Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your favorite genre? Choose all that apply.
Vampires 16 8.60%
Fantasy 85 45.70%
Sci-fi 96 51.61%
Comedy 25 13.44%
True Crime 15 8.06%
Mystery 71 38.17%
Historical Fiction 63 33.87%
Romance 20 10.75%
Christian Fiction 7 3.76%
General Fiction 46 24.73%
Biography / Autobiography 21 11.29%
Non-fiction 46 24.73%
Other (please specify) 24 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADuphily View Post
Yay Sci-Fi! I also selected Fantasy and Historical Fiction. Then again, I'll read almost anything (including technical manuals) if it's interesting...
you found your way *home*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I ticked my most favourite ones - but if it has words printed I read it. And yes, including labels and manuals
happy happy joy joy!!!! yAy!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #17
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I ticked Nonfiction, but I must qualify that choice.

If a book is a clever combination of fact and fiction, and it is believable, and recommended, then I'll buy it and read it.

I also enjoy books with a metaphysical background.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Fantasy all the way.

Pure escapism on my part.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #19
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I will read anything that is good.
However, I do lean toward mysteries and thrillers and I am not that into sci-fi but I do like fantasy works.
I also don't want to be disrespectful regarding anyone's preferences, so please don't take offense, but I really do not understand the appeal of vampire books (even though I did like Twilight due to the love story and revenge plot but not the vampire angle).
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #20
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I like a specific sort of fantasy, the non-epic sort.

More along the lines of The Hobbit, vs The Lord of the Rings.

It used to be a popular genre, but now it's pretty much been wiped out by the epic stuff (thanks to the World of Time and its imitators). Indeed, one of my favorite authors is basically forced to write the latter instead of the former because his series of non-epic stuff set in a common world just isn't as sellable these days.

And Urban Fantasy seems to have completely killed it off.

I also love Space Opera, but again, that genre isn't in the best of healthy (though probably better than non-epic, non-urban Fantasy).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #21
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I ticked historical fiction, general fiction, christian fiction and biographies.

I don't like horror as i tend to think about it when i'm trying to go to sleep, i would also like to get into fantasy/sci-fi but i just think i lack the imagination to get absorbed in them.

I also read non fiction, photography books are the main subject as i am a photo buff as well ..
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #22
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Fantasy all the way.

Pure escapism on my part.

I also read some general fiction and mystery/detective. But mostly fantasy with lots of battles and magic.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #23
IvyRose
Ebbok-Junkie
IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3G, iphone 3GS
Fantasy, definitely. Urban Fantasy (including the vampires) in particular with some SteamPunk thrown in and Mystery, especially British (e.g. Agatha Christie, P.D. James etc.) and sometimes some historical fiction.

A cross of all the above would be cool, yeah!
IvyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #24
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm really enjoying urban fantasy. While that sometimes includes vampire characters, it isn't exclusively so, which is why identifying the genre confuses me. Sometimes people use the term "paranormal romance" when there really isn't any more romance than in a general fiction story. But it isn't fantasy as in epic fantasy either. So I voted both "vampires" and "fantasy" which isn't really accurate. Maybe "contemporary paranormal fantasy" would be a better description. I dunno.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I selected Other because I read a lot of books that are considered (in the book store at least) to be Horror. Stephen King and Dean Koontz to name a couple.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I selected Other because I read a lot of books that are considered (in the book store at least) to be Horror. Stephen King and Dean Koontz to name a couple.
I should have added Horror to the list. I knew I would forget some major ones.

Just as I suspected, the poll seems to confirm lots of sci-fi and fantasy fans. There has got to be something I'm missing here.

Apparently, I need to develop a creative/imaginative side. I can never seem to get into anything that can't happen in real life. Even with situations that can really happen, if it's too far fetched I won't read further. Maybe I just need to lighten up. I know it's fiction but ... perhaps a xanax or two will help.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I should have added Horror to the list. I knew I would forget some major ones.

Just as I suspected, the poll seems to confirm lots of sci-fi and fantasy fans. There has got to be something I'm missing here.

Apparently, I need to develop a creative/imaginative side. I can never seem to get into anything that can't happen in real life. Even with situations that can really happen, if it's too far fetched I won't read further. Maybe I just need to lighten up. I know it's fiction but ... perhaps a xanax or two will help.
If you don't enjoy it, why read it? (That is, assuming you're reading for escapism. There are plenty of reasons to force yourself to read, say, for school or someone's opinions you don't agree with.) Life's too short to read for-fun stuff that isn't fun. If I'm not liking something by about page 100, I abandon it and try something else.

And I say this as a SF/F reader
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #28
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I like a specific sort of fantasy, the non-epic sort.

More along the lines of The Hobbit, vs The Lord of the Rings.

It used to be a popular genre, but now it's pretty much been wiped out by the epic stuff (thanks to the World of Time and its imitators). Indeed, one of my favorite authors is basically forced to write the latter instead of the former because his series of non-epic stuff set in a common world just isn't as sellable these days.

And Urban Fantasy seems to have completely killed it off.

I also love Space Opera, but again, that genre isn't in the best of healthy (though probably better than non-epic, non-urban Fantasy).
Sounds like we have pretty similar tastes, though I do enjoy some epic fantasy.

Have you tried Sixty-One Nails? I am, admittedly, only partway through it, but so far I'm finding it to be a light and enjoyable book.

Also rather enjoyed the first three books of the Avempartha series (haven't read any farther than that yet). It's a planned out 6 book series, but it doesn't read like Epic Fantasy to me. Just a longish non-epic tale.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Interesting thread! I'm surprised vampires haven't gotten more hits, since you hear so much about that genre.

I like mysteries!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
If you don't enjoy it, why read it? (That is, assuming you're reading for escapism. There are plenty of reasons to force yourself to read, say, for school or someone's opinions you don't agree with.) Life's too short to read for-fun stuff that isn't fun. If I'm not liking something by about page 100, I abandon it and try something else.

And I say this as a SF/F reader
Of course you're right. No point trying to force myself to like something, especially when I have a large backlog of free TBR books waiting for me.

This forum has been a real eye opener for me, though. I also assumed most sci-fi/fantasy readers were younger males. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I still can't help but think I am missing something and may download one when I see a freebie that seems interesting. If I ever get in the mood for something totally different, it will be there. Ereaders give people options like this, it's so great.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote