Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Jurek
Jurek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Obtaining page numbers

Hello,

I know the subject of page numbers generation in Calibre for use on Kindle has been covered many times, but despite many searches I have never found an answer to my simple problem.

To be clear I will use 2 examples:

1) I bought a book on my Kindle Voyage, and saw it had no page numbers, only locations. I plugged my Kindle to my computer via USB, and added the book to Calibre. Then I send the book back to the Kindle by the same channel. And it had page numbers.

I now had 2 versions of the same book on my Kindle. One, also in the cloud, was without page numbers. The other coming from Calibre had page numbers.

At this point, I wish to say that I don't care whether the page numbers are the same as in the paper version. All I want is to deal with numbers that make sense to me. This book is 1685 pages long. I am currently on page 978. This means something to me, while to know that I am on location 13407 out of 23030 is meaningless and difficult to remember.

2) I downloaded a free epub ebook to my computer. I added this epub to Calibre, and converted it to Mobi. I then plugged in my Kindle to the computer via USB and sent the Mobi file to the Kindle.

This book has no page numbers. Is there a way to have page numbers in this case?

I looked for an APNX file, and didn't find it anywhere.

Thank you in advance for you help. By the way, the book I had bought in the first example above was in English, an American translation of an Italian book. I live in France, and almost none of the books available from the Kindle store have page numbers, a policy of Amazon difficult to understand.
Jurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Check the count page numbers plugin. If I recall correctly it generates apnx for kindle books. I don't have kindle so not sure but it should get you most of what you want.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Jurek
Jurek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks Dopedangel, but the count page numbers plugin does not create apnx files. I found the solution to my problem here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=18

So now I use the following method:

I send my Mobi file from Calibre to my regular email address. I then send it as an attachment from my computer to my kindle address, which puts it in the cloud as well (this double step is required as direct mailing from Calibre to the Kindle does not work).

I generate an APNX file according to the description in the above article. This is in my computer outside of Calibre.

Then I a plug my Kindle to my computer via USB, find the SDR folder in the Kindle documents and copy the APNX file into it.

Note: The name of the APNX file must be strictly the same as those of the files in the Kindle documents. I have found that those names can be inordinately long, with characters and digits added. The APNX file refuses to be be renamed with such a long name. The solution then is to shorten the names of all the related files in the Kindle documents (Mobi, AZW, etc.).

The Kindle book now has page numbers, and since you provide the number of pages yourself, it is easy to find out how many pages the paper version has and enter the same number, thus providing a reading experience that parallels the "real" book.
Jurek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apnx, calibre, kindle, page number