Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #691
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
@JSWolf
I'm also currently using your CHaris SIL Modified, and it's been become my favorite font - so thank you!

I just have one question. Right now I'm using the 5th size from the left. But for my preferences, it's a tad too large (though obviously, it's not enough of a problem to stop me from using it). But using the next size down creates a font that's just a little too small. Is there some way to resize the font to get a "4.5" size?
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #692
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Reading through the thread I got motivated to play around with custom fonts as well. Now it seems like whenever I embolden any font (usually it seems like, if the style of a font works well with eInk the font is usually still too thin) the kerning goes out of whack. Of course the kerning itself does not change, but the proportionality somehow does. I attached two pictures of the Microsoft font Constantia as an example. Do you have the same problem when editing fonts and how do you deal with it or am i just imagining things?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1362139770
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Constantia original.png
Views:	678
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	102158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Constantia modified.png
Views:	626
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	102159  
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #693
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I actually think the fatter version looks better.

The first thing that jumped out at me in the normal version was the word "missed", which "looks wrong". The SS-es are too close together, too far from the i, and too close to the e.

IMHO, it looks better in the fat version, as does the overal text.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #694
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
Reading through the thread I got motivated to play around with custom fonts as well. Now it seems like whenever I embolden any font (usually it seems like, if the style of a font works well with eInk the font is usually still too thin) the kerning goes out of whack. Of course the kerning itself does not change, but the proportionality somehow does. I attached two pictures of the Microsoft font Constantia as an example. Do you have the same problem when editing fonts and how do you deal with it or am i just imagining things?
I like the one with more weight to it better then the too think version.

Are those screen shots from a Mobi eBook or a KF8 eBook? If Mobi, please post a KF8 screen shot using the version with more weight. The idea here is to modify fonts so they work in both KF8 & Mobi. KF8 can be a bit more difficult to modify for. It will take more restarts to the Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #695
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I actually think the fatter version looks better.

The first thing that jumped out at me in the normal version was the word "missed", which "looks wrong". The SS-es are too close together, too far from the i, and too close to the e.

IMHO, it looks better in the fat version, as does the overal text.
I guess you are correct, the font looks a little "wrong" with the spacing all over, and not just on the Kindle it seems. I have tried messing with the white space and/or kerning, but I am only making it worse so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are those screen shots from a Mobi eBook or a KF8 eBook? .
It is in fact a KF8 I think (the file suffix is .azw3). Unfortunately I do not have any Mobi books to test against. I will see if I can find one (I think Bean uses Mobi).
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #696
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After reading for some time with my own fat version of Deja Vu Serif, I've tried returning to my previous default, Caecilia. As Shenzi in The Lion King would say: "Man, is that uuuuuuuugly!".

If I'd to choose a default now and custom fonts were not possible, I'd use Palatino, but I'd still have liked it a bit fatter with less line spacing.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #697
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It's so interesting that people want less line spacing. I like a fairly generous line space, even when I have selected a smaller font.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #698
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
After reading for some time with my own fat version of Deja Vu Serif, I've tried returning to my previous default, Caecilia. As Shenzi in The Lion King would say: "Man, is that uuuuuuuugly!".

If I'd to choose a default now and custom fonts were not possible, I'd use Palatino, but I'd still have liked it a bit fatter with less line spacing.
Just extract the Palatino from the PW and fix it to your liking if you need instructions on how to do that PM me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #699
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

IIRC you haven't jailbreaked your PW, correct?

If so, then I might try a fatter Palatino. I'll look up the instructions on how to get the font off the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's so interesting that people want less line spacing. I like a fairly generous line space, even when I have selected a smaller font.
I'm not the quickest reader in the world, but with too much line spacing, I'm flipping screens like a madman; ad least, it feels like that.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #700
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the final version of Charis SIL Modified Larger. I've fixed it so it works on the Kindle in Mobi & KF8 as well as working with ADE. It is no longer in beta. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?brs6539sg0whh1h

P.S. If you do try this on a Kindle Touch, you will have to delete the existing Charis SIL Modified as you only get one Charis SIL Modified menu and I don't know which one it would be. On a Kindle PW, you can try it with both and see if you get both in the font menu.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-01-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #701
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

If so, then I might try a fatter Palatino. I'll look up the instructions on how to get the font off the device.

I'm not the quickest reader in the world, but with too much line spacing, I'm flipping screens like a madman; ad least, it feels like that.
If you have Windows, you might have Palitino installed which you can copy and modify to your liking.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #702
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

No device needed to do it. I wrote a tutorial for a friend so if interested PM me and I can send it to you. It took me hours going through the developer forum to piece the process together but I did a happy dance when I figure it out.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #703
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have Windows, you might have Palitino installed which you can copy and modify to your liking.
Not the same font. They are different.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #704
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Not the same font. They are different.
Which is better?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #705
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
@JSWolf
I'm also currently using your CHaris SIL Modified, and it's been become my favorite font - so thank you!

I just have one question. Right now I'm using the 5th size from the left. But for my preferences, it's a tad too large (though obviously, it's not enough of a problem to stop me from using it). But using the next size down creates a font that's just a little too small. Is there some way to resize the font to get a "4.5" size?
Is that the largest size 5? If so that is what I use and I agree the size under that is too small. Amazon needs to add another size under the largest size. Too big of a difference from one size to the next.
new is offline   Reply With Quote