Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Is it possible to run Calibre for Win as a service?

This way Calibre would always be running automatically so you wouldn't have to make sure you started Calibre again after a reboot, and it would be running even if you hadn't logged in to your PC.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont think so, the calibre executable isn't designed to be run as a service, still it may be possible, I haven't tried.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Thanks Kovid - I guess I will just have it run as a startup app.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
I gave it a try on Win7. It seems to work very well.

The easiest way to run anything as a service is to start it using the Task Scheduler. I simply made a new task that starts calibre on system startup. It starts, and the content server works.

The downside is that in order to use the GUI interface, you need to start another session of calibre. I don't know if there are any negative consequences to having two sessions against the database at once. I suspect that since the background session is read-only that it will work just fine. Of course you can't do things like stop and start the content server since you're not able to control that session.

Is there a way to, when I close the GUI window, to have Calibre stop completely? If not, adding this as a preference would be nice as, with the content server always running as a service, there's no need to keep the second session running.

Tom
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can right click on the system tray icon and select quit to quit calibre. Or press Ctrl+Q
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert