LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gho57 View Post
Can someone help me?

I have this strings:
Gho57, something is wrong I think, the offsets displayed on the left side are too high. The header with the language information is somewhere in the beginning of the file.
Is it a public domain book? I'm asking this because in this case you can give us a link and I can take a look.
Or can you give some more information about the file?
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #47
Gho57
Gho57 began at the beginning.

Yes is mobipocket italian dictionary.

I use this on my HTC phone!
Gho57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
LucasCorso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gho57 View Post
Yes is mobipocket italian dictionary.

I use this on my HTC phone!
Hi. I have received your private message and responded to you the same way. As I suspected, you have a mobi book set as Italian. So either read the private message I've just sent you or use the little Windows application I posted yesterday in the same thread...
I hope it's working fine now...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #49
Gho57
Gho57 began at the beginning.

Perfects!!! It works! You're GREAT!! /respect!

MANY THANKS LucasCorso!!!
Gho57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #50
acmatos
acmatos is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader & Kindle 2 Int
It worked!

A million thanks to LucasCorso!

His little program worked perfectly and now I have an integrated French dictionary on my Kindle!

Now I only have to try to convert a stardict public domain version of a Portuguese dictionary to epub to try the same with it.

Cheers to this wonderful forum!

acmatos
acmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #51
LucasCorso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmatos View Post
Now I only have to try to convert a stardict public domain version of a Portuguese dictionary to epub to try the same with it.
Hi. There is nothing special with that little program. Practically all it does is open a file and put the language code at three different offsets. It finds those offsets after a sequence of 20 0xFFs or so...

But I'm responding to your message because you wrote epub in your reply, and that can't be right. I have no idea about the epub layout, so don't try to patch anything in it, for sure it will damage something.
Is epub suported by the Kindle and I don't know?
Hey, maybe there are folders too!
How long have I been asleep? WHAT YEAR IS IT?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #52
acmatos
acmatos is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader & Kindle 2 Int
No Epub, of course!....

No, of course, no epub.

I meant mobi!

And yes, the year is 2010, no folders yet, and I think I might need more sleep, or more coffee, or both!

Best regards,

acmatos
acmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #53
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
multiple dictionary use for international kindle

I don't know if it has been posted before, but I haven't found it so I'll just share:

It is not possible to select the primary dictionary for any language other than english.
But... my kindle seems to recognize when a prc book has another language setting and chooses some random dictionary with the same language as input for instant lookup.

so all I needed to do was to change the input language of all my german books to german, my spanish to spanish... and so on.
Mobipocket creator doesn't do that but some great guy wrote some pearl scripts that'll do it:
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl

So I put all my german books in a folder and since I'm a lousy windows user entered in the command:

for /R (your folder) %g in (*.prc) do perl mobi2mobi --outfile "%g" --language de-de "%g"

I'm not sure about the language option -hex digits didn't work for me... spanish worked by just entering "es" (without quotation marks)

then I used the mobipatch tool from above to set all my other german dictionaries to romanian except for the german wikipedia http://www.axelschaefermdb.de/service/wikipedia.html
(märz 2005 is the latest that will work)
doesn't know any inflections but is still neat...

and now I'm gonna do the same thing for my spanish books
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #54
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stehk View Post
I don't know if it has been posted before, but I haven't found it so I'll just share:

It is not possible to select the primary dictionary for any language other than english.
No, and then the fix was to set the in- and output languages of the foreign dictionary to English.
Quote:
But... my kindle seems to recognize when a prc book has another language setting and chooses some random dictionary with the same language as input for instant lookup.

so all I needed to do was to change the input language of all my german books to german, my spanish to spanish... and so on.
This is a great tip Thanks for posting about it
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #55
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Good news, and it's also more logical that way. That means i can have books in different languages, Kindle will pick up the right dictionary, give there's only one for each language. Too bad some books seem to have the wrong input language set.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #56
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Danke, stehk! I didn't realize the Kindle actually used the language setting from the book's metadata to choose the dictionary.

Works great for German books and dictionaries, but not for Chinese. I have books and a dictionary, both are set to Chinese (PRC) in the metadata, I also have unicode font installed and can read the books. But the Kindle won't look up Chinese characters in the dictionary. There are some English words in the book and when I add definitions for them to the dictionary I can look up those. Because of that I don't think there is a problem with the dictionary.

Has anyone succeeded in using a dictionary for a non-latin font language?
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #57
Garret
Garret began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Leaf 2
The program and all these tips are equally suitable for the new Kindle 3?

I have the intention to buy one and I need to put in it the English->Italian dictionary I found in .mobi format.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #58
nictuku
nictuku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My experience using a German dictionary in Kindle 3

Hi, I just wanted to report my partially successful experience adding a German-English dictionary to Kindle 3. The problems I was facing:
  • I could not find a proper German-English dictionary from Amazon. There are one or two, but they have very low user ratings and/or are not sold outside the US
  • The Oxford-Duden dictionary that Ea mentioned above is sold from mobipockets.com. I'm happy to pay a fair price for good books that I'll be using for many years, but I don't like the fact that their books are encumbered with DRM. I'm not sure if I would be able to de-DRM it, even though there are good information out there on how to. I avoid buying DRM-ed books as much as I can, specially when they won't work right away on my devices.
  • There are many good free (GPL) dictionaries out there. I wanted to try using those and see what happens.

So I wanted to use a German-English StarDict dictionary in the Kindle, using Linux. More details here, including a link to download the dictionary file ready to go in the kindle (it's a free, GPL content). There are many scattered posts in mobileread for instructions to doing this using Windows, but not many for Linux.

It worked, but it's not a good experience. First, this dictionary isn't good. Second, maybe because I set both the book and the dictionary to English, it won't lookup words that are capitalized in the middle of a sentence. But all nouns in German start with a capital letter so that's a big pain :-(. I believe this is by design, since dictionary lookups for capitalized letters in English don't make sense, so they can save a few CPU cycles to save on battery.

My next step is to change the metadata of the dictionary to indicate it's German (then do the same for the books I'm reading) and see what happens. Later I'll also try a better dictionary, maybe the one from dict.cc (free for non-commercial use, IIRC).

In the meantime, I'm hoping this may be useful to other people.

Last edited by nictuku; 10-03-2010 at 02:03 PM.
nictuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #59
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
The problem is that self generated dictionaries don't know any inflections. So if you really want a powerful dictionary plus inflections I would definitely recommend you this one:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=86467

I think it's really crazy that amazon owns mobipocket, but there is no official way to get the mobipocket DRM protected dictionaries working on the Kindle.
Anyway, maybe it works with this:
http://kindletools.prestonlee.com/
And AFAIK every proper mobi dictionary works fine on the kindle, as long as they don't have DRM
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #60
goflow9
goflow9 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Mobipocket creator doesn't do that but some great guy wrote some pearl scripts that'll do it:
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl
So I put all my german books in a folder and since I'm a lousy windows user entered in the command:
for /R (your folder) %g in (*.prc) do perl mobi2mobi --outfile "%g" --language de-de "%g"
I'm not sure about the language option -hex digits didn't work for me... spanish worked by just entering "es" (without quotation marks)
then I used the mobipatch tool from above to set all my other german dictionaries to romanian except for the german wikipedia http://www.axelschaefermdb.de/service/wikipedia.html
(märz 2005 is the latest that will work)
doesn't know any inflections but is still neat...
and now I'm gonna do the same thing for my spanish books
Did I hear German to Romanian? Is there such a dictionary for Kindle? If so, please let me know where.
Thanks
goflow9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle