Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #46
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
A few days ago I picked up a white PDN at BB&B for $70 (after coupon and rebate). The first things that I noticed was (A) it was quite heavy for the size...just 5 oz. less than my iPad. and (B) something heavy inside that shifted slightly when tilting the device...I assumed that it was the battery. It looked like it would be a fun device to tweak and tinker with but didn't look like it would be very useful in practical use.

So I returned it and picked up an Aluratek Libre Pro... which is turning out to be quite a neat little ereader.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #47
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That was a very good price for the PDN. If you've already got an iPad, then the PDN would probably look like a step down, but for those of us unwilling to shell out the money for an iPad, it's a neat little toy.

I like my Aluratek, too. And since it doesn't have a clock, library books borrowed on it don't expire (just don't reconnect to the Adobe Digital Editions software until you are done reading them).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #48
bullwing
bullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it is

Device: pandigital white 7in
I recently got mine as well. Pretty neat lil gadget. Is it easy to root? What do I gain from rooting?
bullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #49
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwing View Post
I recently got mine as well. Pretty neat lil gadget. Is it easy to root? What do I gain from rooting?
It is very easy to root. You gain the ability to add a lot of apps including Kindle, Aldiko and other ereader apps. There are apps to view and download youtube videos. Plenty of games etc.

So after rooting it becomes a decent android tablet. Won't compete with an iPad but it also doesn't cost as much.

For rooting insturction go to slatedroid.com and look for the wiki on the Pandigital Novel.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #50
bullwing
bullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it isbullwing knows what time it is

Device: pandigital white 7in
thanks lotrfan
bullwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #51
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
If you can still find them, Kohl's has the white PDN for $60 on clearance.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #52
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
You can also get it for $30 at BBB if you PM to Kohl's.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #53
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Do You Still Have to ROOT it? Doesn't Pandigital offer a FW update that opens the Android side right up?

I have the Black Canadian one and unfortunately I am stuck at 1.5 but doesn't the white one come with 2.0?

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #54
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Got a Kohl's coupon in the mail today for 20% off one item and 10 bucks in Kohls cash. Gonna have to return it and rebuy it a 2nd time this week.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #55
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
Do You Still Have to ROOT it? Doesn't Pandigital offer a FW update that opens the Android side right up?

I have the Black Canadian one and unfortunately I am stuck at 1.5 but doesn't the white one come with 2.0?

John
Yeah but it is still very basic for what I have read. Some like it better though but I actually like the default home screen and the open fw doesn't include that. In its defense it seems that it is faster.

Yeah the white has 2.0 and there are some mods that add 2.1 and 2.2 with issues though.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #56
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post

John
No, you don't have to root it. The latest firmware from Pandigital is what they showcased at CES this week. It isn't officially released but will most likely be the new standard firmware. This new firmware does open up the Android side of things and makes it as "open" as the Velocity Micro Cruz though the PDN has better performance.

The first release of the Open Firmware that Pandigital released was indeed barebones... this latest one contains all of the apps as the official firmware including a new Slide Marketplace.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #57
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
No, you don't have to root it. The latest firmware from Pandigital is what they showcased at CES this week. It isn't officially released but will most likely be the new standard firmware. This new firmware does open up the Android side of things and makes it as "open" as the Velocity Micro Cruz though the PDN has better performance.

The first release of the Open Firmware that Pandigital released was indeed barebones... this latest one contains all of the apps as the official firmware including a new Slide Marketplace.

Hey WillysJM.....I've got 2 Pandigital Novels-white (actually 3, but may return 1 of them).....I'm thinking of hacking them both.....
Are you saying there is a new software update from Pandigital, that will allow access to the Android Market? And by downloading the latest software I'll gain as much as hacking (which I haven't actually researched yet)

Thanks

Last edited by The Joker; 01-08-2011 at 11:54 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Hey WillysJM.....I've got 2 Pandigital Novels-white (actually 3, but may return 1 of them).....I'm thinking of hacking them both.....
Are you saying there is a new software update from Pandigital, that will allow access to the Android Market? And by downloading the latest software I'll gain as much as hacking (which I haven't actually researched yet)

Thanks
Not the Android Market. SAM, Slide ME Market is something that I've never heard of before but appears to be an alternative android-market.

I'm loving this new firmware because it gives me the openness I want (to install additional apps), access to the original PDN apps, and doesn't have the downside of most other firmware (eg. sleep issues).

If you want access to the Android Market, just install one of the other firmwares that offer it.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #59
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Willys, from what I read on slatedroid it sounded like there was a different reader on the open firmware. Is that true?

I actually like original built in ereader (runs very well on the 11/17 firmware). would be reluctant to lose it.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #60
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Willys, from what I read on slatedroid it sounded like there was a different reader on the open firmware. Is that true?

I actually like original built in ereader (runs very well on the 11/17 firmware). would be reluctant to lose it.
Do you have a link to a thread where that is discussed? To the best of my knowledge and recollection, although the B&N library/store screen is different, the reader is the same.

Please note that the open platform firmware that I'm referring to is the one that was "leaked" a week ago and not the one that was formally released a few months ago.