Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
fillyfooler
fillyfooler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3 Keyboard died, need suggestions for replacement

I have been using the same Kindle 3 Keyboard since it came out, haven't had any issues with it aside from a couple freezes that a reset fixed. About a week ago now though, it completely died. Plugging it in to charge gets the orange charging light for an hour or two, then goes out. Power light never turns green now. Computer does not recognize it as plugged in, the screen does not respond at all, and no amount of holding power slider or home or typing reset or even shorting the reset leads on the motherboard itself yields any response at all. Replaced the battery and still no change at all.

So I have come to the conclusion that I need to get a new device. I loved my old kindle to pieces, and want something that functions similarly, without extraneous fluff that I won't use. I absolutely do not want a touch screen. I have no need for a browser, wifi, dictionary, highlighting, notes, dictionary, video, audio, or even color.

I just need to be able to put my stories on through calibre and read them. That's it. The longer the battery lasts between charges (at least one book's worth) the better. Would I be best off looking for an older model used kindle or some other kind?
fillyfooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:16 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyfooler View Post
Would I be best off looking for an older model used kindle or some other kind?
Probably yes, if you don't want a touchscreen. Of course there's no telling how long the battery will last on an older device. Might not last very long.

On the 2017 Kindle Oasis you can turn the touchscreen off while reading. But its price is probably a bit too high if you don't need a larger screen or other bells and whistles.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyfooler View Post
I just need to be able to put my stories on through calibre and read them. That's it. The longer the battery lasts between charges (at least one book's worth) the better. Would I be best off looking for an older model used kindle or some other kind?
You can pick up another (used) Kindle 3 for about $30 on Amazon (sold through Amazon Warehouse) and eligible for Prime Shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wirele...words=kindle+3

You can also find them pretty cheap on eBay or Shop Goodwill now.

I'm guessing your old one has a bad battery ... and it's not too hard to replace those on the Kindle 3 either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-OEM-NEW...kAAOSw5cNYWAyY

YouTube video on how to do it ... (this company also sells the battery)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKqr3t35HM
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing your old one has a bad battery ... and it's not too hard to replace those on the Kindle 3 either.
The OP said "Replaced the battery and still no change at all."
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Probably yes, if you don't want a touchscreen. Of course there's no telling how long the battery will last on an older device. Might not last very long.

On the 2017 Kindle Oasis you can turn the touchscreen off while reading. But its price is probably a bit too high if you don't need a larger screen or other bells and whistles.
There's no way to get around having to use the touchscreen to input text on a current device, though. If a physical keyboard is a dealbreaker, I don't see the alternative to secondhand older device, with all the potential problems that implies.

Don't know where the OP is, but if it's the US and s/he'd be satisfied with page turn buttons but having to input text on a touchscreen, I think the GlowLight3 would be a good choice. I also think there's a good chance that the OP would be surprised and pleased by how very much better the reading experience is with higher resolution and a frontlight.

The TL;DR answer is to go someplace where they have display models of any reader at all, to get a feel for how things have changed since the Keyboard came out.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
I got a glowlight3 because it has page turn buttons and a colour shifting front light as a replacement for my k3 before it dies on me. So far I like it for reading, I don't use shelves and just search for the book (all side loaded) for the one I want. I find that having a touch screen isn't as bad as i thought and found that i swipe to change pages about have the time.

I am in Canada and still find the glowlight a very usable device.
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The OP said "Replaced the battery and still no change at all."
Missed that. Sorry. If the OP has the Kindle 3 open, maybe he can try crossing the reset contacts with a small screwdriver. This sometimes fixes the issue mentioned. (Also, it might be worth trying a charger with a bit higher wattage.)

http://www.nickengerer.org/personal-...eyboard-d00901
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you don't want a touch screen, then my suggestion is to get a used Kindle Keyboard (I have 4 of them). How folders are organized is quite different in the current kindle models, which is actually pretty annoying to me. Watch Woot.com daily for arrival of the latest Kindle Keyboards. They come up less often, so you have to be ready to strike.

Ebay often has K3s. If it's been sitting in a drawer for 2 years, it may not hold a good charge - so keep that in mind.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-13-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The screens are enormously better on modern devices. For me personally, the actual experience of reading is much more pleasurable on a modern front-lit screen than on the K3 with no lighting and an older, significantly lower-contrast, eInk screen. Front-lighting is, for me, the single greatest advance in the evolution of reading devices. I really couldn't conceive of going back to an unlit reader.

Could I ask why it is you're so dead set against touch screens?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
While new devices have a touch screen there are new devices that also have buttons so you don't need to use the touch screen unless you want to select something.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote