "liberated".
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Me too! Thanks to Mobilread, everything is decrypted into Calibre within 24 hours.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
This is from last year. I do recall talk about FW being dropped by Overdrive. I think the downloading has been done.

Edit: Here's the front page thread.
My stupid mistake with the date - still in 2009 mode!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
My stupid mistake with the date - still in 2009 mode!
Not stupid at all. Based on the responses its a good reminder for us to make sure we've downloaded everything everywhere and backed it up because who knows what will happen next.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
orwell:

I also want to thank you for dredging up an old thread...to be honest, I've been the the same position in finding a thread during a search only to find it's 3yrs old. Then comes the dilemma as to starting a new topic and being hammered by the "net nannies" or "thread police" or dredging up the old thread in hopes of updating the details and even taking advantage of the fact people might be more aware of the topic in question and being better able to have a good discussion. Kinda Hobson's Choice in the world of inline forums...what a netizen to do? Eh, either way there are the PITA sorts who are so contrary they "go both ways" so as to feel included in every topic and the center of attention wherever they go...just ignore those sorts if they persist...that usually really gets their knickers-in-twist and is actually quite fun and funny.

BTW, if the board owner (Alex in this case) does not want old threads to be brought back up from time to time then threads over a certain age or period since last activity need to automagically close. But in an effort to let users continue an old discussion when relative info already exists in an old thread their could be a link in the old-closed thread to open a new thread which contains a link back the the original thread in efford to give those new to the discussion quick access to backgound on the topic. We already have this in the "Similar threads" box at the bottom of each thread we open to read... Perhaps an feature like this would appease everyone. Sure it would take some coding, but should be relatively straightfoward to add. The issue is would it be used enough to justify the time and effort. I think so because it would help others realize there exists a ton of discussion on many topics which they never bother to find for themselves because search is sort of intimidating for many people, even today after using search engines for how ong now? ...I dunno? Maybe I, or anyone who finds this idea reasonable, can make a post in the "Site Suggestions" section?

Anyway, my question about this whole DRM server going dark thing would only seem relevant for those who have not downloaded their book(s) already or need to move the book to a different device. After being download it matters not a single iota if the service takes it's ball and goes home in a huff. It's not as if the reader software must "phone home" for permission to be read.

Now for someone who needs to move to a different device then, yeah, it is relevant for sure. But thanks to the diligent efforts of many people there are tools to make that happen even though it might take some trial and error on the user's part.

So, I guess unless one is completely tech deficient this is a non-issue for all but one or two DRM schemes which have not been, ummmm, "solved" or for the person who does not even know where to get info or why they cannot simply move devices on some of their books. And this last part is, to me, the shining reason why DRM is so very bad to the business. Many people read because they love it, but I imagine far more do so because they have to choose their forms of entertainment or even educational materials very judiciously due to budget issues.

Anyway, I do like that your brought up an old thread that is actually relevant because of many people considering a new device only to learn some of the books they bought in say, secure MOBI, cannot be read on their new device because the device has ADE/secure EPUB and MOBI demands exclusivity in terms of DRM content, which is asinine and only harms the industry as a whole. Still it's a thing people need to remember when looking at new devices and incentive to learn how to use the tools needed to let them move their books between device w/o worry.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
This is the reason most people (who do some research before they buy) won't buy a format that cannot be "liberated".
Or they'll simply go to the darknet in the first place, in future.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yeah I usually liberate my books immediately because of this reason.

DRM is a blight. People who don't want to pay for something won't suddenly go and buy the book because DRM forced them into it. That's a pretty rare case imo. So they have obtrusive, annoying and dangerous DRM on books which consumers (the people who PAY for the books) hate - just to force the additional 1% of people to buy it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'm curious, is the current Overdrive.com site a different eBook provider?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Same site - Overdrive didn't shut down completely, just severed its relationship with Fictionwise.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Same site - Overdrive didn't shut down completely, just severed its relationship with Fictionwise.
Ouch..that's even worse than just shutting down completely.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Yeah I usually liberate my books immediately because of this reason.

DRM is a blight. People who don't want to pay for something won't suddenly go and buy the book because DRM forced them into it. That's a pretty rare case imo. So they have obtrusive, annoying and dangerous DRM on books which consumers (the people who PAY for the books) hate - just to force the additional 1% of people to buy it.
Good take on DRM in general. It's a pacifier for the publishers who think everyone in the world is out steal from them, probably because they themselves are exactly that sort of people.

Something which often mentioned in this discussion is that DRM probably adds as much as $1/book to the consumer because the DRM provider gets paid for the service then the publisher does not just pass that through or absorb the cost, they actually mark it up as part of the production costs. And to counter the argument that adding DRM eliminates the need to add $3/book to counter darknet, I would say that is already factored into the cost of each book in the MSRP. So, that defense of the practice is specious at best.

BTW, I dare ya....post one more time to reach 1000 posts!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark, decryption, drm, fictionwise, provider