Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Vatican goes all iOS on your Soul, approves Confession App

I genuinely don't know if this belongs here but it would seem to fit in three places. Maybe here, maybe in the Apple sub-forum or finally maybe in the Lounge considering the religious nature of the app itself. But what the heck here is the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/i...p/#commentsAre

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/02/c...cs-confess-app

Anyway, seems the Catholic Church approved an iOS app for use to track your 'sins' apparently to aid in more complete confessions.

Now the Vatican apparently did not write the app and it seems like more of a to-do list or "shopping list of sins" all to help promote the efficient confession. Maybe the confessor and the priest can just text, Skype, Google Chat or (??) each other rather than the drudgery of in person confessions. Heck now that one can use your iDevice as a Starbucks card and soon as a credit card then all donations can be run through the app.

What happens if Apple does not approve future versions of the app or if the Vatican solicits donations within the app, does Apple get their 30% cut of the take for being the "front man and wheel man" in the deal?

I see nothing wrong with the app and not being derogatory for our Catholic readers out there. But come-on ya have to at least chuckle at the irony of the use of a rather extravagant device that of all things does not scream humility is used to track and help perform one of the acts designed to instill a sense of humility and contrition.

I just love this stuff!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
What happens if Apple does not approve future versions of the app or if the Vatican solicits donations within the app, does Apple get their 30% cut of the take for being the "front man and wheel man" in the deal?
Maybe they will say 30% of your Hail Marys for you?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I can see this thread getting moved.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And let the rage commence... The first post currently showing over at Engadget is this
Quote:
I can believe how easy it is for people to spread misconceptions... You know it doesn't actually GIVE ABSOLUTION, right??? It's like a shopping list application. Just because I tick off "Milk" and "Eggs" doesn't mean they magically appear in my fridge.
By the way, Engadget, that's some great in-depth analysis, given you didn't bother to look into it at all or clarify this for people...
Let's play a game of Who's Stupider:
A) A practicing Catholic believes an app offers salvation
B) Someone (presumably Catholic) believes Engadget should provide a complete religious analysis on said app
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Maybe they will say 30% of your Hail Marys for you?
or ya have to do ~43% more to cover Apple's cut on the take?
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
The Vatican put its foot down Wednesday over the idea of "confessing" by iPhone, after news that US users can now download an application for the Apple gadget that helps the faithful gain absolution.

Yahoo News at:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110209...eligionoffbeat
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned

btw, hopefully people here are cool enough to not drag some wort of anger or such into this topic. Have some respect for what people believe, it's their choice and everyone of us should be respectful of that choice.

For me the humor is in the idea of the app along with the use of what for many people is a status symbol to aid in tracking their, apparently vast number of transgressions. YIKES!!

But really, guys I think people here are well read and mature enough to see the irony and humor here, no matter what your beliefs, without lighting the torches and heating up the tar while stacking the bags of feathers. :P

Maybe it's just a sign of the time how new tools change how we do things. And hey why not? right? whatever makes your life better, I just wanted to offer a shot at some levity amidst the seriousness that seems to exist here of late.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
The Vatican put its foot down Wednesday over the idea of "confessing" by iPhone, after news that US users can now download an application for the Apple gadget that helps the faithful gain absolution.

Yahoo News at:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110209...eligionoffbeat
Nice find "Old Man" that new piece is exactly how I understood the app to work. It is just a list manager so people can be more organized. I thought I had offered that take on it in my OP, maybe I din't so neat the Vatican commented further as did the developer.

Still I can see the SNL skits!! wowzers right up there with the Bass-o-matic!! hahaha...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Apple... Sins... Hmmm...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Apple... Sins... Hmmm...
D'oh!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
couple of evil institutions pairing up, eh?

edit: sorry, the above joke is in bad taste. Apple may have questionable business practices, but they really aren't evil.

Last edited by soondai; 02-09-2011 at 02:01 PM.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
For me the humor is in the idea of the app along with the use of what for many people is a status symbol to aid in tracking their, apparently vast number of transgressions. YIKES!!
Just think: you sit down to confess, but you can't quite remember all your sins. Out comes the iDevice and you can list them out. Tada!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
DISCLAIMER: I have an ipad and i love it.
DISCLAIMER 2: I am a Christian, but can see the humor.

JOKE: Don't we do enough praying every time we try to print from these things?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
My first thought was the blackmail possibilities inherent in this app if it happens to get compromised in some way.

My second thought was Stross' The Fuller Memorandum and how "Bob" went on about it being the "JesusPhone", possessed of a class-four glamour that endowed it with its own Reality Distortion Field™ and made it look like it could walk on water.

For what it's worth, I do kind of want an iPhone. But not enough to lease my soul into bondage to the local telcom for the next few years.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
There are so many clever, insulting, obnoxious and, yes, very funny spin offs that could be posted I simply must refrain myself. It's hard, but I will try.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote