Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Question: Loading books onto Reader

The PRS 505 User's Guide clearly states that one loads books onto the Reader and deletes books using the eBook Library software. I know that Calibre offers an alternative for managing the content on the Sony Reader.

But -- is there any way that I can just manage book files outside of either library system? I now have several hundred files in BBeB format for the Sony Reader and I'd really like to just put them onto the device and remove them using normal file movement from my PC to the "mounted disk" that the Sony Reader appears to be when connected with the USB cable. I see no value in putting any of these books into the database used by either piece of software and if I do put them in the software database, the book then takes up 2x the storage on my PC disk.

I was all ready to do this when I saw this statement in the User's Guide: "Do not delete files in the folder under "database," and files in "database," using Windows Explorer. Perform data management using eBook Library."

It doesn't say that you can't add books, but cautions about removing books. But now I'm worried about how I can or cannot manage the book files in a safe manner.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
According to Kovid Goyal (creator of Calibre)
Quote:
Send [operation of Calibre] updates the cache with the new books metadata. But the reader will do that automatically anyway if you only save to disk, so there's no great advantage.
Meaning that there is no issue with taking an LRF file and simply placing it on your reader in the
Code:
/database/media/books/
folder.

As for deleting books, you can now do that from the Reader itself. I have no experience with deleting books directly through the mounted filesystem. Deleting from the reader may be slow, but it is a safe method.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you very much. I need to perform the firmware upgrade & then I can use the device function to delete books.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't even have to put books specifically in that folder; the Reader scans the whole disk.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You will see that the first time you open a book (or change size), it'll take a few secs to 'format' the book, but that's the only difference.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You don't even have to put books specifically in that folder; the Reader scans the whole disk.
Hmmm... is there a benefit or penalty to putting books outside of the /database/ heirarchy?

And, since you've weighed into this discussion, Kovid, is there a convenient way to use Calibre to move books onto and off of the Sony Reader without storing them in the Calibre database? My thought is that I only need to have books in the database when I'm *working* on them as in creating books or converting books from another format. I'm concerned about disk storage requirements -- storing books on removable media (external USB drive) rather than my primary hard drive on this laptop. I don't want to configure Calibre to use the database from another drive, so I have to pay attention to its size so that I don't run out of space on my laptop's drive.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I don't want to configure Calibre to use the database from another drive, so I have to pay attention to its size so that I don't run out of space on my laptop's drive.
Wow... either you have ALOT of books or a VERY small laptop drive if you are worried about the space the ebook files will take up on your hard drive. Why put them in "two" locations on the drive? You only need them in one location, the calibre database. Do a save-to-disk to a thumbdrive or other backup media to archive them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wow... either you have ALOT of books or a VERY small laptop drive if you are worried about the space the ebook files will take up on your hard drive.
I have a decent-sized laptop drive, but this is my work computer and the company puts lots of stuff on it, leaving very little for me -- several Gig, don't get me wrong, just not unlimited space.

Quote:
Why put them in "two" locations on the drive?
That was my original question. I must have the book on my hard drive before I can import it into Calibre -- and Calibre stores a copy in its database. So for books that I'm simply wanting to load onto the Reader such as those downloaded from MobileRead, Feedbooks, or Baen -- if I can load them using normal "mounted disk" techniques, then I can avoid having the second copy stored in Calibre.

Quote:
You only need them in one location, the calibre database. Do a save-to-disk to a thumbdrive or other backup media to archive them.
This is what I plan to do for those books I have created using Calibre. But your question above is the pertinent one for books that require no conversion. If it's safe to load books onto the Sony Reader without using Calibre to do it, then I avoid having to be concerned about managing the space used on disk.

------
I manage books for my Kindle in a very simple manner -- initial download to the laptop, push to Kindle, move books off laptop to permanent storage as convenient.

The Kindle nearest analogue to Calibre's loading function is MobiPocket Reader. And since I don't use MobiPocket Reader to move books onto and off of the Kindle, I only have to remember to delete books from MobiPocket Reader if I open them for reading on the computer. Similarly, if I want to read a BBeB book on the computer, I would load it into Calibre to use its viewer.

I know I can put the books into Calibre's database, but it's just another step and if I can use the same processes for both book readers, I'm less likely to screw something up!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In calibre, select the device to show the files on your device, then click the "Add books" button, it will copy the files you select directly to the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
if I can load them using normal "mounted disk" techniques, then I can avoid having the second copy stored in Calibre.
Similarly, if I want to read a BBeB book on the computer, I would load it into Calibre to use its viewer.
You can - I typically use "Beyond Compare" to sync my books with the Reader-as-USB-drive.

You can also run the Calibre viewer as a standalone app ("lrfviewer <filename>") from the command line without needing to use the full GUI, if that might help...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That was my original question. I must have the book on my hard drive before I can import it into Calibre -- and Calibre stores a copy in its database. So for books that I'm simply wanting to load onto the Reader such as those downloaded from MobileRead, Feedbooks, or Baen -- if I can load them using normal "mounted disk" techniques, then I can avoid having the second copy stored in Calibre.
Where is this "second copy" you are talking about? Drop the eBook files into calibre, then delete the file. Viola, one copy.

But, yes, there is no "requirement" to put the book file into calibre... you can just put it on the Sony directly. If is perfectly safe.

BOb
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--

You can use the Sony reader to drag and drop books from your computer directly to the Reader without adding them to your "Sony Reader Library". The advantage of this method is that the Reader will process the books so that the Reader doesn't have to -- making for faster loading times when first opening the book or changing the font size.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Let me see if I got this right: I can drag ebook files directly into the /database/media/books/ folder when the Reader is connected to my pc? (And this is the preferred folder to store books in?) And the books will take a few seconds longer to open (first time only?) if loaded this way?

Here's why I ask: I just got a 505 as a gift for my sister, and want to load it up with lots of my non-DRM ebooks (lrf format). I don't want to use the Sony Library(?) because I don't want to register the Reader on my pc. And I don't want to use Calibre (?) to load books because I don't want the drivers to conflict with Library, which I use to manage my other Readers on this pc.

Does this make sense?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Let me see if I got this right: I can drag ebook files directly into the /database/media/books/ folder when the Reader is connected to my pc? (And this is the preferred folder to store books in?) And the books will take a few seconds longer to open (first time only?) if loaded this way?
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Does this make sense?
Um, no. You don't need to register/authorize the reader to be able to transfer books to it using Sony eBook Library.

BOb
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
stxopher
Nameless Being

Registering it just adds it on the DRM account list (a bit like Mobipockets). You can still use the software to do everything else without it being a registered item.