Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Darrison
Darrison began at the beginning.

Device: none
Aura HD and Manga

Hi, for the past couple of days I had been pondering whether or not to buy a Aura HD. My main use is to read manga but I am not so sure on how well Aura HD does in that area. I know that it has impressive specs and a large enough screen for manga, but how much trouble do I have to go through just to read manga? I searched around for some information on reading manga on the HD but haven't found anything significant. So What I want to ask is how well suited is the Aura HD with manga?

- I know it supports cbz and cbr but is there any hacks/roots that can just display .rar without any conversion on the HD?

- Does it flash a lot when scrolling manga pages, is it slow at scrolling? Are there any other annoyances?

- What is Kobo's return policy? I seen threads debating this but never reach a conclusion... (btw I live in US)

Also does anyone have a screenshot of Aura HD with manga on it?

I sorry I am asking so much, but it would really help me decide and go through less trouble later. Thanks in advance!
Darrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
tharael89
Enthusiast
tharael89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
i've got the aura and is really good to read manga.
screen specs are awesome and the with the sd card you can put GB of manga without problems.

using an hack to directly read the rar file is useless. all you have to do is rename the rar extension in cbr and the zip in cbz. nothing else.

don't think of downloading directly on the aura. You use a lot of battery with the wireless on and downloading. better use the sd card which also lets you have GB of space. (i use a 16Gb and haven't had a single problem).

never had a problem with the scrolling.
sure it can be a little slow every tot pages but only if you read faster then the loading.
if i have to say a problem it would be in the cbz/cbr files.
when you download a manga volume it doesn't have the metadata file and so when you open it on the aura it won't have and index or any information other than the name of the archive.
so don't expect to automatically have a chapter division.
from what i remember there is a program that lets you add it and if you know a little you can even create it manually.

another one it the zoom. but this is a personal problem given that before i red manga scans on my old ipod touch so i'm not really good with the zoom of the aura.

don't know anything about the return policy. never thought of it since it's a really good e-reader.

only a thought. it's really ok to pay this price for using it only for reading manga? you can probably pay less if you buy a tablet and use it.
the aura hd first priority is ebook reading so if you also read manga it's a good plus to have the big screen but for reading manga first i don't really know.

that said it's a really good reader even for manga

ps: later i'll try to add a screenshot of some manga
tharael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
I read Manga on my Glo and don't find it a problem with regards to screen refreshes and zooming. Agree with tharael that you just rename the extension, no need to convert anything.

Again, agree that a tablet might be a better purchase as the bit depth of the screen will be better, not that modern e-ink looks bad compared to the first gen of e-readers, but it could be better.

I was thinking of buying the Aura for the newer screen and multi-touch, but I think I will get a cheap tablet instead and keep my old Glo just for books.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Darrison
Darrison began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you guys so much for the answers! I agree with the fact that a cheaper tablet may as well as suffice... I guess I will just ponder this more
Darrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura hd, kobo, manga