Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Dhruv
Dhruv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5 (Non Touch)
Economist Recipe

Hi...

I am a new member...

I wish to confirm whether Economist requires a subscription/login or not for downloading the current issue. I have a Digital subscription. However, I am able to download the current issue without logging in.

Googling does not throw anything definite
Dhruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Dhruv

Hi. Would appreciate if someone could confirm the same.
Thanks in advance
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
fstulp
fstulp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The current print edition can be read at http://www.economist.com/printedition without a subscription. I read it there weekly, but now and again buy a paper copy at the airport/station. If something's that good, it's worth paying for, even if it's free. That's my hybrid "digital/paper subscription" model ;-)
fstulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstulp View Post
The current print edition can be read at http://www.economist.com/printedition without a subscription. I read it there weekly, but now and again buy a paper copy at the airport/station. If something's that good, it's worth paying for, even if it's free. That's my hybrid "digital/paper subscription" model ;-)
That's fine if you feel that way, but realize that getting it online for 'free' does not mean the magazine gets no revenue from that... Their advertising rates depend on online views in addition to paper subscriptions and/or sales. A lot of newspapers world wide learned that lesson the hard way when they started putting up paywalls...
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
fstulp
fstulp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Their advertising rates depend on online views in addition to paper subscriptions and/or sales. A lot of newspapers world wide learned that lesson the hard way when they started putting up paywalls...
I see your point. But when using calibre to download The Economist, there are no advertisements included, so it's a bit like "cheating" against their business model. And advertisements in print have a much higher profit margin than those in on-line media. Newspapers are learning that the hard way too. Anyhow, however they get their money, let's hope it is enough to sustain The Economist for a long time to come. Their profits are still good, but going down...
fstulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Dhruv

I cancelled my subscription and found that I could still access the print edition through Calibre. However, three weeks back, I renewed my subscription as I felt it was worth paying for. Just my opinion.