Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Format conversion and fonts

Hi all, After playing with my EZ Reader for a little while today, I've decided I definitely need more fonts. I've copied several into a Fonts folder on my SD card, but they are not yet appearing on my device. I researched here and found that it could be because of the format I'm trying to read. I have non-DRM LIT files. I don't care at all for the default ibookn font. It is very small, and if I bump it to level 2, it flows into a 2nd page, which only has those 2 lines and the rest of the page is blank. Reading landscape is too big and not really my preference anyway. So, for my EZ Reader, which book format is best to convert to? Do any of them flow better so that there are no blank pages? I've been using Calibre. I've also just read about fb2? Can anyone comment?
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
Hi all, After playing with my EZ Reader for a little while today, I've decided I definitely need more fonts. I've copied several into a Fonts folder on my SD card, but they are not yet appearing on my device. I researched here and found that it could be because of the format I'm trying to read. I have non-DRM LIT files. I don't care at all for the default ibookn font. It is very small, and if I bump it to level 2, it flows into a 2nd page, which only has those 2 lines and the rest of the page is blank. Reading landscape is too big and not really my preference anyway. So, for my EZ Reader, which book format is best to convert to? Do any of them flow better so that there are no blank pages? I've been using Calibre. I've also just read about fb2? Can anyone comment?
Hi. Start with fb2 and the .css file from http://openinkpot.org/wiki/V3/OriginalFirmwareFonts Remove the p + p line, though, because it leaves empty space after a paragraph change. Copy the font files in fonts and crengine/fonts directories - the fb2.css file must be in crengine. Next start modifying the .css till you hit the right view.

Also rtf is very similar (Coolreader handles that one as well) and html isn't bad either, but myself, I use .fb2 principally.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
I've copied several into a Fonts folder on my SD card, but they are not yet appearing on my device.
Note that "Fonts" should be "fonts". These should then show up under the "settings" menu, under key 7 with some ebook types and under menu-> settings> inside an ebook supported by CR3 (e.g. RTF and FB2). You can't add fonts for MOBI but you can choose between the pre-installed fonts.

Probably FB2 is your best option, although it isn't the easiest format to find converters for (BookDesigner works though).

I recommend switching to the OpenInkPot firmware, see 20090222 snapshot. For LIT under OpenInkPot I explode to OEB (using ConvertLIT GUI), make a zip of the entire directory and rename it .oebzip. This is then readable directly by FBReader under OpenInkPot. However, I have been doing this for couple of years and now Calibre is a viable alternative which offers the option of exporting to MOBI or ePub. Both of these will work well using FBReader under OpenInkPot. If you had not raised the issue of fonts, using Calibre to convert LIT to MOBI would have been a good option for the standard firmware too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Another bit of knowledge is that Open Type Fonts do not work (i.e. they don't show up - at least in OpenInkPot firmware) even though they might have a .ttf extension. In windows (in the C:\Windows\Fonts folders) you can tell the True Type Fonts from the Open Type Fonts by the incons. The True Type Fonts icon has a double "T" while the Open Type Fonts incon has an "O".
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Before coming back to read your replies, I decided to experiment. I used Calibre to convert my LIT to MOBI. Upon removing my SD card to add the new version, and re-inserting into my reader, all of the fonts I chose appeared and showed up with the MOBI format. Also, the zoom feature seems to be quite a lot nicer using the MOBI as opposed to LIT.

I'm definitely going to bookmark this thread so that once I become more experienced, I can learn OpenInkPot as well as fb2. I think in future, it may be good to know how to use these.
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Another bit of knowledge is that Open Type Fonts do not work (i.e. they don't show up - at least in OpenInkPot firmware) even though they might have a .ttf extension. In windows (in the C:\Windows\Fonts folders) you can tell the True Type Fonts from the Open Type Fonts by the incons. The True Type Fonts icon has a double "T" while the Open Type Fonts incon has an "O".
I've downloaded an Open Type Font (District Thin) and tested it on my V3. It works pretty well.
lunohod is offline   Reply With Quote