Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
No 3G. BN announced a while back that they were going to move to WiFi only.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
It could be something as simple as a new eInk reader with upgraded screen and mr. monkey states above. The original nook is getting a bit dated.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
By "Nook tablets", I take it they mean the Nook Color? I'm surprised the Nook (EInk) has so little market share.
They must mean to include the original Nook, otherwise they wouldn't compare it to the Kindle and call them both tablets.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't see them getting rid of the LCD screen, unless the Mirasol rumors are true (unlikely, because such a display would probably make it significantly more expensive than current Nook). One of the Nook's selling points is the full color cover flow. But they could add touch to the eink screen to make things a little more usable. Might be a little slimmer/smaller too.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't see them getting rid of the LCD screen, unless the Mirasol rumors are true (unlikely, because such a display would probably make it significantly more expensive than current Nook). One of the Nook's selling points is the full color cover flow. But they could add touch to the eink screen to make things a little more usable. Might be a little slimmer/smaller too.
I never use the full color cover flow, neither does hubby... would trade that for full e-ink touchscreen in a heartbeat. I guess it all depends on the user.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I have a NC, which was pretty lame until I unlocked it and installed gingerbread. Now I can use fbreader, moonreader, etc. -- and am quite happy with it (except it's too heavy). What I don't understand is why BN "upgraded" their software to a version that only lets you download a few apps. This makes me think they don't get it and that any new reader will be pretty limited unless and until it can be unlocked to run the full Android or Honeycomb OS. Mirasol seems like a pipe dream, but you never know. I hope it doesn't happen, as then I'd have to buy it.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #22
naguz
naguz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am surprised if they even call something with a lcd screen an e-reader. :P

Would be great ofsomething with a irasol screen comes out, though, Would be nice to be able to read comic books in the sun as well (in digital form.)
naguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by naguz View Post
I am surprised if they even call something with a lcd screen an e-reader. :P
And your definition of an eReader is?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
naguz
naguz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
That it'd actually be fit for reading on for a longer periof of time. That requires an epaper screen.

Even if a manufacturar calls a tablet an ereader and puts some relevant software on a tablet, it is still exactly that - a tablet
naguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
This close to release date, how come there are no pics?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by naguz View Post
That it'd actually be fit for reading on for a longer periof of time. That requires an epaper screen.
Why? Plenty of people have no problem reading from an LCD for extended periods of time. Some people also have problems reading from an eInk screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
This close to release date, how come there are no pics?
I'd assume we'll see pics on announcement day. As to whether that will be the release day for the device or not, who knows.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd like the screen to be touchscreen. I'm only concerned that the touchscreen will degrade the quality of the display. I understand that is the reason that the Kindle doesn't have touchscreen.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
I'd like the screen to be touchscreen. I'm only concerned that the touchscreen will degrade the quality of the display. I understand that is the reason that the Kindle doesn't have touchscreen.
If they do the touch screen the way Sony's done it on their current models then the display won't be degraded.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why? Plenty of people have no problem reading from an LCD for extended periods of time. Some people also have problems reading from an eInk screen.

I'd assume we'll see pics on announcement day. As to whether that will be the release day for the device or not, who knows.
Usually someone has already had it and evaluated it by then haven't they? At any rate, great avatar!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I never use the full color cover flow, neither does hubby... would trade that for full e-ink touchscreen in a heartbeat. I guess it all depends on the user.
I suggested it was how nook was sold (bright shiny objects sell better), not necessarily how it is used. <g>
I would be more in your camp - covers are not important to me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote