Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Need New Information

Information has been fairly sparse from B & N since the launch. I wonder why the delay in any follow up information. I recognize that we're still 4 weeks out from delivery, but I expected B & N to have a constant drip of information to keep interest up (and those that pre-ordered from cancelling given the ebook pricing, no gift cards, and other issues).
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I rather suspect they announced the Nook this far ahead of time to freeze people who are just starting to shop from moving ahead with a purchase of some other device until the Nook is actually available. (Kinda like some world-dominating software company announcing an OS release two years ahead of time because another company is going to announce THEIRs in a month.)

More than likely, the limited units they had for the press release are the only functional units, and the total lack of information is because there isn't any information to drip.

Fact of the matter, the slow answers we did get probably isn't deliberate snowballing by BN. I can visualize the questions coming in and the BN folk looking at each other with wide eyes, saying "Wow, I never thought of THAT one. I wonder if we can do it that way."

Of course, I'm just making this all up, but it sure would explain a lot.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
well... if that ain't f*cked up like soup sandwich!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
well... if that ain't f*cked up like soup sandwich!
f'ed up like a football bat, indeed.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
avwh
avwh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I rather suspect they announced the Nook this far ahead of time to freeze people who are just starting to shop from moving ahead with a purchase of some other device until the Nook is actually available. (Kinda like some world-dominating software company announcing an OS release two years ahead of time because another company is going to announce THEIRs in a month.)

More than likely, the limited units they had for the press release are the only functional units, and the total lack of information is because there isn't any information to drip.

Fact of the matter, the slow answers we did get probably isn't deliberate snowballing by BN. I can visualize the questions coming in and the BN folk looking at each other with wide eyes, saying "Wow, I never thought of THAT one. I wonder if we can do it that way."

Of course, I'm just making this all up, but it sure would explain a lot.
I think that's dangerously close to the truth.

A shame, really, because they've shot themselves in the foot if it really is as great as they've initially pitched it. But with no one actually using/seeing it, their customer service people haven't a clue for how to answer 90% of the inquiries on these boards. And the ebook prices are freezing most who would have pre-ordered it, until they calculate that they'll spend incrementally another Nook a year in the price differential in ebooks between B&N and Amazon.
avwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
ProHobo
ProHobo began at the beginning.

Device: BlackJack
You can also see they are VERY slow if not reluctant to even answer any questions on B&N's own ebook forums. The admins don't respond to questions (maybe they don't know the answers), then every now and then they do.

B&N Forums
ProHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProHobo View Post
You can also see they are VERY slow if not reluctant to even answer any questions on B&N's own ebook forums. The admins don't respond to questions (maybe they don't know the answers), then every now and then they do.

B&N Forums
Sometimes they don't answer at all. I posted a question about requesting titles and never got a response. Not only that, but they moved my question to another topic started *after* I made my post. They're swamped with queries but are either too busy or uniformed to answer them. My guess is it's a little of both.

Hoping B&N gets some of this sorted out before the nook ships. I don't expect everything to be perfect, but at least answer our questions so we can make informed buying decisions!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
So how wierd is that?

I was just messing around and now we have Engadget talking about a little disagreement between Spring Design and B&N about which is the chicken and which is the egg.

Guess we'll have to wait til Nov 30 to see which one is the hologram.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote