Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Cover on the Kindle is the Calibre Logo

I have a MOBI in my Calibre library which shows with the book's actual cover.
When I open it in the eBook viewer the cover is the default Calibre generated one. That's also what I see in my Kindle's library when I copy the file over.

However, when I open the book editor there is a single item under "Images" and it's correct (the actual cover).

How can I get the cover to show on my Kindle?
melvynadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvynadam View Post
When I open it in the eBook viewer the cover is the default Calibre generated one. That's also what I see in my Kindle's library when I copy the file over.

However, when I open the book editor there is a single item under "Images" and it's correct (the actual cover).

How can I get the cover to show on my Kindle?
If you use the "Send to Device," "Safe to Disk" or other built in feature of calibre to export your book the metadata and the cover would have been embedded in the book during the export. Also if you convert the book to AZW all metadata and the cover is embedded during the conversion process. Alternatively you can use the "Embed metadata" feature of calibre to embed the metadata and cover into the book that sits in your calibre library before you copy the book to your Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
stearno
stearno began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
Where is the embed metada? I am only able to find embed fonts and embed superset something. Thanks.

Quote:
If you use the "Send to Device," "Safe to Disk" or other built in feature of calibre to export your book the metadata and the cover would have been embedded in the book during the export. Also if you convert the book to AZW all metadata and the cover is embedded during the conversion process. Alternatively you can use the "Embed metadata" feature of calibre to embed the metadata and cover into the book that sits in your calibre library before you copy the book to your Kindle.

Last edited by stearno; 07-16-2017 at 10:43 AM.
stearno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That's not ocrrect. The Calibre editor does not edit Mobi eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvynadam View Post
Where, exactly, does this correct cover show?
Quote:
As JSWolf correctly points out, there is some critical inaccuracy in your post. If you actually have a MOBI you can't open it in calibre's Editor. If you can open your book in the calibre Editor then it is not a MOBI file. Perhaps you have a KF8 format file, typically these have the AZW3 extension though some 3rd party sites may use .mobi instead.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearno View Post
Where is the embed metada? I am only able to find embed fonts and embed superset something.
The "embed metadata" tool is in the main calibre interface. It will be a button on the toolbar. But, you may need to add it yourself.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
@JSWolf, @dwig, @davidfor Y'all are responding to an old post recently reactivated in Post 3 by @stearno Here is the current question being asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearno View Post
Where is the embed metada? I am only able to find embed fonts and embed superset something. Thanks.

Quote:

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@stearno - Embed Metadata is one of calibre's built-in Tools, you need to add it to a toolbar/menu via Preferences->Toolbars, or give it a shortcut via Preferences->Keyboard.

Tip - don't add new questions to existing threads, start a new thread.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is don't use Send to Kindle. Don't convert to Mobi. Treat Mobi as though it doesn't exist. Mobi is obsolete. If you have to convert from ePub, convert to KF8 and side load the Kf8 via Calibre using the USB cable. That's how to do it. Send to Kindle is obsolete as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote