Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Couchchicago
Couchchicago began at the beginning.

Device: Moto Q and Palm Treo
Newbie needs help with drm Mobi files

Hi y'all!

I need help! I have approx. 60-70 mobi books. I just bought 2 more today. Normally, I only read them on my Moto Q. However, I recently found my Palm Treo...doesn't work, but can still use it as an eReader. Works better than the Moto Q.
My problem is this....all my books (most of them) are drm'd. I can read them on my Moto Q, but since I can't sync my Palm with the Mobi Library on my computer, I'm stuck and can't read my books (except on my Moto which sucks)
Now, I have Python which is supposed to un-drm my Mobi books for use on the Treo. I dowloaded the freeware.
So this is what I know to do.....I go to the Run Prompt on the Start Menu. I hit cmd to get to the MS-DOS screen...after that, I'm lost! What do I do next? I know there's a mobi2html converter? or something?
I just need someone to walk me through it. You'd think after spending about $1000 or more (just with Mobi...not counting Fictionwise and eReader. I'll eventually get to those as well...although I don't have a problem with Fictionwise) Anyway, like I said, if you've spent all this money on books, they shouldn't make it so hard for me to read it on any device I want. It's not my fault I can't sync the Palm with Mobi.
I've heard it's a no-no to post my email address on these forums....I guess that's a good way to get spam. However, if someone could get back to me, I'd be more than happy to send them my address. Go to chicagocouch@aol.com Please, help! I mean it's not life or death, but I really hate my Moto Q and will probably be buying a new Palm (probably the Centro) as that's the best pda/phone I've used yet. Haven't used the iPhone, but that looks like a toy to me. I need to actually feel the buttons when I type, you know?
Anyway, I'd appreciate if someone could help me out. thanks!!

Couchchicago!!!
Couchchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You don't absolutely have to sync your Palm device if you are still able to download the ebooks. You can find your palm device's PID by running Mobipocket Reader, and selecting About from the menu.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
First off: welcome to MobileRead, Couchchicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchchicago View Post
Now, I have Python which is supposed to un-drm my Mobi books for use on the Treo. I dowloaded the freeware.
So this is what I know to do.....I go to the Run Prompt on the Start Menu. I hit cmd to get to the MS-DOS screen...after that, I'm lost! What do I do next? I know there's a mobi2html converter? or something?
I just need someone to walk me through it.
I'm afraid that discussion of the specifics of removing DRM, including instructions on using the tools for that purpose, is one of the things that's against forum policy.

However, as Nate has said, if you still have access to re-download your Mobi books, you can always re-download them with the PID from your Palm.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote