Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #16
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This begs the question: Is this bluish tinge on the Glo an issue when reading ? a bother or annoyance ? if not then who cares that it's bluish, if yes then please someone explain.
I think Amazon's marketing of the Paperwhite has done a great job in convincing people that a brighter, whiter light is the best light for reading. Goodereader especially seem to rate the various models according to the brightness and whiteness of the display, and rate the Nook Glowlight below the Kobo Glo partly because the Glo has the brighter light. Yet I don't think the Nook was ever designed to be startlingly bright and white, but rather the optimum light for reading, "softer" and "warmer" than an LCD. Of course, whether it is or not is another question, but I definitely don't think a light being whiter and/or brighter automatically makes it the best light to read in. If that were the case then we might as well all buy tablets!

I've played with a couple of Kobo Glos in the store and can't say I noticed them being particularly bluish, but even if they're bluer than the Paperwhite, I don't see why that should necessarily make them worse to read on. On the other hand, the light was a LOT more uniform than many pictures of the Paperwhite I've seen here, which probably is something that would make for a better reading experience.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, tablets shoot light at you which is annoying when reading for hours on end, and the "brighter" thing with the Glo shouldn't be a problem because you can simply dim it down to your convenience.

As for the bluish tinge, it does not strike me as a real issue since it's not too pronounced as you explained. I can't wait to get my hands on a Kobo Glo
Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Did View Post
but I definitely don't think a light being whiter and/or brighter automatically makes it the best light to read in. If that were the case then we might as well all buy tablets!.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #18
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Did View Post
I think Amazon's marketing of the Paperwhite has done a great job in convincing people that a brighter, whiter light is the best light for reading. Goodereader especially seem to rate the various models according to the brightness and whiteness of the display, and rate the Nook Glowlight below the Kobo Glo partly because the Glo has the brighter light. Yet I don't think the Nook was ever designed to be startlingly bright and white, but rather the optimum light for reading, "softer" and "warmer" than an LCD. Of course, whether it is or not is another question, but I definitely don't think a light being whiter and/or brighter automatically makes it the best light to read in. If that were the case then we might as well all buy tablets!

I've played with a couple of Kobo Glos in the store and can't say I noticed them being particularly bluish, but even if they're bluer than the Paperwhite, I don't see why that should necessarily make them worse to read on. On the other hand, the light was a LOT more uniform than many pictures of the Paperwhite I've seen here, which probably is something that would make for a better reading experience.
This was one of the main reasons why I picked the glo over the paperwhite. After seeing the glo in the flesh and seeing how uniform the lighting was compared to the videos and pictures of the paperwhite. I found the glo's light to be comfortable but I do wonder if the ultra white light of the paperwhite would have given me some eye strain as I do have problems with my eyes and suffer from strain under bright lights.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I didn't watch the whole thing but think you guys are being uneccessarily picky here. Yes they definitely should have kept the Glo's light turned down a bit, but they did show the light at similar levels and even then the Paperwhite's light looked better, though they did mention that the Glo's light being brighter as a good thing (just the blue tinge was the negative).

I agree with Katy Did though, it's not something I particularly noticed when looking at the Glo instore (although that was under bright shop lights and not in the dark, so not particularly helpful). I doubt it's really going to be much of an issue under standard use, perhaps the Paperwhite's light is a little less blue, but unless you are looking at them both at the same time, it's probably something you are never going to notice, and it's balanced out by the fact that the Glo's light distribution at the bottom of the screen is better masked.

They later mention that the screen resolutions are pretty similar but that the Glo was more versatile with better customisation, SD card and a on/off button for the light etc.

Also, if people are complaining that they didn't show a Kindle with green splotches, perhaps they should have and lined it up against a Glo with a couple of glowing light pixels? No, instead they have showed two screens with no faults....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
I said this before in the other topic, i don't find the review useful at all, not because I consider it biased, but just because it's not good for my standards, they always have long reviews but always seem to lack some information.
They did not say about the "normal" shadows from the bottom, they did not set both units to same font, size etc., they went with full light when they should have done it to equal.
So why a reviewer can't say nothing about blotches? a reviewer is picky, they should be the best at this kind of stuff, they did not even bother to change the solid bottom bar from kobo, not to mention they say the kobo back is a swapable part...
To twist it more, I saw some blotches on the review KPW vs nook so it's not like they have the holy graal of KPW.
I also wanted to see a close up with focus on the screens with liht off/minimum between the 2...
This is a better reviewer, and he is alone ) Review KPW from 02:30 to 03.12 why does he saw blotches and the bottom shadows? because he used the unit first maybe...
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Personally, I have a stock set of line spacings, margins and font sizes plus other bits and pieces in a stylesheet that I use in all the ebooks I modify just to keep a consistent appearance. Nothing like buying three ebooks in a series and finding the default font size ranges from .8em to 1.4em which makes switching between books to check information a PITA. Book 1, she's a niece, book 2 she's a daughter, book 3 she's a granddaughter. Either poor author continuity or a family that takes kissing cousins to a whole new level.

Sample for the body style I use:

display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
text-align: left;
word-wrap: break-word;
widows: 2;
orphans: 2;

Regards,
David
Great information! I'll keep that as a reference and try it. It's indeed much annoying to have sideloaded books with all kinds of weird formatting.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I note that they were pretty critical of the Kobo store (and for good reason! I hope you saw that Mr Kobo). Amazon does have a much better web/store/system and it is frustrating that Kobo hasn't done anything to lift its game on this issue. Yes, I know you don't have to buy books from them but they should strive for you to want to buy from them.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I note that they were pretty critical of the Kobo store (and for good reason! I hope you saw that Mr Kobo). Amazon does have a much better web/store/system and it is frustrating that Kobo hasn't done anything to lift its game on this issue. Yes, I know you don't have to buy books from them but they should strive for you to want to buy from them.
The kobo store reminds me of the Google play store, the layout is not as good as say the amazon store or iTunes store but it has some useful sections in there if you have the time to explore.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If your sideloaded book has margins and line spacing set in the stylesheets or directly in the xhtml code, the Kobo will not override it. Font size is also affected as the Kobo starts with the ebooks font size and modifies it from there -- a book that uses 1.33em as the default font size will have text about 33% larger than a book that uses 1em as the default font size at the same font size setting.

Personally, I have a stock set of line spacings, margins and font sizes plus other bits and pieces in a stylesheet that I use in all the ebooks I modify just to keep a consistent appearance. Nothing like buying three ebooks in a series and finding the default font size ranges from .8em to 1.4em which makes switching between books to check information a PITA. Book 1, she's a niece, book 2 she's a daughter, book 3 she's a granddaughter. Either poor author continuity or a family that takes kissing cousins to a whole new level.

Sample for the body style I use:

display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
text-align: left;
word-wrap: break-word;
widows: 2;
orphans: 2;

Regards,
David
Hi

Can you please explain in a bit more detail how you implement this "Style". Is is something in Calibre you just copy and past into the Extra CSS section of "Look and Feel" in "Convert Books". If so, do you make any other adjustments? I find that in "Look and Feel" if I tick "Remove spacing between paragraphs" and also in Filter Style Information tick Fonts and Margins (to "remove" them) then I can adjust most things to how i want them.

If not, where else do you make these adjustments?
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

All this talk of being blue. I wouldn't describe my KG as blue, a least not perceptibly and certainly not on medium power. I had a Nook Glowlight, now that could be described as 'blue'. I will say the KG is too bright on full power, I suspect the KPW has the brightness limited to keep it whiter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLtT...3&feature=plcp

Last edited by mrmoo; 10-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #26
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Wouldn't you think anyone would simply adjust the brightness down on the Kobo Glo if they felt it too bright and regard a greater range of brightness as a plus? Talk about biased reviewers... or at the least idiots.

More importantly why didn't they adjust the brightness on any of the units? Perhaps the Kindle does not look so great or evenly lit at lower than max power?

With all the talk of blueness, it makes me wonder if the next innovation will be offering warm white LEDs or RGB units so you pick your own color mix for the background? Might be nice with a light red background to preserve night vision...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #27
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoo View Post
All this talk of being blue. I wouldn't describe my KG as blue, a least not perceptibly and certainly not on medium power. I had a Nook Glowlight, now that could be described as 'blue'. I will say the KG is too bright on full power, I suspect the KPW has the brightness limited to keep it whiter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLtT...3&feature=plcp

I know, especially in the dark it is not blue. Interestingly in that video it was the nook that was obviously blue and the Kobo even at max brightness was only off white compared to the kindle when it was turned down it was virtually the same as the kindle. Yet they kept saying that the kobo was the most blue. They also seem to forget the fact that the light can be turned down! There are more than 2 settings max or off ! I think they are a bit obsessed with blue lights because even in the review they did of the kindle paperwhite on its own they were saying it was blue as well. They seemed a bit biased to me, they didn't even adjust the text size on the nook to make it a fair comparison and the page turn test was ridiculous sometimes they were not even touching the glo because his fingers couldn't stretch that far!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #28
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd give the advantage to the Kobo since its light is stronger than the Kindle. Which means you have, for those who like it more choice towards stronger light and lower light for the others like me.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #29
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

They also missed the double tap to zoom pdf's.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
They're kind of idiots alright. It's too bad that the Kobo doesn't have a slider so that the brightness can be turned down to a more acceptable level. Perhaps our good reader friends can suggest that for Kobo's next iteration.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote