Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Lesley8844
Lesley8844 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Fetch Metadata from Server function stopped working

Hi - I wonder if anybody can help please - I have recently got a Sony 505 and started using Calibre. At first the fetch metadata function from server worked fine but a couple of days ago it just stopped working. I tried searching for books I have previously found data for but nothing returned and I just get a message every time saying

No metadata found: No metadata found, try adjusting the title and author or the ISBN key.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
Lesley8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
You should probably make sure that your isbndb.com key is valid. Also, did you double check isbndb's website for that isbn# to see if they actually have it?
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Lesley8844

Hi thanks for responding - yes I did check to see if isbn was available - i even tried with books i had already found metadata for before this function stopped working. I tried generating a new access key but still failed. I tried clearing out cache in browser etc (firefox) in case there was something blocking but no luck there either.

As well as the no meta data found alert there is also the message

Warning: could not fetch metadata from:
Google Books: (10060, " a connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond")
IsbnDB: Could not fetch ISBNB metadata. Error:

Calibre is brill for sorting out my library but I am really missing this function as it saves so much typing!! I'm sure I'm going to kick myself when I find out what is causing the problem ... so if you have any more thoughts I'd be truly greatful
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That sounds as if your firewall is blocking Calibre from accessing the internet.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Lesley8844

Thanks for responding - I did check firewall even though nothing had about the firewall had changed - tried disabling etc. I agree it is something blocking at my end but not sure what.

When i think about it the only change is I installed Sony Ebook Library so I think that is the most likely cause. I've been looking at forums there seems to be some issues but nothing so far that solves my problem

I have tried uninstalling both Calibre and Sony Ebook Library and just reinstalling Calibre but no change

anybody else had conflict with Calibre and Sony Ebook Library in this way? any thoughts?
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You'llg et more debug information if you run calibre ina comamnd prompt as

calibre-debug -g
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
murrer
murrer began at the beginning.

Hi

I am having the same problem here.

I used to get metada with no problem but then, some weeks ago, it stoped working...

I thought it could be the old version I was using, but I have just installed the 0.6.26 version and still can't access any metadata from the databasis...even if I provide the isbn from amazon it gives me the same message Lesley got.

I am running it in a WIndows XP OS.

Anyone can help?

Tks
murrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
murrer

Please

Could anyone give some help?
tks

Rod
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrer View Post
Please

Could anyone give some help?
tks

Rod
Did you upgrade you security products recently?

Start with just the title.. No Author, No ISBN
If you don't have it, Download TCPView for windows from Microsoft
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx
You can watch the connections from your system when you send the Mete-data request.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
murrer

Hi guys!

Today I decided to do a restore on my notebook (Fujitsu Lifebook 1610).

ANd then I reinstalled all the softwares..and voila'...calibre is fetching metadata again!!!

If someone has any clue on what has happened please tell us.
tks

Rod Murrer
Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
similar issue here. metadata was working fie earlier today n but as I continued to tidy my library it got slower & slower then began returning the "stalled" error. I quite & restarted calibre but no joy. A reboot of the PC would maybe fix it but clearly this is a program issue not a windows or firewall issue.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
similar issue here. metadata was working fie earlier today n but as I continued to tidy my library it got slower & slower then began returning the "stalled" error. I quite & restarted calibre but no joy. A reboot of the PC would maybe fix it but clearly this is a program issue not a windows or firewall issue.
This is unlikely to be a Calibre error. It's far more likely to be something else - perhaps something hogging your bandwidth. Is the browser still snappy when you can't fetch metadata?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
This is unlikely to be a Calibre error. It's far more likely to be something else - perhaps something hogging your bandwidth. Is the browser still snappy when you can't fetch metadata?
i have 20mb broadband - nothing else running, browsesr works instantly like always. & we're surely talking about a trival number of data packets here ?

I retried some previous ones where the ISBN had already been found - a couple worked but even those took approx 10 seconds each !.
I went back to isbndb.com for which you need an access key & checked my usage - 187 out of 500 per day allowed so it's not that.
re ran caibre installer - repair option, that made no difference either.

an author + title serach for hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is hanging for over 30 secs then reporting stalled - surely that's not a hard to find book ?

hmm - UPDATE that one actually finally appeared while I was typing previous sentence. getting the cover took another 5 seconds.
let me try one more... restaurant at end of universe - 15 seconds to return search results - then another 5 seconds to get the cover.

so it's now wokting again, but very slowly - wheras it timed out/stalled on both of those titles an hour ago.
is there any way to debug this further.?

maybe both the medatdata servers get very busy at this time of day ???
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
maybe both the medatdata servers get very busy at this time of day ???
It could be. Calibre asks for data from multiple independent servers and has to wait for each one.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

retrying 1 day later - metadata for "I robot" took 60 secs to find, given title & author to work with.

I wonder if searching for popular books, which will have lots of editions, is slower than for rare ones ?

I also find that once multiple metadata sources have been found, then the the business of hovering over each found entry with the mouse, in order to see which has the best summary can be slow to change. I assume it's meant to work via hovering ?