Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #721
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Doesn't look terribly hopeful, but you'd probably need serial access to figure out what's really happening.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #722
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The K4 has been in production for quite some time now.
How old is this one?

The K4 is the one that is glued together, so non-invasive things are the first to try.
Plug it into a known good wall charger with a known good cable -
Let it charge that way for a day or two.
(The charger is firmware controlled, there is no telling what charge rate it is now at when the firmware is obviously mis-behaving. Same with the indicator light, ignore it.)

Note:
This condition happened while making changes to the flash storage (deleting files - which on FAT32 writes to the file system directory).
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3

Last edited by knc1; 09-04-2014 at 09:45 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #723
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark29 View Post
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster.
I have a Kindle 4 NT and after a couple of times the book I was reading wasn't remembering it's place I realised something wasn't right, I tried deleting some books but it wouldn't connect to my computer anymore, I then tried to delete books on the device but that wouldn't succeed either. My next step was to try rebooting and it would then hang at the 20% progress with the tree.
Kubrick:
I tried running kubrick and got up until setting usb mode in diagnostics mode but when it rebooted into diagnostics mode from the previous step the screen looks like this and always has done since.

Any ideas?
Here is what I did when my K4 was stuck exiting diags:
1. Charged overnight.
2. Downloaded the MFGtool program from one of the other threads.
3. With MFGTool running on pc, and K4 plugged in to the same, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. While still holding power button, press DOWN on the five way and then release the POWER button. After which you release the DOWN button.
4. Make sure that "Kindle Main" (or whatever you want) is selected, and click start.
I hope it works
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #724
mark29
mark29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Here is what I did when my K4 was stuck exiting diags:
1. Charged overnight.
2. Downloaded the MFGtool program from one of the other threads.
3. With MFGTool running on pc, and K4 plugged in to the same, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. While still holding power button, press DOWN on the five way and then release the POWER button. After which you release the DOWN button.
4. Make sure that "Kindle Main" (or whatever you want) is selected, and click start.
I hope it works
Yep, I'd already charged overnight, followed these steps and got the "tree" screen, stops at 20%.

Then tried Kubrick again, get to the step of it flashing diags but it never finishes, left it for 30 mins at least but stays at status "flashing" with red bar.
mark29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #725
kayron
kayron began at the beginning.

Device: K4
hi. i have a K4 with a "your kindle needs repair" screen and wanted to try kubrick, but it's not booting.

what i did: downloaded the usb base zip, and flashed the image with the win32 flasher. then i downloaded the K4 iso and copied it to the efi/boot folder. when i boot from the usb stick, i'm getting "no usable kubrick partition found" (first attached image).

so i tried to debug it a bit and did the steps in the script manually (second attached image), but from doing that i can't identify the problem. does anyone have an idea?

edit: i did the steps in https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kubrick/...t=master#cl-48
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140907_131130[1].jpg
Views:	457
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	128009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140907_131815[1].jpg
Views:	435
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	128010  

Last edited by kayron; 09-07-2014 at 08:07 AM.
kayron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #726
dimovoi
dimovoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
How to update the Kindle 4 Touch to 5.3.7 after Kubrick 5.1? Thanks!

Last edited by dimovoi; 09-12-2014 at 03:09 PM.
dimovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #727
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just apply the regular Amazon update.

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates/touch

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #728
dimovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just apply the regular Amazon update.
when updating an error 007 and the update does not occur
Old 09-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #729
dimovoi

Can sew again using Kubrick, but when choosing Jailbreaking select the second paragraph?

After Kubrick my Kindle no longer wants to be updated. Neither air nor manually.

Last edited by dimovoi; 09-12-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #730
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@dimovoi:
There is no such thing as a Kindle 4 Touch (as we name things here) -
Please check the first four characters of your serial number against this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #731
kayron
kayron began at the beginning.

Device: K4
hey guys, could someone help me with my problem described in post #725? (quoted here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayron View Post
hi. i have a K4 with a "your kindle needs repair" screen and wanted to try kubrick, but it's not booting.

what i did: downloaded the usb base zip, and flashed the image with the win32 flasher. then i downloaded the K4 iso and copied it to the efi/boot folder. when i boot from the usb stick, i'm getting "no usable kubrick partition found" (first attached image).

so i tried to debug it a bit and did the steps in the script manually (second attached image), but from doing that i can't identify the problem. does anyone have an idea?

edit: i did the steps in https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kubrick/...t=master#cl-48
kayron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #732
sholzan
sholzan began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Hello all,

for the last 3 days I've been trying to debrick my K4NT using the methods posted here and also other topics, but had no luck so far.

This is the situation.

Kindle froze while reading a book and the screen still shows the text when it froze.

-Before trying Kubrick I let it charge for a full 24h using wall charger.
- Kubrick was able to recognize the device when put on download mode (power + magic key)
- The next screen Kubrick just keeps "Waiting for device" to enter fastboot mode.

After given up on kubrick, I tried MfgTool.

- Using Windows 7 (32bit)
- Able to see kindle as "HID-compliance Device" on device manager
- MfgTool is able to "see" the device just like the pdf guide says.
- Select profile "kindle fastboot"
- Hit Start
- MfgTool keeps looping the "loading fastboot" operation for 5 or 6 times
- After that it says "Operations Complete" but the device still is recognized as "HID-compliante device". No "kindle-fasboot device" is showed.

If you are thinking that the battery may be the problem, I as able to open the cover, remove the flat cable and measure the battery voltage --> 4.07V. Think it looks fine, since its rated 3.7V.

Any thought on what might be happening?

Thankz!!
sholzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #733
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try loading kindle main instead.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #734
sholzan
sholzan began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Try loading kindle main instead.

Thanks for the quick response Glorfindel.

Just tried kindle main:

It runs the process 1 time (no multiple loading looping), says "operations Complete" but after that it just hangs there. Nothing happens.

The exact same thing happens when trying kindle diags. (operations complete, but no reboot or what so ever.)
sholzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #735
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

can you get it in usb mass storage device mode on your pc?