Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #31
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have been able to read a 8 gig card with my EZreader.
Yes, RobertB said that the 'supported' card size limits are not 'hardware' or 'software' limits, but has to do with 'performance'. When the card gets too big (and potentially has TOO many books on it), it can slow the machine WAY down. I believe it's been said that the 6" will work with up to either 8G or 16G
(I forget which) and the 5" will work with up to 32G. But they may be slow.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #32
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
My normal card I use is the 2 gig card that came with my EZReader.
Chuck
PS I even use it to do firmware updates

Last edited by cvkemp; 09-07-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: checked what I typed
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 AM   #33
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Good News

I decided to go to the source, so I looked up the Jinke web site, and I found a support bulletin board where I posted a question about the slow page turning as well as suggesting a possible solution.

Anyway, there was a response that said:
=====================================
Hi emellaich,

The kernel program will solve this problem.In the future,it will be uploaded to the web site. One of my friends said

I don't want to put too much emphasis on this, because it's not clear how much this person represents Jinke, and when the future will be. However, if history is any guide, Jinke delivers updates quickly and it will be sooner rather than later.

MLH

========edit below =====================
OK, I found another note by this same person and it does seem they are an official Jinke rep. I think I will mark the informal phrasing to their being a non-native english speaker.

Last edited by emellaich; 09-08-2009 at 11:46 AM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #34
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I decided to go to the source, so I looked up the Jinke web site, and I found a support bulletin board where I posted a question about the slow page turning as well as suggesting a possible solution.

Anyway, there was a response that said:
Hi emellaich,

The kernel program will solve this problem.In the future,it will be uploaded to the web site. One of my friends said

I don't want to put too much emphasis on this, because it's not clear how much this person represents Jinke, and when the future will be. However, if history is any guide, Jinke delivers updates quickly and it will be sooner rather than later.

MLH

========edit below =====================
OK, I found another note by this same person and it does seem they are an official Jinke rep. I think I will mark the informal phrasing to their being a non-native english speaker.
I hope it does improve, even though "1.8 seconds" is not too bad, I'd like it faster
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #35
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Personally, page turns are slower than I expected, but not horribly so. After a little while reading you get in the habit of hitting the button at the beginning of the last line or so on your page, and that's it. It would be nice if it could be sped up some with a firmware update, but I'd honestly place that behind adding a new font size somewhere between the two smallest for ePub, hyperlinks in ePub, and eReader support.

My wife, who reads incredibly fast, read a book on my Pocket Pro yesterday, and it didn't even bother her much, although I suspect she would place fixing it a little higher on the priority list than I do.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #36
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Recurring mention of new font size

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
Personally, page turns are slower than I expected, but not horribly so. After a little while reading you get in the habit of hitting the button at the beginning of the last line or so on your page, and that's it. It would be nice if it could be sped up some with a firmware update, but I'd honestly place that behind adding a new font size somewhere between the two smallest for ePub, hyperlinks in ePub, and eReader support.

My wife, who reads incredibly fast, read a book on my Pocket Pro yesterday, and it didn't even bother her much, although I suspect she would place fixing it a little higher on the priority list than I do.
I read all the notes; but one sticks out... the font size is too small at level 1 and too large at level 2. I will again bring this up to the factory.

Two new firmware upgrades are eminent (next few days we expect): one for the 5 inch and one for the 6 inch! We know that hyperlinks and other bugs are being addressed. Perhaps it will also solve this font size issue.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I love the fact that Astak is on the ball with updating and informing Jinke of issues.

I also love the fact that Jinke has been on the ball with constant firmware upgrades. How many firmware updates have there been since the 6"EZ was shipped? More than I would expect from other more popular companies I would expect.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That is what I love about my EZreader. There is a choice of firmware and also now we have Robert and others listening, this is just going to make the Ezreader line so much better that it will grow and become well known.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Could the slow response be related to the people who have not had a chance to charge, and cycle, the battery several times. Remember, as all of you have been stating, you need to charge it for 12 hours, then cycle the charging several times before the batter monitor catches up. Could this be related to the sluggish response?

Shouldn't be related to that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #40
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing with my Sony 505 which I've only had about a week. Just seemed natural to me. I must admit though sometimes I get over-anxious and push the button too soon.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #41
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I can confirm that the newest firmware (dated 2009-09-09) has resolved the issue with the lag after pressing the page turn button. Now I can go ahead and recommend the EZ Reader Pocket Pro to friends.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:13 AM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I can confirm that the newest firmware (dated 2009-09-09) has resolved the issue with the lag after pressing the page turn button. Now I can go ahead and recommend the EZ Reader Pocket Pro to friends.
I'm a bit confused. the only update I see is for the 6" EZ Reader not for the Pocket Pro.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #43
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm a bit confused. the only update I see is for the 6" EZ Reader not for the Pocket Pro.

At theezreader.com, you should see a firmware download for the Pocket Pro under Support->Firmware Download. I just checked again, in case they might have pulled the link, and it's still there.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #44
kennyc

Hmmmm, I see it as described by you. That site is kinda weird though If I choose Faqs there is a "firmware download" link to a page that only lists the 6" and then you can't seem to get back to that dropdown where the firmware update is listed....

Thanks. I'm not sure what version of SW will be in mine as it was shipped yesterday, I'll probably need to update it once it arrives.

Hmmmmm. Did the download but.....it's an RAR file. What??? is that? It says in the instructions it should be a Zip file??

I'm beginning to question my decision to purchase....

Okay after a bit of googling I had to download winrar to open/extract it. But why in the world isn't it just a zip file like the description/instruction says???

Last edited by kennyc; 09-10-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #45
kennyc

As far as slowness of paging. I just watched the review at ZD and the paging looks faster than what I see on my Sony 505.