Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
publicjj
publicjj began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Wifi version kindle and which email address

Hello, I am new here and would like to hear your thoughts and facts.

FACT1 - I have a kindle 3 WIFI (please do not talk about 3G)
FACT2 - I know the difference between "kindle.com" vs "free.kindle.com"

What happens if I use the email address "name@kindle.com"
Is there a reason that I should still use "name@free.kindle.com" ?

(Please before you reply, remember that I have wifi only)
publicjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Doesn't matter either way for the K3 WiFi. Using either address will deliver via WiFi + give you the email to sideload via USB.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
publicjj
publicjj began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Not sideloading for USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Doesn't matter either way for the K3 WiFi. Using either address will deliver via WiFi + give you the email to sideload via USB.

I understand that sending to either address will deliver directly to K3.
But what do you mean by "sideload via USB" ? I don't think USB is needed here.
publicjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I don't know if this is what you need to know, but I will tell you what I do:
If I have a book or document that I want on my Kindle, I convert it to mobi format (with Calibre) and then send it to my kindle at the "free" email address.
I have not done it yet, but I suppose that if I had a document that I could not convert, then I might email it to the "non-free" address and see if Amazon could do the appropriate conversion (for a fee) and send it to me.
Be it right or wrong, that's what I do and it works fine for me.

BTW: sideload via USB means to plug your K3 to your computer via the USB cable and do the transfers that way.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicjj View Post
But what do you mean by "sideload via USB" ? I don't think USB is needed here.
The email service that Amazon runs also does file conversion for you if you don't wish to do it yourself using software such as Calibre.

You email the file to them and they'll automaticially deliver the file if you turn on your Kindle and enable wireless. They also send you an email reply containing a URL that lets you download and transfer the file across to your Kindle manually using USB.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I have not done it yet, but I suppose that if I had a document that I could not convert, then I might email it to the "non-free" address and see if Amazon could do the appropriate conversion (for a fee) and send it to me.
The conversion is the same and free for both the regular @kindle.com address and @free.kindle.com address. It is the actual 3G delivery that costs money. The conversion service, USB sideloading and WiFi delivery are all free and don't cost anything.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
That tends to get confusing. My understanding is that if you have a 3g Kindle, you should use the @free.kindle.com address in order to get the free transfer. If you have wifi only, @kindle.com is all you need and is free.

From:http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200505520

"In general, send personal documents to your "name"@free.kindle.com address to wirelessly transfer personal documents to your Kindle over Wi-Fi as well as to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account at no charge.

If you are not able to connect your Kindle via Wi-Fi, send your documents to your "name"@kindle.com address. The files will be sent to your Kindle over Wi-Fi if available. If Wi-Fi is not available, the files will be sent via 3G for a small fee."

I'm not sure what qualifies as a personal document. If I buy a book at a store other than Amazon and send it to my Kindle, is that considered a personal document?

If so, I've done that a number of times without charge on my wifi K3 using the @kindle.com email address.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I'm not sure what qualifies as a personal document. If I buy a book at a store other than Amazon and send it to my Kindle, is that considered a personal document? If so, I've done that a number of times without charge on my wifi K3 using the @kindle.com email address.
There are websites like Project Gutenberg where you can access the website from your Kindle browser and just download the kindle file straight on to your Kindle - you don't input any email at all to do this. And it is free to download the file.

Any site which requires that you add their email onto your Manage Your Kindle page on the Amazon store and also needs your Kindle email to deliver files is classed as sending your Kindle "personal documents" and that is where those who have a 3G enabled Kindle need to be mindful that a small fee may be involved. So either set your personal document limit to 0.00 or use the free kindle address in this instance if you don't want to risk getting charged.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I found this just now from another post just down the list:
If you have a Wifi+3G, and you send it to the @free.kindle.com, it will only download once you're in range of Wifi. If you're out and about, you won't get the delivery.

If you have the WIfi+3G and you send it to the @kindle.com addy, it will download via Wifi if you're in range, for free, or via the cellular connection if you're away from wifi, in which case it charges you.

Since I have a wifi only K3, I can only d/l when in range of a hotspot so I'll never get charged and don't need to worry about setting my max fee to $0.00.

I should have clarified that I d/l my non-Amazon purchases to my PC and via calibre, send them via email to my K3 using the @kindle.com address. I only sideload if the filesize is too big to send via email.

I haven't tried Project Gutenberg yet. Will have to check them out.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The conversion is the same and free for both the regular @kindle.com address and @free.kindle.com address. It is the actual 3G delivery that costs money. The conversion service, USB sideloading and WiFi delivery are all free and don't cost anything.
Thanks for clearing that up!
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote