Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Crossway Reverses Decision to Quit Making Revisions to the ESV.

I found it interesting that Crossway, whom I believe owns the copyright and know that is, at least, a publisher of the English Standard Version (ESV) Bible, has decided that the ESV will be subject to changes in the text in the future, after all. This is a reversal of a decision that they had made in the past to make the ESV text permanent.

Apparently, and I had missed the news about this, sometime back they decided to "finalize" the text, in other words, quit making any revisions or any other changes to the text of the ESV.

There is an excellent article about this on this Christianity Today webpage.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-30-2016 at 04:31 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Crossway realized that it would be more profitable changing 52 words every couple of years, than having a stable edition.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Crossway realized that it would be more profitable changing 52 words every couple of years, than having a stable edition.

Amber
I detect a cynic. ha

From what I read, I really didn't get the impression that that was their motivation at all. Why would they even have started the policy if all that they are interested in is profit?

Oh, and if I remember correctly, historically the number of word changes has been far less than 52 each revision. Unless you count the additions to the preface, foreword, etc. telling you about the reason the revision was needed, blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-03-2016 at 06:56 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Oh, and if I remember correctly, historically the number of word changes has been far less than 52 each revision.
Hasn't it been 52 words changed, IN TOTAL, since the ESV came out until now? That is what I thought...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

Amber
Navin R. Johnson: "Ah... It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off."
- The Jerk
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Hasn't it been 52 words changed, IN TOTAL, since the ESV came out until now? That is what I thought...
The article says that last month (August, this was published 9/28) they had changed 52 words in 26 verses and then announced the freeze. Apparently there was a lot of criticism, and they reversed it at the end of September.

The arguments for not making the text permanent are pretty sound. Over time scholars gain better understanding of portions of the Bible, plus English changes. If you freeze the translation, it will grow increasingly inaccurate over time.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:

Amber
You might be able to argue that if they didn't give away the electronic version.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Navin R. Johnson: "Ah... It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off."
- The Jerk
"Take a chance, win some crap. Step right up--"
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
The article says that last month (August, this was published 9/28) they had changed 52 words in 26 verses and then announced the freeze. Apparently there was a lot of criticism, and they reversed it at the end of September.

The arguments for not making the text permanent are pretty sound. Over time scholars gain better understanding of portions of the Bible, plus English changes. If you freeze the translation, it will grow increasingly inaccurate over time.
Isn't the name a misnomer though then? I mean 'standard version' implies a stability of word choice to me anyway. Though I do understand that word meaning changes over time. Conversation is a case in point. Back when the KJV was written the word meant the way a person acted, their way of life, rather than just two or more people talking i.e. having a conversation.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote